Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration's Norm Blumenthal LIVE !  (Read 3683 times)

TimK2003

Concentration's Norm Blumenthal LIVE !
« on: September 23, 2008, 09:46:28 AM »
FYI,

Norm Blumenthal, the brains behind NBC's Concentration (celebrating the golden anniversary) will be on hand taking your calls for a live 2-hour interview on Stu's Show, Wednesday 9/24 from 7-9ET/4-6PT.

Shokusradio.com is the place.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:47:09 AM by TimK2003 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:06:58 PM »
Just a reminder that this is happening in the next few minutes, and for the next couple of hours.

Blumenthal may not have made a big impression as the friendliest game show producer we've ever come across at the Game Show Congress events, but I'm sure he'll have some stories to tell about one of the greatest game shows of all time, and one that was his baby for most of its incredible run.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Winkfan

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 12:59:41 AM »
You're not gonna believe this, but I happened to listen to the show today. I then dared myself to call him; and after a few busy signals, managed to get through. I asked Norm a question about what it was like to work with Bob Clayton. He said that Bob felt he was "second fiddle to Hugh" while working on the show.

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:06:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'198127\' date=\'Sep 24 2008, 11:59 PM\']
You're not gonna believe this, but I happened to listen to the show today. I then dared myself to call him; and after a few busy signals, managed to get through. I asked Norm a question about what it was like to work with Bob Clayton. He said that Bob felt he was "second fiddle to Hugh" while working on the show.
[/quote]

That was you??? Wow. It was certainly interesting to hear what he thought of Bob. I also noticed that Michi-Matt made it on.

Certainly a good show. I might have to listen again at some point.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 11:16:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'198136\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 10:06 AM\']That was you??? Wow. It was certainly interesting to hear what he thought of Bob. I also noticed that Michi-Matt made it on. [/quote]
When he was at the Game Show Congress, I tried to ask him about the board games and, as with a lot of his stories, he quickly distracted himself into a different path.  This time, he apparently was a lot more forthcoming, but I couldn't hear his answer in the phone and the delay in trying to listen on the computer was too distracting.  Now I'll have to catch a replay to hear what he actually said.

Still, a solid two hours, one of Stu's better shows.

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »
Did he tell his tale about kicking Lin Bolen out of the control room?
Also, are Stu's shows archived anyplace or must we be tuned to his interchannel while the program is broadcasting?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:13:29 PM by Don Howard »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 04:05:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'198165\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 12:13 PM\']
Also, are Stu's shows archived anyplace or must we be tuned to his interchannel while the program is broadcasting?[/quote]
No. I asked him about archiving, and he told me that his music-use agreements forbid him from archiving anything, they only allow for live streaming. So no can do.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 04:53:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'198165\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 02:13 PM\']
Did he tell his tale about kicking Lin Bolen out of the control room?
[/quote]

He did.

I honestly didn't know she killed "Concentration" as well----I thought it was '74 or '75 that she took over NBC daytime.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 04:54:52 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 06:50:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'198168\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 04:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'198165\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 12:13 PM\']
Also, are Stu's shows archived anyplace or must we be tuned to his interchannel while the program is broadcasting?[/quote]
No. I asked him about archiving, and he told me that his music-use agreements forbid him from archiving anything, they only allow for live streaming. So no can do.[/quote]
He has made episodes available for purchase for only five bucks.  Though his store only goes up to August, 2007, you could probably contact him directly for a more recent show.  The address for ordering is orders@shokusradio.com
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:54:12 PM by Matt Ottinger »

alfonzos

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 07:15:05 PM »
Caught the show. Best nerdgasm I've had all year.

Biggest surprise: his compliments to Lin Bolen.

Biggest disappointment: I wanted to hear more about the development of the Milton Bradley home game.

Best fun fact: tie between the recycling of the set between editions of the program and technicians had to dress completely in black so they wouldn't be seen working behind the gameboard.

Also of note: his disgust with Classic Concentration rebuses. He said he didn't like the use of an ear of corn for "ear." I disagree; I think that is clever. What I didn't like about the puzzles was the entire drawing of a thing when only a part of that thing is needed to solve the rebus. Example: the drawing of an human body when only "eye" is needed for the solution.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 07:30:17 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'198201\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 07:15 PM\']
Biggest disappointment: I wanted to hear more about the development of the Milton Bradley home game.
[/quote]
I tried my best!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 07:46:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'198197\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 03:50 PM\']
He has made episodes available for purchase for only five bucks.[/quote]
A bargain at twice the price, I'm sure.

That's really interesting considering what he told me about music clearances.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 08:20:45 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'198201\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 07:15 PM\']Also of note: his disgust with Classic Concentration rebuses. He said he didn't like the use of an ear of corn for "ear." I disagree; I think that is clever.[/quote]
I agree with you, I thought that was a horrible example as he was telling it.  No matter what he says, part of the challenge of solving a rebus is the possibility that you DON'T immediately understand what the symbol is supposed to be.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:37:57 PM by Matt Ottinger »

davemackey

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 07:37:31 AM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'198201\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 07:15 PM\']
Also of note: his disgust with Classic Concentration rebuses. He said he didn't like the use of an ear of corn for "ear." I disagree; I think that is clever. What I didn't like about the puzzles was the entire drawing of a thing when only a part of that thing is needed to solve the rebus. Example: the drawing of an human body when only "eye" is needed for the solution.
[/quote]
Actually, I disagree. Steve Ryan understands moreso than Norm Blumenthal that sometimes, deception is one of the greatest tools in a puzzlemaker's kit. He'd have Bernie Schmittke draw a face that took up maybe six gameboard squares and conceal the arrows indicating "nose" under only one.

Since Norm wasn't involved, I wonder then who made up the puzzles for the '73 show. Howard Felsher? Buck D'Amore? Mark Dawson?