Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Make a Deal Question  (Read 4082 times)

JayDLewis

Let's Make a Deal Question
« on: August 03, 2008, 05:20:59 PM »
On this past Saturday's episode, the top winner won $1,600 cash and declined to go for the Big Deal.

The next couple Monty asked had been Zonked, trading away $600 for a camel.

I always though if you got zonked with a gag prize (LMaD Piggy Bank, giant rocking horse, etc) then you were out of contention for the Big Deal.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 05:26:04 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'193246\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 04:20 PM\']
I always though if you got zonked with a gag prize (LMaD Piggy Bank, giant rocking horse, etc) then you were out of contention for the Big Deal.
[/quote]

I've not heard that one - remember, though the Zonks were largely undesirable prizes, they were still legitimate winnings (a few folks even took delivery of their zonks over the years).  On the rare instance that two contestants before you didn't deal into the Big Deal, you were still fully eligible.  It just didn't happen very often as usually Monty could find two people beforehand to go for it.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 06:05:07 PM »
I realize this is ridiculously unlikely, but what would have happened if Monty couldn't find two players who wanted to trade their winnings for the Big Deal?

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »
Yes...but what if nobody got zonked all night?

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 06:18:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\']
I realize this is ridiculously unlikely, but what would have happened if Monty couldn't find two players who wanted to trade their winnings for the Big Deal?[/quote]

"You can either have an elephant, or trade it in for what will almost assuredly be some combination of furniture, travel, cash, and/or cars"

"I'll take the elephant"

I know you said ridiculously unlikely, but just because of the above scenario, I honestly would doubt if they thought the proposition far enough to come up with an out in case it happened - just because it's doubtful that no one's THAT stupid.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 06:24:35 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'193246\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 04:20 PM\']
[/quote]

Sometimes, I shrewdly wish that were the case. That said, I don't think it ever was [I'm sure Steve G. is right on as to why].
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 06:25:21 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 06:24:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'193252\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 06:13 PM\']
I know you said ridiculously unlikely, but just because of the above scenario, I honestly would doubt if they thought the proposition far enough to come up with an out in case it happened - just because it's doubtful that no one's THAT stupid.[/quote]
Well, it's not THAT unlikely.  They could easily go a whole show without a zonk.  If everybody who played ended up with something relatively nice, nobody's being asked to trade away their elephant.

For the record, I have a vivid memory of an original 70s airing where they went far enough down the line that someone traded a six-pack of cola (Nehi, I think) for a chance at the Big Deal.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 06:47:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'193247\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 05:26 PM\']I've not heard that one - remember, though the Zonks were largely undesirable prizes, they were still legitimate winnings . . .  It just didn't happen very often as usually Monty could find two people beforehand to go for it.[/quote]
I can recall an early episode of All-New LMAD where, thanks to only having a few players, two people who got zonked ended up in the Big Deal.

Another example was someone ending up with a sleigh and donkey(?) and ended up pretty high in the pecking order because the sleigh had legitimate value to it.
This signature is currently under construction.

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 09:25:52 PM »
I think the zonked players had lower priority over the prize winning players, regardless of the value of the zonk (if it's an animal or something)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 11:16:10 PM »
I clearly recall another ep from '84 where they got down to a couple who had "won" three barrels of chicken fat.
@lambertman

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 12:33:25 AM »
This is wild speculation not intended as an actual answer, but I can imagine Monty eventually resorting to asking contestants for hard-boiled eggs and the like just to get players.

Surely there was a provision in the rules--if not when the show premiered, then shortly after the first time they had to resort to inviting zonked players into the Big Deal.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

narzo

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »
and I think cash many times trumped prizes.  I've seen where someone with a large prize value would get a choice behind someone with a large sum of cash to put up.  A $3500 trip win, for instance, might make you second choice after a $3000 cash winner.  I'm sure Monty took into consideration the actual cost to the show vs.  "retail value"

WhirlieBird74

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 05:46:46 PM »
One thing you have to consider when people are zonked with live animals:  Its value.  I remember a foreward Monty Hall wrote for Marla Schramm-Schwartz's book "How to Get on a Game Show and Win!"

In it, he talks about the one guy who was zonked with an elephant, was offered a chance for the Big Deal (which he declined), and insisted on keeping it.  According to FCC regulations, whatever was presented to the contestant, they had to take it.

Normally, the people at Hatos-Hall Productions would have 'Zonked' contestants sign an affadavit of forfeiture and accept a reasonable prize (such as a TV, Stereo, Refrigerator, etc.) in return.

As for the guy who wanted the elephant, Monty had to shell out $30,000 to the person, in exchange for the animal--as it was the going rate then.

alfonzos

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 06:47:14 PM »
When recruiting participants for the Big Deal, Monty would ask contestants in the order of the retail value of the amount they won. If enough people turned him down, zonked players would be asked. I have seen episodes of LMaD where Monty has cycled through the contestants and not gotten two players. He would go through the list a second time. For some reason, someone would change her mind and they would move on.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 07:55:12 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'193342\' date=\'Aug 4 2008, 06:47 PM\']
When recruiting participants for the Big Deal, Monty would ask contestants in the order of the retail value of the amount they won. If enough people turned him down, zonked players would be asked. I have seen episodes of LMaD where Monty has cycled through the contestants and not gotten two players. He would go through the list a second time. For some reason, someone would change her mind and they would move on.
[/quote]

Has there ever been a time in which Monty only got ONE player/couple for the Big Deal?  

I wouldn't see a problem if only one "dealer" traded their stash/zonk for a big door -- it would just mean that Monty would have a better chance in NOT giving away the Big Deal.