Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR On-Stage Trip Graphics  (Read 4693 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR On-Stage Trip Graphics
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:48:30 PM »
It's poll time again. You have only two options. If you don't have an opinion, don't vote.

tpirfan28

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »
It really needs a third option, and one that almost happened:  the video wall.  I think the video wall would have solved a bunch of problems (nothing displayed in-studio, green-on-green reveal issue, etc.)

Of those two, jury's out until I see how everything works.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 02:57:55 PM »
How about the option of "I don't care - I don't watch the show to nitpick the minute visual elements and it ends up looking the same on my TV anyway?"
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:58:53 PM by chad1m »

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 03:04:58 PM »
Well, it *should* be the painted trip skins, if you ask me, but I'm not going to get too upset if they use trip skins, green screens, or a stagehand holding up a ragged cardboard sign saying "SCOTTSDALE ARIZONA", for that matter.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 03:05:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'197470\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 11:57 AM\']
It really needs a third option, and one that almost happened:  the video wall.  I think the video wall would have solved a bunch of problems (nothing displayed in-studio, green-on-green reveal issue, etc.)[/quote]
They haven't started using the video wall yet AFAIK, so I'm confining it to the two options they have used.

How about the option of "I don't care - I don't watch the show to nitpick the minute visual elements and it ends up looking the same on my TV anyway?"
Regardless of whether you care or not, they have to display them one way or t' other.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 03:08:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'197476\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 12:04 PM\']
Well, it *should* be the painted trip skins, if you ask me, but I'm not going to get too upset if they use trip skins, green screens, or a stagehand holding up a ragged cardboard sign saying "SCOTTSDALE ARIZONA", for that matter.
[/quote]
Interesting idea for a showcase.

I'm for the hard artwork, so long as they don't make Paris look like Hollywood did in the bee-yoo-tee-full Hollywood mural.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'197477\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 02:05 PM\']
Regardless of whether you care or not, they have to display them one way or t' other.
[/quote]

Well, yeah...but if someone doesn't care how it's done, they should be able to say so.

(FTR, I voted chroma-key...it's just time.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'197487\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 12:27 PM\']
Well, yeah...but if someone doesn't care how it's done, they should be able to say so.[/quote]
That would be the "then don't vote" part of the equation. If response to the poll is poor overall, then you probably know a lot of people don't care.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »
Skins. If not that, then they should've kept the video wall that they were rumored to be using.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 04:07:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'197489\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 03:34 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'197487\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 12:27 PM\']
Well, yeah...but if someone doesn't care how it's done, they should be able to say so.[/quote]
That would be the "then don't vote" part of the equation. If response to the poll is poor overall, then you probably know a lot of people don't care.[/quote]
Exactly.  If it's anything like the last one (and I can't imagine that it wouldn't be), then the vast, vast majority of us game show fans just aren't going to see it as any big deal.  For the record, that's where I am on this one, despite CGJ's perfectly valid list of reasons why it creates a problem in the studio.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 04:16:14 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'197477\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 03:05 PM\']They haven't started using the video wall yet AFAIK, so I'm confining it to the two options they have used.[/quote]
I could be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that it's not so much "haven't started yet" as "couldn't afford to keep it."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 04:43:11 PM »
When giving away trips they have to show something. You can't open the doors to reveal the stagehands pushing the Buick Skylark into place for the next game. The producers have to pick one or the other.

NickS

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 10:43:42 PM »
I voted for pics/artwork, if only for the fact that it's a lot less easy to screw up than keying the wrong source.

Hastin

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'197496\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 01:07 PM\']
For the record, that's where I am on this one, despite CGJ's perfectly valid list of reasons why it creates a problem in the studio.
[/quote]

Agreed. Steve and CGJ have some perfect points on why this sucks from a contestant reveal and studio factor. However, if it appears the same on the TV side of the screen, then I believe that it's not a big issue. There's lots of shows with things that suck horrible (2 hour stopdowns for DoND, Some horrible recuts of Pat's spin in WoF), however they don't affect the outcome or look of the final show. They're filming a TV show, not putting on a stage show.
-Hastin :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 11:24:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'197599\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 08:21 AM\']
They're filming a TV show, not putting on a stage show.[/quote]
They are, but I do agree with the point that the atmosphere inside of the studio has a lot to do with how the show that eventually airs on TV looks. I'm just not willing to proclaim it Worst. Change. EVAR until I see hard proof that that atmosphere is affected. So far all I have seen are hypotheses.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe