Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tournament of game show polls?  (Read 1937 times)

gromit82

Tournament of game show polls?
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:05:51 AM »
I am trying to recall the details about a certain poll that somebody conducted on the Internet a few years ago. The poll was to determine the favorite game show of all time, and it was structured loosely based on the NCAA basketball tournament. There were 64 shows in the poll, seeded into 4 groups of 16. From all the participants in the poll, there would be a panel selected to vote on each particular matchup of two shows, with the size of the panels increasing as the rounds went on.

I believe that the poll/tournament was conducted through a Yahoo! group, and that it was held at least three times over the years. However, I've lost track of the poll over the years, and I don't know if it's been conducted in the last couple of years.

Does anyone know whether this poll was held this year, or any other details about it? I believe it was usually held in the spring (around the time of March Madness) so it wouldn't be going on now, but I don't know whether it still exists.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 04:13:24 AM »
This was held by Tim Connoly. I don't recall it being done since 2005 and maybe earlier than that.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Loogaroo

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 07:17:06 AM »
*reluctantly raises his hand*

Yeah, that was me. (And it's two L's in Connolly, thanks.)

The last tournament I did was in 2004 (at least, that's the last tournament I have data for), and I stopped doing the Game Show Tournament for a couple of reasons. For one thing, the line between game and reality shows was blurring to the point where you'd have something like Amazing Race and Hollywood Squares in a match against each other, and voters end up having to compare apples and oranges - moreso than usual. It also didn't help that two shows - TPIR in the early years, and Pyramid later on - dominated the brackets to the point that I actually had to sit Pyramid out the last year because it'd won the last three tournaments.

But mostly, the tournament had a knack for stirring up a lot of flamewars. Not because of the outcomes, but because of the tournament itself. I got a lot of complaints about how votes were counted, the supposed "begging" for more judges, and the length of time it took to conduct the thing - I remember one person comment that "Marlon Brando's bowel movements go faster", or something to that effect.

Granted, it's never totally out of the question to have me run another one of these things. If enough people were interested (and it'd have to be at least 15 or so to really make it worthwhile for everyone involved), then I wouldn't mind doing it again. Of course, given what I just mentioned, I have to wonder if everyone else who wasn't interested would want to deal with it again, too.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 11:16:31 AM »
My question: do we even want to give "Hole in the Wall" or "Identity" the chance to score an upset over "Sale of the Century" or "Now You See It"?
@lambertman

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:06:20 PM »
One way you could do it is break the shows into the decades they aired, so you could have TPIR compete in six different tourneys, but as they were at the time.  Of course, that could turn in to a Loogistical nightmare. :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

rjaguar3

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 01:31:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'197090\' date=\'Sep 12 2008, 10:06 PM\']
One way you could do it is break the shows into the decades they aired, so you could have TPIR compete in six different tourneys, but as they were at the time.  Of course, that could turn in to a Loogistical nightmare. :)
[/quote]

You know, I once thought about a 64-show tournament, with just one show from each year (going by premiere date) since 1950 (plus wild cards to fill in the field).  I think such an idea could work if executed well.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 05:46:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'197090\' date=\'Sep 12 2008, 08:06 PM\']
Of course, that could turn in to a Loogistical nightmare. :)
[/quote]
I smirk'd. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Loogaroo

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 06:58:13 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'197101\' date=\'Sep 13 2008, 04:46 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'197090\' date=\'Sep 12 2008, 08:06 PM\']
Of course, that could turn in to a Loogistical nightmare. :)
[/quote]
I smirk'd. :)
[/quote]
Hey, any pun that doesn't involve expectoration is a winner in my book.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

gromit82

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 06:41:32 PM »
Thanks for the information (and particularly to Modor for recognizing what I was talking about and to Loogaroo for being the organizer of the tournaments). At least I know I haven't been left out from participating in recent years.