Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Play "What If"!  (Read 6485 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Let's Play "What If"!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 02:23:08 PM »
[quote name=\'RMF\' post=\'200970\' date=\'Nov 3 2008, 06:37 PM\']
and Ray Combs[/quote]
Combs continues his comedy career, which launches into the stratosphere when he works a new gimmick into his act where he dons a leather jacket and tells filthy versions of The Brothers Grimm's fairy tales. (A year later, he is informed he will no longer be invited to perform on the Jerry Lewis Telethon following an unfortunate incident where he relates a particularly enthusiastic encounter between Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf.) Ray "Spinner" Combs parlays the publicity into a late-night talk-show gig. Conan O'Brien remains obscure.

Meanwhile, young comic Andrew Silverstein, dismayed at the discovery that his "dirty Mother Goose rhyme" bit has Been Done, goes mainstream, citing Bill Cosby as an influence, and begins including "You Might Be From Philadelphia If..." as a regular feature of his set. He strikes oil and is heralded as the man who brought Good Wholesome Fambly Fun back to network television. He is eventually tapped to host "Are You Smarter Than A Greedy Millionaire By A Power Of 10" and becomes a nationwide sensation.

Jeff Foxworthy never gets closer to television than being a member of a NASCAR pit crew.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Let's Play "What If"!
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 03:24:42 PM »
Conan O'Brien remains obscure.
Fine with me, and hopefully Andy Dick remains just as obscure. Remind me what Andy Dick is famous for? Conan continues to produce The Simpsons.

Jeremy Nelson

Let's Play "What If"!
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'201015\' date=\'Nov 4 2008, 10:01 AM\']
Because Richard Dawson never got "Feud", he stayed happy on MG and the show was never moved from its 3:30 timeslot until February 1980. [/quote]
He doesn't necessarily stay happy, because he still sees the Star Wheel as a personal slight. Richard still had an ego on MG, it's just that Feud ballooned it to Barker-high levels.

[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'201030\' date=\'Nov 4 2008, 02:10 PM\']Remind me what Andy Dick is famous for? [/quote]Enjoying his last name a bit too much :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:03:19 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Let's Play "What If"!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 04:13:25 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'201034\' date=\'Nov 4 2008, 03:45 PM\']
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'201015\' date=\'Nov 4 2008, 10:01 AM\']
Because Richard Dawson never got "Feud", he stayed happy on MG and the show was never moved from its 3:30 timeslot until February 1980. [/quote]
He doesn't necessarily stay happy, because he still sees the Star Wheel as a personal slight. Richard still had an ego on MG, it's just that Feud ballooned it to Barker-high levels.
[/quote]

Who's to say the Star Wheel even exists in this universe?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

aaron sica

Let's Play "What If"!
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 04:36:45 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'201036\' date=\'Nov 4 2008, 03:59 PM\']
[/quote]

I'm thinking it doesn't....The "Star Wheel", AFAIK, was the last straw with Dawson - because he wasn't picked all the time, he quit. In the alternate universe where Dawson stays with MG until 1980, the Wheel never materialized. The set also never changed during that seven year run, either. Incidentally, MG PM still aired until 1981 - however, in this alternate universe the daily syndie MG didn't start until fall 1980 (still ran until 1982, though).

He also participated in MG90 (which still aired, still with Ross Shafer), but he was a semi-regular. He was almost always picked during the weeks that he appeared.

Jimmy Owen

Let's Play "What If"!
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 04:46:36 PM »
Back in 76, I thought that it would be better if Richard had hosted "Hot Seat" and Jim Peck had hosted "Family Feud."  Mostly because I wanted Jim to have a hit show, but I think Richard would have been a little more provocative with the HS format.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jeremy Nelson

Let's Play "What If"!
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 09:36:51 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'201039\' date=\'Nov 4 2008, 03:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'201036\' date=\'Nov 4 2008, 03:59 PM\']
[/quote]

I'm thinking it doesn't....The "Star Wheel", AFAIK, was the last straw with Dawson - because he wasn't picked all the time, he quit. [/quote]
I always thought the wheel was implemented because everybody picked Dawson for the Head to Head match. That's why I assumed that if Richard was with the show for so long in the alternate universe, then the wheel would be brought in regardless.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

tpirfan28

Let's Play "What If"!
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 10:02:51 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'200965\' date=\'Nov 3 2008, 08:38 PM\']
2. Richard Dawson would stay with Match Game until its cancellation by CBS in 1980.  His three attempts at hosting game shows in the 1970s, however, would be failures:  The Better Sex (with Sarah Purcell) in 1977 and both Make Me Laugh and All-New Beat the Clock in 1979.  Dawson and Rayburn would eventually team up as co-hosts of The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour in 1983; that version would run nine months.  Dawson would then take over as solo host of The Hollywood Squares in 1986.
[/quote]
Now see, I would have seen Dawson taking over for Fantasy, been a semi-regular on MG/HS, and Peter Marshall hosting MG/HS with Rayburn.  This version would last three years.  MG and HS would have shown up in syndication in 1990, with Dawson hosting HS.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"