Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration '73 theme as TPIR Showcase music  (Read 3674 times)

TServo2049

Concentration '73 theme as TPIR Showcase music
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:33:51 PM »
Hello,

Does anybody still have those cassette tapes that Matt Ottinger used to send out in the 90s? Three of them had clear versions of GS themes and related music, and the fourth "bonus tape" included off-air recordings of game show music.

I ask because I distinctly remember that, in a montage of TPIR Showcases featured on the "bonus tape" there was a use of the Concentration '73 theme as Showcase music. The actual theme. I absolutely swear that I am not making this up.

I asked Mr. Ottinger about this a couple years back, and he told me that he no longer had any of the audio material (which he said was assembled by someone else). This is why I ask if any old-school GS fans still have these cassettes lying around. If someone still has the tape, please listen to it and confirm that my memory isn't playing tricks on me.

If I'm indeed correct, this would be very interesting for TPIR cue history.

Does anybody still have that Ottinger cassette so that they can clarify?

Mr. Bill

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:28:25 PM »
[quote name=\'TServo2049\' post=\'201948\' date=\'Nov 18 2008, 10:33 PM\']
Hello,

Does anybody still have those cassette tapes that Matt Ottinger used to send out in the 90s? Three of them had clear versions of GS themes and related music, and the fourth "bonus tape" included off-air recordings of game show music.

I ask because I distinctly remember that, in a montage of TPIR Showcases featured on the "bonus tape" there was a use of the Concentration '73 theme as Showcase music. The actual theme. I absolutely swear that I am not making this up.

Does anybody still have that Ottinger cassette so that they can clarify?
[/quote]
This is your lucky day!  Not only do I have the "bonus tape", I'm the one who made it then gave it to Matt to distribute.  I don't immediately remember if the Concentration 73 theme was actually used in the showcases, but I can take a listen while I rip them to mp3 in the near future.

BTW, that Concentration '73 music package was the source for a number of TPIR cues in addition to their use on that show.  You should be familiar with Car Prize Cue #1 which is still used today.  Car Prize Cue #2 features the organ/piano duo instead of the synthesizer and it was used often in the early days for prize packages.

Prize Cue #10 and #11 are similar, one is the "chimes" variation used frequently for oriental items.  #11 is the piano version which in the early years was also used for a prize package description.  Cue #9 is another, unused variation.

Cue #8 is an unused variation of the Car Prize cues, more of a jazzed-up guitar track. And #12, another. much slower, variant, was used for many years to describe the items in Grocery Game.

These and a number of other packages are available at TVPMM, where by digging around I've found a few more variations of things, like a Rhythm Vamp version of Big Banana and a version of the current trip music.  That one I found on one of Edd Kalehoff's demo reels marked "Golf-ABC".

Well, that's probably more information than you wanted. :)

PS -- on the subject of showcase music,  the halftime theme from Now You See It was also used on a few occasions.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:30:38 PM by Mr. Bill »

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 11:07:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Bill\' post=\'202038\' date=\'Nov 19 2008, 08:28 PM\']
These and a number of other packages are available at TVPMM, where by digging around I've found a few more variations of things, like a Rhythm Vamp version of Big Banana and a version of the current trip music.  That one I found on one of Edd Kalehoff's demo reels marked "Golf-ABC".
[/quote]

Wow. That certainly does sound familiar!!!! Surprised it never got mentioned....
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

GrandGame1440

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 06:22:33 AM »
Where did you happen to find the Big Banana vamp, if you recall.  I've been checking around, to no avail.

dale_grass

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »
[quote name=\'GrandGame1440\' post=\'202068\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 07:22 AM\']
Where did you happen to find the Big Banana vamp, if you recall.  I've been checking around, to no avail.
[/quote]
Score Productions Demos, bottom-left player, Track 9

CarShark

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 05:49:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'202049\' date=\'Nov 19 2008, 11:07 PM\']
[quote name=\'Mr. Bill\' post=\'202038\' date=\'Nov 19 2008, 08:28 PM\']
[/quote]

Wow. That certainly does sound familiar!!!! Surprised it never got mentioned....
[/quote]It doesn't surprise me. I've been there a bunch of times and missed it. I guess it's because unless you see "Price is Right XXX Cue", you don't really look at it. Kind of tunnel vision for your ears. :P

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 10:32:31 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'202097\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 05:49 PM\']
I guess it's because unless you see "Price is Right XXX Cue", you don't really look at it.
[/quote]

And in a case like that you don't look at it unless no one else is around.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

dale_grass

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 09:00:04 AM »
On a semi-related vein, I've hit all the sections and listened to a few pieces from each.  There are a lot of interesting production pieces in there, and I've found myself humming one or two at times.  I think it's worth it to anyone who does have the game show blinders on to take them off and take a tour.  You might find something you like.

Mr. Bill

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 10:06:38 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'202129\' date=\'Nov 21 2008, 09:00 AM\']
On a semi-related vein, I've hit all the sections and listened to a few pieces from each.  There are a lot of interesting production pieces in there, and I've found myself humming one or two at times.  I think it's worth it to anyone who does have the game show blinders on to take them off and take a tour.  You might find something you like.
[/quote]
What Dale said.  You'll never know what you've missed unless you try things out.

Argo

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 02:23:20 AM »
And in the same list as the big banana mix, Track 8 is definately a version of "Sam" cue on TPIR used for the first two prizes on 10 changes, well used to be anyway.