Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: need help  (Read 2610 times)

gamenut

need help
« on: September 27, 2008, 08:52:38 PM »
hey everyone i have a little problem

i tried to download the luck of the draw home game on www.loogslair.net but it came up with a page cannot be displayed message

does anybody have a solution

or does anybody have the game that is willing to post it somewhere so i can download it

help is greatly appreciated

thank you

curtking

need help
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 10:30:16 PM »
[quote name=\'gamenut\' post=\'198352\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 07:52 PM\']
i tried to download the luck of the draw home game on www.loogslair.net but it came up with a page cannot be displayed message
[/quote]
It appears that the download link points to the wrong URL.

Try this one:

http://www.loogslair.net/gameshow/lotd.zip

Curt

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
need help
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 03:52:34 AM »
[quote name=\'gamenut\' post=\'198352\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 05:52 PM\']hey everyone i have a little problem[/quote] I'd say it's a big problem. But I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on a highly rated medical drama.

does anybody have a solution
Yes. Yes I do. E-mail the webmaster your own self, ask him what's going on, instead of taking your problem to an unrelated message board.

or does anybody have the game that is willing to post it somewhere so i can download it
Golly, I hope not. That last part seems really scuzzy.

What is up with people publicly posting their site-specific problems to these boards? Did someone leak radiation into the water?
Travis L. Eberle

MikeK

• Martha!
need help
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'198370\' date=\'Sep 28 2008, 03:52 AM\']What is up with people publicly posting their site-specific problems to these boards? Did someone leak radiation into the water?[/quote]
No.  Not everybody is as perfect as you.  Maybe they just don't know.

Condescend much?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
need help
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 03:48:26 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'198387\' date=\'Sep 28 2008, 08:52 AM\']
No.  Not everybody is as perfect as you.  Maybe they just don't know.[/quote]
I'm just curious, and I ask this sincerely and with all due respect: are you suggesting that the OP just assumes that all of this stuff is contained under one umbrella of "Teh Intarwebs" and therefore anyone on any page should know what's going on with another one?

I just wanna know what the thought process is behind "maybe they just don't know." I'm just, honestly, not seeing it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

need help
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 03:52:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'198395\' date=\'Sep 28 2008, 12:48 PM\']
I'm just curious, and I ask this sincerely and with all due respect: are you suggesting that the OP just assumes that all of this stuff is contained under one umbrella of "Teh Intarwebs" and therefore anyone on any page should know what's going on with another one?
[/quote]
Honestly, I think that's a bit of a jump. He is asking about a game show website on a game show forum (in fact, "The Game Show Forum.") Maybe he even knew that Tim posted here. Sure, it's still not optimal, but I don't think it's quite as ludicrous as you make it out to be.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
need help
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 04:18:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'198396\' date=\'Sep 28 2008, 12:52 PM\']
Honestly, I think that's a bit of a jump. He is asking about a game show website on a game show forum (in fact, "The Game Show Forum.") Maybe he even knew that Tim posted here. Sure, it's still not optimal, but I don't think it's quite as ludicrous as you make it out to be.[/quote]
That's a reasonable point. That said, if he could get *to* the site, then ostensibly he could have asked someone *at* the site. (Admittedly Tim doesn't make that easy.)

So I agree. Not ludicrous, but I was interested in Mike's thought process considering he usually keeps the vitrol to a minimum.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
need help
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 04:39:55 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'198387\' date=\'Sep 28 2008, 08:52 AM\']No.  Not everybody is as perfect as you.  Maybe they just don't know.[/quote] Wow. This comes out of nowhere.

I don't expect perfection. I expect that people use common sense. As in, if you can get to the website, you should be able to find out who runs the website (and if you click on "Message Board," you can do just that.)

If he didn't remember the name of the website, and couldn't come up with a satisfactory Google string, then I suppose bringing the question here is fine as a last resort. But even then, give the thread a name other than "need help," and tick off all of the different ways that you tried.

The original poster was 9/10ths of the way to solving his problem without involving the Game Show Forum at all. I don't see why he needed to bring the question here.

I think that we should be raising the bar in expecting people to figure out what they need on their own, and knowing what to ask when they don't, as opposed to making this the first stop that people come to when they have a random question. I don't think that has one thing to do with perfection.

Condescend much?
I didn't think it was condescending at all. If I was going for that, I would have laid it on thick, eg "I'll make sure to type this real slow, so you can understand it," and then go to painstaking lengths to enumerate the steps that could be taken to achieve a reasonable result.

I was merely being snarky. I was just trying to fit in, is all.
Travis L. Eberle

MikeK

• Martha!
need help
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'198395\' date=\'Sep 28 2008, 03:48 PM\']I just wanna know what the thought process is behind "maybe they just don't know." I'm just, honestly, not seeing it.[/quote]
The OP has 12 posts.  Has that person seen other threads where people say X's web site is down?  (Just because he's been a member of this site for 2 1/2 years doesn't mean he has.)  I'm not trying to make excuses for the OP.  Saying that there's something in the water when a relative newbie asks an innocent question is just a little harsh, especially after Curt answered the OP's question almost 5 1/2 hours before Travis' post.

Not everybody has been online as long as us, Chris.  Give him the benefit of the doubt.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:34:43 PM by MikeK »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
need help
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 06:36:51 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'198404\' date=\'Sep 28 2008, 03:27 PM\']Saying that there's something in the water when a relative newbie asks an innocent question is just a little harsh, [/quote]And that wasn't even directed at the original poster, it was a general comment about how we seem to be getting the "can someone help me find something on a different website?" threads with disturbing frequency. Nothing more.
Travis L. Eberle

Loogaroo

need help
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 06:45:21 PM »
The link's been fixed.

However, I agree with the sentiment that these things should be directed to the webmaster as opposed to a communal message board. If I hadn't looked at this thread, I wouldn't have known the link was broken, and I wouldn't have fixed it - and I don't check every thread here.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".