Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What a difference a year makes  (Read 4170 times)

abba

What a difference a year makes
« on: January 25, 2009, 12:44:43 AM »
Remember last year: Deal was on 2-3 times a week . 5th Grader and lyrics were going strong. We had amne$ia. And this year there all basically gone. (5th Grader and Lyrics are having there Finalies this week). I really hope they will be back soon.

NickS

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 10:22:17 AM »
[quote name=\'abba\' post=\'206886\' date=\'Jan 24 2009, 11:44 PM\']
Remember last year: Deal was on 2-3 times a week . 5th Grader and lyrics were going strong. We had amne$ia. And this year there all basically gone. (5th Grader and Lyrics are having there Finalies this week). I really hope they will be back soon.
[/quote]

I don't know what's worse: your slaughter of the English language or that you really want Amne$ia back.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 10:22:52 AM by TeppanYaki »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:47:30 AM »
Too many half-baked concepts.  If I were a network exec or local station manager, I'd be soured on game shows myself.  I'd rather have quality than quantity.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Fedya

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »
Jimmy Owen wrote:
If I were a network exec or local station manager, I'd be soured on game shows myself.  I'd rather have quality than quantity.
How does that explain the glut of snarky judges in daytime?  ;-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

bandit_bobby

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 12:25:34 PM »
After Sunday, new episode of "5th Grader" tentatively won't resume until the spring.

inturnaround

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:11:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'206909\' date=\'Jan 25 2009, 12:03 PM\']
How does that explain the glut of snarky judges in daytime?  ;-)
[/quote]

What that says to me is that it's time for "Let's Bowl" to come back.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 03:16:17 PM »
[quote name=\'abba\' post=\'206886\' date=\'Jan 25 2009, 12:44 AM\']
[/quote]
Most of the primetime shows of the last three years sucked. There, I said it. The 2000 shows, although rushed on the air and overblown with their budgets, at least looked like they were competently produced.

However, syndication is still doing pretty well, with four of the six vets seeing ratings increases, and D/ND doing very well in the rookies department. I stopped worrying about primetime game shows a while ago.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 06:40:56 PM »
We had Temptation and Crosswords in first-run syndie.

I call this year a step-up.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jay Temple

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'206906\' date=\'Jan 25 2009, 09:47 AM\']
Too many half-baked concepts.  If I were a network exec or local station manager, I'd be soured on game shows myself.  I'd rather have quality than quantity.
[/quote]
Hear, hear. In early 2000, we had WWTBAM, Greed, Twenty-One and Winning Lines. While the last wasn't really my cup of tea, it was still well done.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

abba

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 10:56:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'206926\' date=\'Jan 25 2009, 06:40 PM\']
We had Temptation and Crosswords in first-run syndie.

I call this year a step-up.
[/quote]
Yeah syndie is great. Primetime is hanging tough now.

Card Shark

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 06:17:25 AM »
[quote name=\'abba\' post=\'206886\' date=\'Jan 25 2009, 12:44 AM\']
[/quote]

Yea, because IMHO, Deal 2-3 a week is boring. Hell, even 1 night a week is boring. It was an interesting idea at first, but predictable and boring. Yes, I know that there are those that like it. But, I think it started to experience what happened with Millionaire all those years ago, the only difference was that Millionaire required some brains.
Adam Strom

rugrats1

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' post=\'206946\' date=\'Jan 26 2009, 06:17 AM\']Deal 2-3 a week is boring. Hell, even 1 night a week is boring. It was an interesting idea at first, but predictable and boring. [/quote]

Not to mentioned that they practically stretched the game out with excessive filler and bickering. And when they have a $1 million winner, they keep spoiling it repeated in our faces. I used to be an avid fan of the show, but after the last $1 million win, back in October on the night then-presidential-candidate Obama had is infomercial, that was the limit for me.

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 12:31:12 PM »
If this hasn't already been pointed out, this Friday's season finales for "...5th Grader?" and "Lyrics!" are postponed.  "House" and "Lie to Me" reruns are airing instead.

I'm curious when we're going to start seeing third season eps of "...5th Grader?" again with the WGA writer credits again.  There seem to be a lot of second season episodes that never got aired for some reason (I suspect because they were civilian episodes without the "Visiting Class" or other gimmicks).  I noticed last night that they didn't even bother taking out Foxworthy's comment about wanting the first million dollar winner, as they've done with other second season episodes that've aired lately.

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'206949\' date=\'Jan 26 2009, 08:01 AM\']
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' post=\'206946\' date=\'Jan 26 2009, 06:17 AM\']Deal 2-3 a week is boring. Hell, even 1 night a week is boring. It was an interesting idea at first, but predictable and boring. [/quote]

Not to mentioned that they practically stretched the game out with excessive filler and bickering. And when they have a $1 million winner, they keep spoiling it repeated in our faces. I used to be an avid fan of the show, but after the last $1 million win, back in October on the night then-presidential-candidate Obama had is infomercial, that was the limit for me.
[/quote]

Yes, that's what killed it for me and has directly led to my disinterest in other primetime game shows.  There's a fine line between building suspense and just wasting time.
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com