Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question On Taping Locations...  (Read 1738 times)

TimK2003

Question On Taping Locations...
« on: November 24, 2009, 11:14:30 AM »
This question popped into my head while watching a string of old shows over the weekend:  During the closing credits of a show, I have seen mentions of where a show was taped. On some shows, like those originating from Television City, an actual CBS logo with the "Television City" credit is included, while other shows (like some NBC shows) would mention studio locations in text only where the show was shot at "NBC Studios, Burbank", or "Sunset/Bronson Studios".

On the announcing side, nearly every game show taped at Beverly & Fairfax would also be mentioned by the announcer as "From Television City in Hollywood" as well either at the beginning or end of the show..

1)  Is/Was it a requirement by some studios &/or networks that the taping location must be noted either verbally or in the credits?

2)  Does/Did a studio location mention ever give the producer a discount of any sort for use of the studio?

3)  Must a location be mentioned if a network's or studio's own crew members are used by a production company, as opposed to a production company using all their own "employees"?

I'm just curious as to why there is such a variance in the use of "studio credits" over the years?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 04:11:49 PM »
FWIW, I remember the old CBS airings of All in the Family actually started in black with an announcer saying "from Television City in Hollywood", then faded up to Archie and Edith singing the song.

Even at such a young age I thought it was weird that they'd start the show in black.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 05:10:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'231190\' date=\'Nov 24 2009, 04:11 PM\']FWIW, I remember the old CBS airings of All in the Family actually started in black with an announcer saying "from Television City in Hollywood", then faded up to Archie and Edith singing the song.

Even at such a young age I thought it was weird that they'd start the show in black.[/quote]
Apparently Good Times did the same thing, at least according to the TVOne reruns.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

ewalker3

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:41:11 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'231160\' date=\'Nov 24 2009, 11:14 AM\']This question popped into my head while watching a string of old shows over the weekend:  During the closing credits of a show, I have seen mentions of where a show was taped. On some shows, like those originating from Television City, an actual CBS logo with the "Television City" credit is included, while other shows (like some NBC shows) would mention studio locations in text only where the show was shot at "NBC Studios, Burbank", or "Sunset/Bronson Studios".

On the announcing side, nearly every game show taped at Beverly & Fairfax would also be mentioned by the announcer as "From Television City in Hollywood" as well either at the beginning or end of the show..[/quote]

They used to do that for years. I think the last show that did that in recent memory: the Game Show Marathon
and before that the Wayne Brady should would open with "from television city.."