Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rayburn & Lewis: a possible record  (Read 6060 times)

Eric Paddon

Rayburn & Lewis: a possible record
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »
If Tom Kennedy were to appear on Regis's Password in 2009 or 2010 he'd match or break the record!  (not going to happen of course but it's the only scenario I can think of that theoretically could happen in regards to this record).

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 08:09:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'199153\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 06:29 PM\']
If Tom Kennedy were to appear on Regis's Password in 2009 or 2010 he'd match or break the record!  (not going to happen of course but it's the only scenario I can think of that theoretically could happen in regards to this record).
[/quote]

I think this is more in regards to the same two people appearing on one another's shows (hence the Robert Q.-Rayburn reference and the White-Rayburn record holder).

I think in the case of Tom Kennedy it would probably be more like a Kitty Carlisle scenario, appearing on versions of series decades apart (just on the surface, of course).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 08:56:17 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'199158\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 07:09 PM\']
I think in the case of Tom Kennedy it would probably be more like a Kitty Carlisle scenario, appearing on versions of series decades apart (just on the surface, of course).
[/quote]
I see where Eric was going, though.  Remember, Kennedy hosted P+ from October 1980-March 1982, and Regis appeared twice in that timeframe.  So it would fit if TK were to appear on Regis' version.

ETA:  Not that Eric needs me to speak for him. :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:58:28 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Eric Paddon

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 08:56:55 PM »
Regis was on Password Plus when Tom was host which was why it would theoretically be possible for the record to be broken if Tom appeared on the current Password next year.

Edit-(made my post just at the exact same time!)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:58:04 PM by Eric Paddon »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 10:52:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'199169\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 08:56 PM\']
Regis was on Password Plus when Tom was host which was why it would theoretically be possible for the record to be broken if Tom appeared on the current Password next year.[/quote]
Interestingly, I had the very same though about the even-more-unlikely possibility of Tom Kennedy turning up on Jeopardy.  Alex Trebek was a celebrity player on Tom's To Say The Least.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

pyrfan

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 01:22:59 AM »
Cool thread. Now let's go to the other end of the spectrum. Can anyone find the shortest gap between hosts appearing on each other's shows? (Not counting syndicated shows, whose airdates were subject to change.) I've already found two examples of hosts appearing on each other's shows within a week of each other and one example of hosts who appeared on each other's shows in the same week.

Guesses?

Brendan

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 01:33:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'199169\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 07:56 PM\']
Regis was on Password Plus when Tom was host which was why it would theoretically be possible for the record to be broken if Tom appeared on the current Password next year.
[/quote]

Oh...now it makes more sense.

You learn something new every day.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

tpirfan28

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 08:19:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'199198\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 10:52 PM\']
Interestingly, I had the very same though about the even-more-unlikely possibility of Tom Kennedy turning up on Jeopardy.  Alex Trebek was a celebrity player on Tom's To Say The Least.
[/quote]
Time to bust out Game Show Hosts week on J!.

/there probably isn't 15 who would play.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 08:25:01 AM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'199216\' date=\'Oct 8 2008, 12:22 AM\']Guesses?[/quote]Seeing that its coming from the Pyramid fan; I'll guess you're referring to a week where Bill did the daytime show and Dick was on the syndie?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jay Temple

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »
The fact that he rules out syndicated shows knocks out a LOT of stuff, including Cullen's 25KP.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BrandonFG

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 02:32:21 PM »
Perhaps Peter Marshall on the NBC game show hosts episode of "Jeopardy!", then Art Fleming appearing on "Hollywood Squares"? Don't know the time frames of those.

My other guess is Convy appearing on "Match Game '74", then Rayburn going on "Tattletales"?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 04:03:27 PM »
Wait a minute--didn't Ludden do a walk-on on 50 GRAND SLAM and Kennedy a walk-on on STUMPERS during the premeire week (if not the premiere day)?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 04:08:43 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'199250\' date=\'Oct 8 2008, 04:03 PM\']
Wait a minute--didn't Ludden do a walk-on on 50 GRAND SLAM and Kennedy a walk-on on STUMPERS during the premeire week (if not the premiere day)?
[/quote]

Yes, a few minutes apart (unless you lived in my market where there was an hour between Stumpers and 50.  They had news at noon and delayed NBC's noon show to 1pm.)

Does Match Game/Hollywood Squares count? :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 08:31:35 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 05:08:19 PM »
To just go back to the original premise, if Betty White were to ever do WOF in 2011 that would match the record since Pat Sajak was on for a week of "Just Men" in 83 as well too.

pyrfan

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008, 01:33:21 AM »
A few hints are in order, I believe:

1. I was referring to hosts appearing on each other's shows as players, not just cameos, which rules out the "Stumpers"/"50 Grand Slam" scenario (though that was a clever guess).

2. One instance of hosts appearing on each other's shows in back-to-back weeks happened in 1973 (actually, it happened twice that year, with the same hosts), and the other happened in 1980. The instance of the two hosts appearing on each other's shows in the same week happened in 1975.

3. None of the three shows mentioned above are "Pyramid."

4. There are six different hosts involved in the scenarios mentioned in item 2 -- no overlap.

Brendan