Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Home Game Suggestions?  (Read 2169 times)

arrowood20

Home Game Suggestions?
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:36:02 AM »
I'm doing some Christmas shopping, and would like to know which game show games are worth purchasing. Does anybody have any suggestions for something to look into buying, or something to steer clear of? Thanks in advance for any help.

Ryan :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Home Game Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:15:00 AM »
[quote name=\'arrowood20\' post=\'202215\' date=\'Nov 22 2008, 09:36 PM\']
I'm doing some Christmas shopping, and would like to know which game show games are worth purchasing. Does anybody have any suggestions for something to look into buying, or something to steer clear of? Thanks in advance for any help.[/quote]
You can never, ever, EVER go wrong with Password.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

Home Game Suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 01:31:59 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'202217\' date=\'Nov 23 2008, 01:15 AM\']You can never, ever, EVER go wrong with Password. [/quote]Agree. I have yet to play it, but by looking at the materials for the Endless MDP box game (digital timer, etc.), I think that would be good fun.

I also would recommend getting any 1 vs. 100 game. Everyone at your party can participate in the mob, so no one is ever left out. I have the DVD game, but it only supports up to six home mobsters.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 01:39:23 AM by chad1m »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Home Game Suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 01:32:50 AM »
Unless you can find someone to play with who appreciates the subject matter I'd suggest staying away from the specialized Jeopardy games (i.e. Simpsons J!), unless you're a collector.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Home Game Suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 04:34:45 AM »
[quote name=\'arrowood20\' post=\'202215\' date=\'Nov 23 2008, 12:36 AM\']
I'm doing some Christmas shopping, and would like to know which game show games are worth purchasing. Does anybody have any suggestions for something to look into buying, or something to steer clear of? Thanks in advance for any help.[/quote]I'd stay away from the DVD games; I haven't read many positive reviews of them; the one I bought was piss-poor (TPiR).

Some of the games I've had a good experience with are:
  • Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?--Board Game
  • Pyramid (Cardinal or Endless)
  • Win, Lose, or Draw
  • One of my all time favorites is the MB WoF games.  You can easily make any puzzle you want with these.
While not all the games above play out exactly the show, you can easily adapt most of them if you wish.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

calliaume

Home Game Suggestions?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 08:31:30 AM »
Note that some of the board game suggestions, both mine and others', are going to be for games that came out 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago -- so you're probably going to get them used off eBay.  Make sure the person you're giving them to knows that.  Also, what age will the recipient be?  That may affect what's good for them.

Again, Password always works.  I've also found Concentration is a good game, because it doesn't have a lot of rules to explain.  And usually Wheel of Fortune is a good option, since virtually everybody knows the rules.

I'm not a big fan of Jeopardy! as a home game -- the older versions have a lot of questions that are specific to the era, and if one person is more of a trivia buff than others (I fit in that category), it gets boring for the others.  Figuring out who buzzed in first can be a problem in some of the less high-tech versions.

Stay away from the '70s versions of Match Game (the '60s versions are cool, and don't take long to explain).  Heck, I'd stay away from almost any '70s Milton Bradley game except the ones mentioned above.

I haven't played the home versions of Family Feud very much -- what's the consensus on those?

DrBear

Home Game Suggestions?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 09:41:39 AM »
One problem we had with the Family Feud game in my crowd was that one person had to sit out to be the "host."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Jimmy Owen

Home Game Suggestions?
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 10:06:10 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'202224\' date=\'Nov 23 2008, 09:41 AM\']
One problem we had with the Family Feud game in my crowd was that one person had to sit out to be the "host."
[/quote]

I liked being the host rather than playing the game.  Lips got sore after a while, but, oh well.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tpirfan28

Home Game Suggestions?
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 10:49:18 AM »
Absolutely agreed with on Password and Pyramid.  They are a blast to play, and easily adaptable to more players.  If you can find a copy of the 2nd Edition TPIR game from Endless, it's a good product too.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

MikeK

• Martha!
Home Game Suggestions?
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »
If you're looking for recent inexpensive games, I'd look at stores like Big Lots.  I've found some games I had never seen in stores and for very little, like The Amazing Race board game for $5, the Password DVD game for $4, and the Jeopardy! electronic handheld game from 3 years ago for $3.  A regional store new to this area, Ollie's Bargain Outlet, has a good variety of Endless Games home games for $5 each.  I recall seeing TPiR 2nd edition, The $25,000 Pyramid, several editions of Password, and Card Sharks at Ollie's a week ago, each for $5, as well as the 1 vs. 100 DVD game for no more than $6.

arrowood20

Home Game Suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 12:07:18 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. Very much appreciated. The person who I am shopping for is a word game fanatic. My plan has been to put together a large gift for them. I figured I put one or two editions of "Password" and "Pyramid" games, plus the "Best of Password" DVD, and a DVD of some "Pyramid" shows. Again, thanks to all of you for your help. :)

Ryan :)