Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gladiators: Season 3  (Read 8126 times)

tvmitch

Gladiators: Season 3
« on: August 04, 2008, 09:22:15 PM »
What would be the top 3 things you would change for AG S3? My top choices:

-Extend Atlasphere to 1:30 or 2 minutes to give contenders the time to get used to the game
-Significantly increase possible points in Powerball
-One point = one second in Eliminator

I am nitpicking, because I think the remake is very good. But I think this would make an interesting thread.
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 10:10:49 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry! The answer we were going for was "shiatcan Hogan." That's "shiatcan Hogan." Thanks for playing, though, did you have a good time?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 10:40:27 PM »
Would it be that difficult to bring back Mike Adamle, even if he's just the Disembodied Play-by-Play Guy?
-Joe Raygor

xavier45

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:44:37 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'193364\' date=\'Aug 4 2008, 10:40 PM\']
Would it be that difficult to bring back Mike Adamle, even if he's just the Disembodied Play-by-Play Guy?
[/quote]
Now if you bring him back, you have to make him General Manager of American Gladiators.

jmangin

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:49:13 PM »
I would paint the Pyramid purple.

//New fonts, aaah!!! <cries>

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 11:24:08 PM »
[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'193365\' date=\'Aug 4 2008, 07:44 PM\']
Now if you bring him back, you have to make him General Manager of American Gladiators.[/quote]
I lol'd.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 12:24:42 AM »
The hosts, gratuitous smack talk and WWE-style roughness.
--Matt

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 12:27:01 AM »
[quote name=\'mparrish11\' post=\'193379\' date=\'Aug 4 2008, 11:24 PM\']
The hosts, gratuitous smack talk and WWE-style roughness.
[/quote]

In other words, the whole show.

/not that some of us can't get past it...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

DrJWJustice

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 12:36:11 AM »
What would I change?  I'd actually make the show more game than glitz.  Maybe then we wouldn't have to settle for just highlights from some events that supposedly didn't affect the outcome.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 12:41:32 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'193380\' date=\'Aug 4 2008, 09:27 PM\'][quote name=\'mparrish11\' post=\'193379\' date=\'Aug 4 2008, 11:24 PM\']The hosts, gratuitous smack talk and WWE-style roughness.[/quote]In other words, the whole show.[/quote]If getting rid of the "extra stuff", and that meant there was room for an extra event or two, I'd consider that a good trade. Then again, I preferred the AG of old, which didn't have to resort to inane host chatter, catchphrases and "3...2...1...we'll be back!"
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:42:18 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 01:46:29 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'193384\' date=\'Aug 5 2008, 12:41 AM\']If getting rid of the "extra stuff", and that meant there was room for an extra event or two, I'd consider that a good trade. Then again, I preferred the AG of old, which didn't have to resort to inane host chatter, catchphrases and "3...2...1...we'll be back!"[/quote]
At least in terms of pacing and lack of gimmickry, the show pretty much seemed to hit a good stride from the near-end of the prelims on, with each of the first 4 segments having a men's and women's game and the Eliminator taking up the final two segments.  Also, there was Atlasphere, a better scoring system for Gauntlet (the old one), and significantly less title sequence.  It's a shame they couldn't have figured this out sooner, because the first handful of episodes probably helped kill the show for a lot of people with the 90-minute molasses-fests and marathon Eliminators.

In terms of stuff that's still cuttable, you'd be able to fit one extra event in safely (cut out all the spoilery stuff and you might have a round of Powerball right there).  The other I'm not so sure; I like the occasional interview and enough shenanigans so the Gladiators can show off their character.

So I guess if I had to pick three improvements for Season 3, they would have to be 1) figure out the damn pacing, 2) More meat, less filler, 3) don't overextend with the newness
This signature is currently under construction.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 01:58:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'193388\' date=\'Aug 5 2008, 12:46 AM\']
2) More meat, less filler
[/quote]

http://www.askmen.com/video/images-clips/2...er_catfight.JPG

/are deciding what's better

//what?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:58:53 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Brig Bother

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 05:25:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'193388\' date=\'Aug 5 2008, 06:46 AM\']
 and significantly less title sequence. [/quote]

Ha, this was the most amusing bit, seeing how long they were prepared to extend the title sequence every time a new gladiator arrived. I think it got to about twenty minutes before they gave up and just did a sting.

* Why is a crossing on Sideswipe only worth one point when its worth two on Hit and Run which is pretty much the same game? Sort it out.

* Given that generally speaking a win is worth ten points, a draw is worth five and a loss is worth zero, I'm not liking the scoring system they bought in for Powerball and Rocketball with 1 and 2 point baskets - there was nothing wrong with 2 and 3 points, and it would make the buckets a bit more meaningful and the scores a bit more cohesive with the rest of the events where currently a score of 3 or 4 is seen as a amazing. Failing that, making them 2 and 5 has worked quite well in the UK one, it makes the middle bucket properly worth a risk.

* But to be honest, unless they can be brave and shorten/tighten up the Eliminator so the time variances are less massive it's all much of a muchness anyway. Unfortunately it's not very likely to happen as the immutible law of US TV is that it can only become BIGGER! TOUGHER! and MORE BADASS! which is, you know, a shame.

cool245

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 09:02:01 AM »
Let both contenders score ten in Pyramid instead of just one.

Orion

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 10:10:49 AM »
The only thing that would make this show watchable for me is if they stopped doing so much editing of the events. I don't mind the general feel of the show, I'm occasionally amused by the gladiators' antics, etc. That stuff is fine. But I'm ultimately more interested in the game itself, and there's way too much post-production and cutting for my taste. It continues to baffle me that they can't seem to find time in an hour to show 15 minutes worth of game.

I've tried a few times (most recently one of the semifinals in season 2), but every time I try to watch the new AG I just find myself bored.