Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If You Could Get Rid Of One Reality Show...  (Read 4880 times)

Jeremy Nelson

If You Could Get Rid Of One Reality Show...
« on: September 25, 2008, 12:47:54 AM »
I only bring this up because yesterday, I noticed that I haven't watched Dancing With the Stars for the past 3 seasons, and don't care at all. This is a show, that at one time was appointment TV in my family. I'd get rid of it because you can only see so many B list actors/retired athletes/Disney Channel stars/ringers before they all start to run together. Seriously, it's like when they kept recycling the same six or seven boss powers for every Megaman game.

I love Bergeron, but I can't stand the rest. I don't even care to watch to see Kim Kardashian's assets jiggle at this point.

What reality show, in your opinion, needs to go now?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

davewalls

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 03:39:45 AM »
I'd say "Big Brother", but honestly, I haven't tried watching that show in years. I'm always amazed when they wind up ChenBot for another season.

Eliminate "The Bachelor(ette)". The ground, it has been run into. If you have to watch it (thanks, sweetie!), play a simple drinking game:
every time the word "connection" is uttered, drink. You'll pass out before the first solo date.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:40:47 AM by davewalls »
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 03:49:32 AM »
For me, definitely Survivor.  The first season was a novel idea.  And since there was a local player on that show, it made it more special.  I couldn't force myself to watch the series again after Season 2.  By the time they went All-Star, I lost all interest in it.  This makes me wonder if they'll rum out of exotic locales to shoot at before its "final" season whenever that comes around.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:50:30 AM by Craig Karlberg »

Loogaroo

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 07:38:26 AM »
I'd agree with The Bachelor, for the sole reason that I think one couple out of the 20 or so incarnations of that show (in both genders) actually got married and stayed married. Going through all that pomp and circumstance when the "winner" is going to get dumped the following week anyway is just a big waste of time.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 10:25:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'198130\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 02:49 AM\']
For me, definitely Survivor.  The first season was a novel idea.  And since there was a local player on that show, it made it more special.  I couldn't force myself to watch the series again after Season 2.  By the time they went All-Star, I lost all interest in it.  This makes me wonder if they'll rum out of exotic locales to shoot at before its "final" season whenever that comes around.
[/quote]
I'd say Big Brother for pretty much the same reasoning.  The first season was actually fairly interesting, with actual people in the house and not just 'random hot caricatures thrown together in the hopes that they'll all make out with each other (preferably simultaneously)'.  Plus, one of the more interesting people in the house was from around here, so the local CBS affiliate was really making a big deal about the show.

BillCullen1

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 01:04:55 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'198126\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 12:47 AM\']
[/quote]

We can only pick ONE?? Darn. It's a toss-up, but I'll say Chenbot's Big Brother. I like The Amazing Race and Last Comic Standing, but the others just don't do it for me. Frankly, I'm waiting for Survivor - The South Bronx. Now that's a show I would tune in the finale for.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:05:21 PM by BillCullen1 »

CarbonCpy

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 04:41:16 PM »
[quote name=\'davewalls\' post=\'198129\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 03:39 AM\']
Eliminate "The Bachelor(ette)". The ground, it has been run into. If you have to watch it (thanks, sweetie!), play a simple drinking game:
every time the word "connection" is uttered, drink. You'll pass out before the first solo date.
[/quote]

Or if you're like me and prone to losing the remote, here's a variation:

1) When the show comes on, start drinking.  If you're not plastered by the first commercial break, you're doing it wrong.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 05:15:33 PM »

Survivor.  It should have gone about 13 seasons ago.

There are a number I'd like to get rid of, like The Bachelor or Big Brother, but if I could only choose one, I'd choose Survivor.  I just can't understand the continued appeal of that show.

On the other hand, I think Amazing Race is very deserving of its Best Reality Show Emmy.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

davemackey

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 05:31:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'198177\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 05:15 PM\']

Survivor.  It should have gone about 13 seasons ago.

There are a number I'd like to get rid of, like The Bachelor or Big Brother, but if I could only choose one, I'd choose Survivor.  I just can't understand the continued appeal of that show.

On the other hand, I think Amazing Race is very deserving of its Best Reality Show Emmy.
[/quote]
I really don't want to see "The Bachelor" go, because Lacey Pemberton needs to eat.

The one I don't get is all those reality shows on MTV/VH1 like "The Hills" and "I Love New York" and "Flavor Of Love" and "I Love Money". What's the point?

chad1m

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 05:32:45 PM »
Hurl! No explanation necessary.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'198183\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 05:31 PM\']
The one I don't get is all those reality shows on MTV/VH1 like "The Hills" and "I Love New York" and "Flavor Of Love" and "I Love Money". What's the point?
[/quote]
QFT. If I had to go after a reality show, I'd shoot for one of these. If I absolutely HAD to choose, I'd go for "I Love NY".
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

CarbonCpy

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 05:40:50 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'198183\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 05:31 PM\']
[/quote]

To make sure Joe McHale never runs out of material.

Timsterino

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 03:24:03 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'198126\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 12:47 AM\']
[/quote]

The Bachelor. I mean who really cares?

SteveR

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 12:09:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'198177\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 05:15 PM\']There are a number I'd like to get rid of, like The Bachelor or Big Brother, but if I could only choose one, I'd choose Survivor.  I just can't understand the continued appeal of that show.

On the other hand, I think Amazing Race is very deserving of its Best Reality Show Emmy.[/quote]
I got on the Survivor train late, so I'll probably be fried on it in another 3-4 go-rounds.

I'd bag BB and the entire VH1 cluster.

I also agree with TAR being deserving, even though many don't understand the Academy's infatuation with the show.

I thought it might be waning when Keoghan didn't get a host nomination.

Also, wouldn't TAR look spectacular in HD? (I get why it's probably impossible ... just imagining)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 01:24:55 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'198229\' date=\'Sep 26 2008, 09:09 AM\']
Also, wouldn't TAR look spectacular in HD? (I get why it's probably impossible ... just imagining)[/quote]
It would, and if they can do Survivor in Glorious Hi-Def(tm) now, I'm not sure I see why they can't do the same with TAR. It would sure get me back watching the show again.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe