Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GA State School Superintendent on "5th Grader"  (Read 2177 times)

colonial

GA State School Superintendent on "5th Grader"
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:21:28 PM »
...I'd like to apologize if she makes the state look bad...

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/sto..._quiz_show.html

JD

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:00:22 PM »
As your link mentions, Cox will play on the same two-hour episode as former supermodel Kathy Ireland, which will air September 5th.  According to a USA TODAY article, other celebrities that will participate over the course of the season include Jennie Garth, Gene Simmons, Star Jones, Dean Cain, Sugar Ray Leonard, Jack Hanna and Ken Jennings.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

davidhammett

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:01:59 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'194653\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 07:21 PM\']
...I'd like to apologize if she makes the state look bad...

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/sto..._quiz_show.html
[/quote]
Wow... Having been a public educator in GA for fourteen years before moving to LaLa land, I can only imagine how this will turn out.  She would have to do pretty well in order for this not to reflect negatively on the schools there.  I'll definitely be watching....

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:31:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'194659\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 08:00 PM\']
...and Ken Jennings.
[/quote]

Well, at least someone will finally win the million.

Neumms

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 07:46:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'194659\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 07:00 PM\']
As your link mentions, Cox will play on the same two-hour episode as former supermodel Kathy Ireland, which will air September 5th.  According to a USA TODAY article, other celebrities that will participate over the course of the season include Jennie Garth, Gene Simmons, Star Jones, Dean Cain, Sugar Ray Leonard, Jack Hanna and Ken Jennings.
[/quote]

Dean Cain is still a celebrity? That's terrific!

HYHYBT

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 01:44:18 AM »
It won't make the *state* look bad. Her, maybe. Maybe even the school system, though people's opinion of that is low enough I can't see it doing any harm... but the state itself is beautiful :)

“The budget is in meltdown, the CRCT is a mess and you have a superintendent in Hollywood taping a game show,” said Tim Callahan, spokesman for the Professional Association of Georgia Educators, an advocacy group. “It gives new definition to the word frivolous.”
People complain about anything. Either this is supposed to mean "she should have no time off *at all* until the schools are perfect", or else "her not appearing on the show would have magically fixed the budget and sent someone back in time to stop them from changing what the test was going to cover after it was too late to teach the new material."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 01:58:27 AM by HYHYBT »
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 06:24:37 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'194918\' date=\'Aug 22 2008, 10:44 PM\']
People complain about anything. Either this is supposed to mean "she should have no time off *at all* until the schools are perfect", or else "her not appearing on the show would have magically fixed the budget and sent someone back in time to stop them from changing what the test was going to cover after it was too late to teach the new material."
[/quote]
Or, alternately, "I'm planning to run for Superintendent when her term comes up and need to start muckraking now."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

sshuffield70

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 09:44:21 AM »
Damn, that McDonald's almost beats the pants off the one in Dallas that looks like a Happy Meal. ;)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 11:34:14 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'194918\' date=\'Aug 23 2008, 01:44 AM\']
It won't make the *state* look bad. Her, maybe. Maybe even the school system, though people's opinion of that is low enough I can't see it doing any harm.[/quote]
You have a charmingly naive view of the way the world works.  Most of the rest of the country probably doesn't think much about Georgia's school system.  But if she does poorly (and if I'm not mistaken, even if she wins $500,000 she still has to say "the line"), then we all point and laugh.  And editorialists in your home state have a field day.

[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'194918\' date=\'Aug 23 2008, 01:44 AM\']People complain about anything. Either this is supposed to mean "she should have no time off *at all* until the schools are perfect", or else "her not appearing on the show would have magically fixed the budget and sent someone back in time to stop them from changing what the test was going to cover after it was too late to teach the new material."[/quote]
And again, man, you don't seem to know much about politics either.  Of COURSE this comment is politically motivated by her critic (regardless of whether he actually wants her job or just wants to show what a screw-up she is).  And all she had to do to avoid this embarrassment is not agree to appear on a stupid game show.  If I was a state superintendent, just about the last thing I'd do is appear on a game show which makes fun of adults who can't handle fifth-grade material.

If she had a school system she could point to with pride, that's an entirely different matter.  My understanding, in part from your own comments, is that this is not the case.  I can't imagine how this comes out as a positive for her professionally.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.