Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another TPIR Change  (Read 32668 times)

ClockGameJohn

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 07:08:39 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyGuy28\' post=\'197408\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 01:56 AM\']
Add me to the list of not really getting why this is any sort of big deal.  Even though contestant sees a green screen instead of a collage skin, contestant still hears the destination, how long the trip is, etc, and only reacts to that, not what is seen on the skin/green screen.  A green screen in place of a skin does not change a reaction that's more auditory than anything.

So the audience won't see a collage related to the destination anymore.  Boo-frickin'-hoo.  They'll listen to Rich same as the contestant.  The home audience's experience with the trip prize announcement will not change at all.
[/quote]

You've:

A.  Never been to the studio.
B.  Never been a contestant.
C.  All of the above.

I guess I can't explain it without making it complicated, but I will say that there are many, many, many times where it is completely impossible to hear any sort of prize description while in the studio.  Additionally, one of the issues is that they are prematurely revealing the prize due to some issues with the green screen.  This causes some problems with genuine contestant reactions; green screen or trip skin.

WhammyGuy28

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2008, 12:05:15 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'197427\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 03:08 AM\']
You've:

A.  Never been to the studio.
B.  Never been a contestant.
C.  All of the above.

I guess I can't explain it without making it complicated, but I will say that there are many, many, many times where it is completely impossible to hear any sort of prize description while in the studio.[/quote]

The correct response is D) Been to the studio plenty of times.

Prize copies yes, product descriptions/plugs yes, but the intial prize reveal line?  The contestant is able to hear that at least.  And with trips, someone's usually encouraging the audience to get louder since it's not one of the bigger prizes.  Even with big prizes, sometimes contestants can't hear what kind of car it is, but do know it's a car first because they could hear Rich saying "IT'S A NEW CAr!" as the door opens, before the studio audience goes nuts in response to hearing/seeing the same thing.  

If you really want to get into the anatomy of a reaction, we can, but my larger point was that even without the visual artwork, hearing the same reveal line plus a green screen instead of a skin will at worst merely create the kind of "Huh, I've always seen artwork at this point.  Guess this is how they really do it in the studio." reaction that ^^ shared with the class, and otherwise change nothing.

[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\']Additionally, one of the issues is that they are prematurely revealing the prize due to some issues with the green screen.  This causes some problems with genuine contestant reactions; green screen or trip skin.
[/quote]

With this, the issue of skin vs. green screen is irrelevant, which is why I did not initially touch on it since it's not what's being discussed.  Premature prize reveals for any reason is a bit lame, but no production is ever perfect, nor does the occassional hiccup ruin any show just because of that reason.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:15:10 PM by WhammyGuy28 »
"What kind of man would live in a world where there is no daring? I don't believe in taking foolish chances, but nothing can be accomplished without taking any chance at all."

-- Charles Augustus Lindberg

Steve Gavazzi

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2008, 01:17:22 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyGuy28\' post=\'197436\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 12:05 PM\'][quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'197427\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 03:08 AM\']I guess I can't explain it without making it complicated, but I will say that there are many, many, many times where it is completely impossible to hear any sort of prize description while in the studio.[/quote]Even with big prizes, sometimes contestants can't hear what kind of car it is, but do know it's a car first because they could hear Rich saying "IT'S A NEW CAr!" as the door opens, before the studio audience goes nuts in response to hearing/seeing the same thing.[/quote]
Not at all the point.  From the standpoint of the home viewer, it's more exciting to see the doors open on a car than it is to just cut to a car.

[quote name=\'WhammyGuy28\' post=\'197436\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 12:05 PM\']If you really want to get into the anatomy of a reaction, we can, but my larger point was that even without the visual artwork, hearing the same reveal line plus a green screen instead of a skin will at worst merely create the kind of "Huh, I've always seen artwork at this point.  Guess this is how they really do it in the studio." reaction that ^^ shared with the class, and otherwise change nothing.[/quote]
Yeah, as a matter of fact, I would like to get into that.  What the contestant is used to seeing on TV -- if he even remembers the trip skins -- is irrelvent.  What matters -- and what I think you're trying to dance around -- is that he is indeed now being asked to get excited over a green wall, which he will be looking at before they even announce what the prize is and will be wondering why it's there.  That's going to lead to less excited reactions, which in turn is going to lead to less excited home audiences -- because if the contestant isn't excited, why should the viewers be?

[quote name=\'WhammyGuy28\' post=\'197436\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 12:05 PM\'][quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'197427\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 03:08 AM\']Additionally, one of the issues is that they are prematurely revealing the prize due to some issues with the green screen.  This causes some problems with genuine contestant reactions; green screen or trip skin.[/quote]With this, the issue of skin vs. green screen is irrelevant, which is why I did not initially touch on it since it's not what's being discussed.  Premature prize reveals for any reason is a bit lame...[/quote]
It's not irrelevant at all.  The green screen is the entire reason for the premature reveals.  If they go back to the actual trip skins, then they don't have to do it that way.

It's really depressing to see how little some of the people on this site understand the intricacies of this show.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 01:17:58 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2008, 01:36:02 PM »
Unbelievable.

Now we can't say anything positive about any changes TPIR makes because Steve and John won't have it.

