Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show options  (Read 1525 times)

willie04

Game show options
« on: June 07, 2008, 11:46:03 PM »
Hi guys,
What is the industry norm regarding game show creators?
can they score a job with the network?
is the concept an outright sale
can the rights be sold on a 2-3 year deal to network
Looking through the Hollywood creative directory, I don't see an game show creators?
does this mean that the likes of Frementalmedia, granada and eyeworks buy up all the game show
thanks
willie04

MrGameShow

Game show options
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 03:35:33 PM »
Well, let's see how many of these I can knock off the board :)

Generally, game show producers have their own production companies outside of a network (per say Mark Goodson Productions). They come up with a concept and 'pitch' it to several networks until someone expresses an interest in putting up the money to produce a PILOT episode. Once that is shot and edited, there's several things that happen with that episode in order to see what type of reactions will come from it. If the feedback is positive, then the network will order a certain number of episodes to be shot with "real" contestants to be aired. If ratings are good for a few episodes, they have the option to order more to be made.

I made be corrected by the people in the know, but generally these days networks start with 6 shows, option up to 13 for a one-night-a-week show.. and multi-week shows range 40-65.. and daytime shows go about 200?

Rights to a show are generally written into the contracts set to expire after a period of time of inactivity. Thus per say Fremantle couldn't just take PRICE IS RIGHT from CBS one week and drop it on NBC the next if CBS cancelled it.

Concepts remain with the production company, and the network hires the production company to produce and deliver the shows to them by a set deadline.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game show options
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »
Rights to a show are generally written into the contracts set to expire after a period of time of inactivity. Thus per say Fremantle couldn't just take PRICE IS RIGHT from CBS one week and drop it on NBC the next if CBS cancelled it.
Sure they could. CBS has no ownership interest in TPIR and Fremantle could do whatever they please once their obligation to deliver shows to CBS has lapsed.

willie04

Game show options
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 05:51:21 AM »
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you guys,
thank you for your replys
most that I have spoken to here,
say pitch the networks, with a pilot in your hands,
are their any other options besides this

thanks
willie04