Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Goodson/Todman Question  (Read 1711 times)

arrowood20

Goodson/Todman Question
« on: October 13, 2008, 03:39:34 AM »
This might seem like a dumb question, but I read somewhere that around the late 60s and early 70s, Mark Goodson and Bill Todman weren't exactly getting along too well. I always thought that Goodson was involved with the games themselves, and Todman handled things like the financial aspects and celebrity contracts. I know being partners in business, they were both at the same "executive" level, but I can't really figure out what they could have had disagreements about if each handled separate parts of the business.

Ryan :)

Loogaroo

Goodson/Todman Question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 06:41:17 AM »
I remember reading from Curt Alliaume's page that Todman wanted to axe the original The Price is Right and accept a buyout from NBC after a SNAFU-laden pilot episode, but Goodson went ahead with the show anyway.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Goodson/Todman Question
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 03:56:32 AM »
It was Bob Stewart who persuaded the boys to go ahead with TPIR on NBC (according to Stewart's account). Stewart was basically trying to save his job.

At some point Bud Austin came into the picture and took over negotiations with the networks. He was able to command much higher fees than Todman. Bud Austin later became involved with Burt Sugarman and Jay Wolpert on Whew! and Jerry (Giraud) Chester took that position.

There was more to the partnership than game shows, don't forget. According to one account, Todman diversified the business by purchasing regional newspapers in New England and a radio station in Seattle which made lots of money, while Goodson continued to potschke around with game shows.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 04:02:33 AM by chris319 »