Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC ratings taking a hit  (Read 1660 times)

rwalker

NBC ratings taking a hit
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:28:09 PM »
5.4 million viewers for the Friday show. Lowest in show history.

Gee, you think the 9pm Friday slot might be the reason?

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
NBC ratings taking a hit
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:35:02 PM »
NBC currently has 2 Top-20 shows, both of which have the work "football" in them.  This tends to be an indication of a failing network.

To answer your question, it really doesn't matter when DoND airs, because as long as it's on NBC, it's going to be low.
This signature is currently under construction.

gamed121683

NBC ratings taking a hit
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:45:31 PM »
It makes one wonder two things:

1) Would the fact that DOND is now on Monday-Friday in syndication have a bit to do with the ratings slump?

2) NBC has been in a downward spiral the past couple of years. Do you think their ratings will tank so bad, that they'll be the next Dumont? I'm sure people were saying the same thing about "The Peacock" 29-30 years ago. ("Supertrain", anyone?)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:48:48 PM by gamed121683 »

Casey

NBC ratings taking a hit
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 11:29:30 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' post=\'199052\' date=\'Oct 6 2008, 08:45 PM\']
2) NBC has been in a downward spiral the past couple of years. Do you think their ratings will tank so bad, that they'll be the next Dumont? I'm sure people were saying the same thing about "The Peacock" 29-30 years ago. ("Supertrain", anyone?)
[/quote]
Hey, we did get that rockin' Chain Reaction theme out of it! :)

JackSpader

NBC ratings taking a hit
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 11:45:18 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' post=\'199052\' date=\'Oct 6 2008, 08:45 PM\']
It makes one wonder two things:

1) Would the fact that DOND is now on Monday-Friday in syndication have a bit to do with the ratings slump?

[/quote]

Your second reason makes more sense.  And let's not forget, it's not just NBC it's broadcast TV in general.

Personally I still prefer NBC to anything on ABC.  If you were take away internet, TiVos, and cable channels, I'll bet the TV ratings landscape would be much different than it is, especially when you consider the viewing habits for certain target demographics.  

As far as I'm concerned, television is beyond what it was 30 or even 10 years ago.  Cable has long come of age and nowadays is the preferred choice for most TV viewing.  Younger viewers are far more into internet streaming of their shows than are older audiences, and in fact cable has been able to stay afloat with Video On Demand to where you already have a general idea of what will be the future of all television.  Right now, for the broadcast networks to survive, they will have to ditch the "broadcast" part of it and focus their attention towards changing trends, and advertisers will have no choice but to follow suit.

Jimmy Owen

NBC ratings taking a hit
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 11:45:56 PM »
They'll never go off the air, but I think they might turn to a more news/sports/information "Today"-show type of presentation in prime time.  Less expensive than scripted shows and they could share talent and resources with their cable nets.  Most of their hit shows (L&O, Earl, Office, Heroes) have run their course.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DjohnsonCB

NBC ratings taking a hit
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:34:45 AM »
The NBC daytime lineup consists of exactly two shows now, neither of which are games.  Not good in comparison to CBS and ABC.  And I still feel they ought to try and keep Jay Leno by giving him a prime-time hour at 10 PM ET a couple of nights a week a la Jack Paar in 1963-65 (yes, I know he was only on Fridays, but still...).

Calling them the next DuMont seems a bit harsh.  DuMont failed because they were financially impoverished and didn't have enough stations.  Besides, there's no more UPN or WB either.  Still, I've also thought about a TV landscape without NBC.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel