Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Slightly OT: DoND Scratcher  (Read 2445 times)

tvmitch

Slightly OT: DoND Scratcher
« on: October 13, 2008, 04:32:09 PM »
The PA Lottery is now offering a (boring, unoriginal, typical) $3 scratcher for DoND. You can't really see the text on the info page for the ticket, which says something along the lines of "win up to $2.5 million on the daily version" of the show.

The PA Lottery is hardly any source of reliable information about the TV show. But what can we take away from that $2.5M figure? The players who have been playing thus far on the daily version don't get to play again, right? (I haven't been paying enough attention.)

Are there going to be special multiplier weeks or similar stunts? The whole thing just seems a bit off to me.
You should follow me on Twitter

chad1m

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 04:34:23 PM »
Well, if I remember correctly, I think when the show was originally piloted for ABC, the top prize then was $2,500,000. Maybe that could have something to do with it?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 04:34:55 PM by chad1m »

Scani71

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 05:13:03 PM »
http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol38/38-39/1763.html

If I'm interpreting this right...

- Seven "second-chance" winners are drawn, all get a free trip to Hollywood and some cash.
- One is randomly drawn to play the game as usual. At the end, they spin up a wheel to multiply their winnings (up to 5x). If I'm looking at the rules correctly, this game will not be broadcast.
- Separately from the above, all get the opportunity to audition for the show during a "Lottery Winner's Week" that will make it to air.

WhammyPower

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:32:54 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'199526\' date=\'Oct 13 2008, 03:32 PM\'] The PA Lottery is now offering a (boring, unoriginal, typical) $3 scratcher for DoND. You can't really see the text on the info page for the ticket, which says something along the lines of "win up to $2.5 million on the daily version" of the show.

The PA Lottery is hardly any source of reliable information about the TV show. But what can we take away from that $2.5M figure? The players who have been playing thus far on the daily version don't get to play again, right? (I haven't been paying enough attention.)

Are there going to be special multiplier weeks or similar stunts? The whole thing just seems a bit off to me. [/quote]
Well, it sounds like it's the top prize ($500,000) * 5 days, which also answers the question of whether contestants on Monday shows stay through Friday.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 05:49:08 PM »
A new version of the Deal or No Deal instant ticket popped up in Ohio within the past 2 weeks.  It's the same game as last year ($5 ticket, $100K top prize) but with the same $2.5M possibility attached.

To answer the $2.5M possibility, looking at this page, it says the following...

"Three (3) second chance drawings will be conducted for the new DEAL OR NO DEAL instant game. In the first of the three (3) drawings, four (4) Game Show Experience Trip winners will be selected and four (4) drawing finalists will be entered into the big “Multi-State Second Chance Drawing” grand prize of an amount between $250,000 and $2,500,000!"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 05:50:47 PM by MikeK »

joshg

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 10:34:10 PM »
God forbid PA does anything original. At least IL had an interesting DOND ripoff ticket, called "Sizzlin' Showdown". You scratch off the amounts and the one left is what you won. PA seems to rely on the "match these numbers to those numbers" kind of games. I'm still surprised that PA did a TPIR ticket.
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 01:53:23 AM »
[quote name=\'joshg\' post=\'199553\' date=\'Oct 13 2008, 07:34 PM\']
PA seems to rely on the "match these numbers to those numbers" kind of games.[/quote]
Know why? 'Cuz that's a concept that stupid people can understand.

/not saying everyone in PA is stupid
//just the lottery players
///and Flyers fans
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

joshg

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 09:16:30 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'199567\' date=\'Oct 13 2008, 10:53 PM\']
[quote name=\'joshg\' post=\'199553\' date=\'Oct 13 2008, 07:34 PM\']
PA seems to rely on the "match these numbers to those numbers" kind of games.[/quote]
Know why? 'Cuz that's a concept that stupid people can understand.

/not saying everyone in PA is stupid
//just the lottery players
///and Flyers fans
[/quote]

There must be a lot of stupid people in PA because we have no fewer than eight different numbers games alone. And some of them draw twice a day. They have so many drawings on one broadcast, the numbers draw themselves. The studio must be a barn because of all the machines lined up next to each other.

And Palin cursed the Flyers because they can see Russia from the Center currently known as Wachovia.

tvmitch

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 01:57:20 PM »
[quote name=\'joshg\' post=\'199574\' date=\'Oct 14 2008, 09:16 AM\']
There must be a lot of stupid people in PA because we have no fewer than eight different numbers games alone. And some of them draw twice a day. They have so many drawings on one broadcast, the numbers draw themselves. The studio must be a barn because of all the machines lined up next to each other.

And Palin cursed the Flyers because they can see Russia from the Center currently known as Wachovia.
[/quote]
To go even more off-topic for a bit, because this seems to be a shared interest:

That lottery studio is one and the same as the main WHP-TV news studio. Flip around the cameras, wheel in the machines, curtain down, and presto, you have a lottery drawing. This explains the (terrible) video quality and production values of the PA Lottery numbers games feed at 6:59pm each night.

Day drawings, every day: Pick 3, Pick 4, Quinto, Treasure Hunt (5 of 30)
Night drawings, every day: Pick 3, Pick 4, Quinto, Cash 5 (5 of 42)
Mondays/Thursdays: Mix & Match (5 of 19 in order)
Tuesdays/Fridays: Match 6 (6 of 49, multi-line)
Plus the normal Powerball drawings. And the insane amount of "when your number matches the target number" scratch-off games.

Yes, it is a bit overkill. At the end of the drawing, prior to last month, the Lottery used to show a super of the morning numbers (3 lines w/o Quinto) plus the numbers from the just-occurred night drawing. Now with the addition of Quinto, they don't have the space to fit all 8 to 9 rows of numbers on screen at once! But the Lottery must be doing something right, because revenues just keep going up and up.

/I do enjoy the automatic push-button draw for the Pick 3/4/5 games that they use each night, a la the UK
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 01:58:24 PM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 03:02:02 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'199580\' date=\'Oct 14 2008, 10:57 AM\']
But the Lottery must be doing something right, because revenues just keep going up and up.[/quote]
Never underestimate the earning potential of any business that depends upon the stupid to succeed.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

joshg

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 08:51:50 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'199585\' date=\'Oct 14 2008, 12:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'199580\' date=\'Oct 14 2008, 10:57 AM\']
But the Lottery must be doing something right, because revenues just keep going up and up.[/quote]
Never underestimate the earning potential of any business that depends upon the stupid to succeed.
[/quote]
Guess I'm stupid then...