Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trivial Pursuit vs. Cash Cab: No Contest  (Read 1273 times)

Sodboy13

Trivial Pursuit vs. Cash Cab: No Contest
« on: October 16, 2008, 12:42:29 PM »
Pretty well-written piece here that starts out with two shows, and kind of expands to what's right and wrong in game shows today.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

GS Guy

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 02:02:44 PM »
It is an interesting article about both shows and game shows in general. Do you think the idea of having "hyped-up in studio people" is a good or bad move? Do you think the AT Captain on TP:AP is a fair representative of America? Yeah, they are showing excitement and energy, but they are watching and playing along with the game. Some people show their excitement mildly, others more excited. Would you like the AT Captain more or less if they were quietly watching the game? And unlike other shows, these captains do represent a wide, various cross section of people in their many different and unique ways.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:03:33 PM »
The Onion gets it right. Cash Cab is great just because you get around all of those things like absurd payoffs for doing nothing, contestants who are merely archetypes instead of real people, and awkward commercial breaks. I don't think I've ever rooted against a contestant or group in the cab. I know for certain that doesn't apply to shows like The Deal, and Trivial Pursuit, even.

It also helps that the questions move at a decent clip, the payoffs are just right, and there's enough variation with the Red Light Challenge and the Video Bonus that the game doesn't become monotonous.
Travis L. Eberle