Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Opportunity Knocks"...few answer..  (Read 6446 times)

weaklink75

"Opportunity Knocks"...few answer..
« on: September 24, 2008, 12:27:17 PM »
The ratings were really bad...; it tied for 4th in the 18-49 demo with 90210, for goodness sake! This could be the first new show of the fall to get the hook most likely..
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 12:27:59 PM by weaklink75 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 12:30:20 PM »
Opportunity Knocks is inane, but Dancing With the Stars isn't?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 12:48:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'198063\' date=\'Sep 24 2008, 12:30 PM\']
Opportunity Knocks is inane, but Dancing With the Stars isn't?[/quote]
Fundamental rule of thumb that virtually nobody ever gets:  No matter how you dress it up, people answering factual questions about their own lives just isn't interesting to anyone outside their own family.  If you want people to be interested in a Q&A game, the audience has to be able to play along.

I'm sure JD gave a heck of a pitch, and it's certainly a high-concept idea. ("We take the game show to THEM!")  It's just not a GOOD high-concept idea.  As a group, we've been more interested in GUTS than this.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:14:41 PM »
It was a cute show, but not a lot of play-along, from the parts I noticed. Yeah, the mom should be able to identify her son's 4th grade picture, but what's in it for us? Ditto for the cheerleading moves question. It's blind guessing for the family members AND the audience.

Would make a great Saturday morning show, but for primetime? Pass.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 01:15:02 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:38:20 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'198068\' date=\'Sep 24 2008, 10:14 AM\']
It was a cute show, but not a lot of play-along, from the parts I noticed. Yeah, the mom should be able to identify her son's 4th grade picture, but what's in it for us? Ditto for the cheerleading moves question. It's blind guessing for the family members AND the audience. [/quote]
Honestly, I didn't mind it. It was cute, and I thought it was far more engaging than Amnesia was, because you actually got to know the family a little bit, instead of random crap being asked of a single essentially faceless person.

I agree with Brandon in that some of the questions were a crapshoot, but it really didn't bother me much, other'n asking the kid to guess what his sister's favorite shoes were. That was a little silly.

And, Mark, I don't get the appeal of Dancing With The Stars either, aside from the television genius of Tom Bergeron and the fact that I would hit Carrie Ann Inaba so hard that Bruno Tonioli would give me an 11.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 01:43:14 PM »
I get to be a complete yutz and say "when did this air, because I completely spaced it."

I'm assuming 8PM Eastern on Tuesday...when I was watching House?

and the fact that I would hit Carrie Ann Inaba so hard that Bruno Tonioli would give me an 11.
That was so elegant!
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 01:50:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'198075\' date=\'Sep 24 2008, 10:43 AM\']
I'm assuming 8PM Eastern on Tuesday...when I was watching House?[/quote]
Yes, because I was in the middle of TPiR on the Tivo when I was alerted to it.
That was so elegant!
We aim to please.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 05:54:14 PM »
Fundamental rule of thumb that virtually nobody ever gets: No matter how you dress it up, people answering factual questions about their own lives just isn't interesting to anyone outside their own family. If you want people to be interested in a Q&A game, the audience has to be able to play along.

Agreed.  It was OK, better than Amnesia, but I doubt it will be around long.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:43:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'198065\' date=\'Sep 24 2008, 09:48 AM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'198063\' date=\'Sep 24 2008, 12:30 PM\']Opportunity Knocks is inane, but Dancing With the Stars isn't?[/quote]
Fundamental rule of thumb that virtually nobody ever gets:  No matter how you dress it up, people answering factual questions about their own lives just isn't interesting to anyone outside their own family. [/quote]If that was the case, The Newlywed Game would have been 13-and-out, and Mark L. Walberg would be hosting Trivial Pursuit.

I thought it was OK. Even if you can't play along with the game, you can still watch to see how much money will be won, whether dad will buy the car instead of trying to win it, and if the family will go for the entire $250,000 instead of just doubling up.

The things I didn't like
1) the art question where Mom had to shred the not-her-son's art piece
2) the non-tempting "double or stay" or "Risk it All!" final
and
3) the fact that Dad got to play for the awesome car and his daughter for the concert experience, while son and mom played for prizes for the entire family.
Travis L. Eberle

MTCesquire

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 11:58:51 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'198121\' date=\'Sep 24 2008, 11:43 PM\']
If that was the case, The Newlywed Game would have been 13-and-out, and Mark L. Walberg would be hosting Trivial Pursuit.
[/quote]

I disagree.  There's a difference between watching a family having lighthearted fun for an hour and watching marriages being torn apart right before your eyes.  It's all about the controversy.

That said, I completely forgot about this show and really had no intention of watching it.  It sounds decent enough from the reviews here and perhaps I'll set my DVR for next week's show to give it a look, but overall, I wasn't expecting the show to be much and it looks like I was right.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 12:17:02 AM »
[quote name=\'MTCesquire\' post=\'198123\' date=\'Sep 24 2008, 08:58 PM\']That said, I completely forgot about this show and really had no intention of watching it.  It sounds decent enough from the reviews here and perhaps I'll set my DVR for next week's show to give it a look, but overall, I wasn't expecting the show to be much and it looks like I was right.[/quote]If you've already doomed the show to Epic Fail status, what's the point? You should at least give it one go, then bring down the hammer.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 12:30:51 AM »
It's not all that bad, and actually more interesting compared to some of the other "let's see what you know about your family" games. Like Chris already said, it's nice to get to know the family a little bit better than other shows of it's kind. And I admit, it is kinda nice to see a show actually promote the concept of a family, rather than tearing it apart, like The Moment of Truth.

Appointment TV? Not really. But if I'm flipping through, I'll probably stay for a few minutes.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 04:10:12 AM »
Ugh!  I was forced to watch this show because my team was losing(figures it would be against those stinkin' Braves).  Anyways, Oppurtunity Knocks was a bit better than Amne$ia ever was.  The set looked kinda cool.  JD Roth was decent enough as host.  The idea of keeping families together is really the exception in today's society where tearing it apart is the new "normal".  Honestly, we seem to be hopeless in finding shows with good tastes.  No play-along value whatsoever, but the twist in the buyout offers sorta offsets that.  Basically what we have here is Amne$ia^2.  I'll give this one an average 6.0.  If nothing else is on, I'll probably tune in.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 04:10:55 AM by Craig Karlberg »

MTCesquire

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 10:56:05 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'198124\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 12:17 AM\']
If you've already doomed the show to Epic Fail status, what's the point? You should at least give it one go, then bring down the hammer.
[/quote]

Epic Fail status?  Not quite.  Neither the greatest thing ever nor the worst piece of crap ever status?  That's more like it.  Like I said, I'll set up my DVR to catch it next week to see what it's like.

rigsby

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 06:33:03 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'198075\' date=\'Sep 24 2008, 12:43 PM\']That was so elegant![/quote]
How elegant was it?