Real nice.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2008, 01:38:56 PM »
Why does this thread still exist? It degenerated into a pissing match about 5 pages ago.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2008, 01:43:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197438\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 01:17 PM\']It's really depressing to see how little some of the people on this site understand the intricacies of this show.[/quote]
There are more important things that people don't understand the intricacies of.  Save your depression for those.
This signature is currently under construction.

J.R.

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »
Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show, I should really just relax".

/Not a snark, but sage advice.
-Joe Raygor

chad1m

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2008, 02:06:24 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'197446\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 01:44 PM\']Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show, I should really just relax".

/Not a snark, but sage advice.[/quote]Exactly. Please allow me to repeat what I said on page one:

Not to get on my high horse or soapbox, but let me just take a moment to remind everyone freaking out that this is simply a television game show. It is not as if we're changing the appearance of the American flag. A simple update in television production that, quite frankly, could have been added fifteen-twenty years ago and has no really horrible impact upon the show is all that is being added.

Just think about that before you go nuts on someone else or go nuts with your "end of the world" mantra. Well, too late for that. =P

CarShark

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2008, 02:10:45 PM »
As caffeinated as the contestants are, I'd be surprised if they don't pre-asplode before the doors open or Rich says a word. I'm a little disappointed that the "video wall" turned out to be a green screen, though. At least if it was a video wall, they could have projected something for the contestant to see. I'm still not as worried about the contestant reaction as Gavazzi is.

I just saw part of a 1989 episode on YouTube. The Washington D.C. graphic is the same after all these years. Odd. How much time and effort does it take to make a trip graphic from scratch?

Steve Gavazzi

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2008, 02:15:10 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'197441\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 01:36 PM\']Now we can't say anything positive about any changes TPIR makes because Steve and John won't have it.[/quote]
Provide a positive reaction that makes sense, and I won't criticize it.

And there have been statements made in some of these threads that I thought were valid rebuttals that I didn't try to refute because I really couldn't.  (This is not to say I liked all of them -- but they made sense.)  You only have a problem with me because none of those statements came from you.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:17:10 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »
I've stayed largely on the sidelines.  I will enter this thread by saying the following things:

[list=1]
  • Yes, the change they're making is a problem.
  • No, the change isn't as big as some think they are.
  • John and Steve aren't the "some" in question.  They have tried to point out why they think it's a production mistake (which I agree with), but they haven't been doing the "Sky is Falling" routine (which it's not).
  • But because they represent the contingent active on both G-R (which admittedly has way too many fanbois) and this forum, they're catching more flack than they deserve.
  • There are doubtless some people on both sides of this argument that deserve plenty of flack.  Go give them grief instead.
  • People are going to naturally be more attached to a show that's been around since before they were born.  It's ok, and not as unhealthy if not taken to excess.  If Don LaFontaine (RIP) suddently started doing voiceovers for "60 Minutes", I'd think something was rotten in Denmark, too.
  • People who believe that something is wrong are going to be passionate about it.  Again, it's not unhealthy if not taken to excess.
  • OTOH, giving these people a hard time because they're easy targets is unhealthy and displays an acute lack of maturity.
  • Agree to disagree, or defend your points with some sense of class -- from a non-admin's perspective, this crap has really gotten out of hand.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2008, 02:17:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197438\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 10:17 AM\']
It's really depressing to see how little some of the people on this site understand the intricacies of this show.[/quote]
It's comments like this that completely invalidate the point of even *trying* to have an intelligent discussion about this.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2008, 02:34:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197451\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 01:15 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'197441\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 01:36 PM\']Now we can't say anything positive about any changes TPIR makes because Steve and John won't have it.[/quote]
Provide a positive reaction that makes sense, and I won't criticize it.
[/quote]

'There's been plenty. Don't even.

And I have a problem with you because by your refusal to even LISTEN to dissenting opinions, you're acting like a complete and utter condescending jerk, and that's not right.

1. Yes, the change they're making is a problem.

No, it isn't.

No, the change isn't as big as some think they are.

Correct.

John and Steve aren't the "some" in question. They have tried to point out why they think it's a production mistake (which I agree with), but they haven't been doing the "Sky is Falling" routine (which it's not).
a) Well, then who are the "some"?
b) If it isn't "The Sky is Falling", then what the hell is it? They BOTH have taken this debate to ridiculous levels just to satisfy their demanding whims, and that just isn't right.

But because they represent the contingent active on both G-R (which admittedly has way too many fanbois) and this forum, they're catching more flack than they deserve.

I think you'll find that their actions on G-R doesn't have as much to do with their being criticized as their inability to accept other people's opinions. But never let facts get in the way, right?

There are doubtless some people on both sides of this argument that deserve plenty of flack. Go give them grief instead.

The only people who deserve grief here are getting it. Next.

People who believe that something is wrong are going to be passionate about it. Again, it's not unhealthy if not taken to excess.

Yeah, well, Steve and John have taken it way past excess.

OTOH, giving these people a hard time because they're easy targets is unhealthy and displays an acute lack of maturity.

Congratulations on not getting it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2008, 02:37:32 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'197441\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 10:36 AM\']
Unbelievable.

Now we can't say anything positive about any changes TPIR makes because Steve and John won't have it.

Real nice.
[/quote]
On this board you can say any dang thing you want within the letter of the Eligibility Requirements.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'197455\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 11:34 AM\']
OTOH, giving these people a hard time because they're easy targets is unhealthy and displays an acute lack of maturity.

Congratulations on not getting it.[/quote]
Ummmm...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe