Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel Question  (Read 3099 times)

nate80s

Wheel Question
« on: November 19, 2008, 05:42:14 PM »
Are the contestants on Wheel Of Fortune encouraged to not look down at the wheel after the wheel has stopped to see what they have landed on?  I always thought that was weird.

Nate

Kevin Prather

Wheel Question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »
[quote name=\'nate80s\' post=\'201999\' date=\'Nov 19 2008, 02:42 PM\']
Are the contestants on Wheel Of Fortune encouraged to not look down at the wheel after the wheel has stopped to see what they have landed on?  I always thought that was weird.

Nate
[/quote]
I don't think that's the case at all. They don't need to stare it down for long to know what they landed on. They have it processed before the camera cuts to them.

chad1m

Wheel Question
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:21:35 PM »
I think they're simply encouraged to work on the puzzle while it's spinning rather than watch the pretty colors.

Kevin Prather

Wheel Question
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:25:52 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'202035\' date=\'Nov 19 2008, 06:21 PM\']
I think they're simply encouraged to work on the puzzle while it's spinning rather than watch the pretty colors.
[/quote]
And that's funny, because given the direction WoF contestants have gone in general over the past 10 years, you'd think that exactly the opposite would be true. Look good on TV first, play the game second.

beatlefreak84

Wheel Question
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 11:27:30 PM »
In our contestant briefing, yes; we were explicitly told to NOT look at the wheel while it was spinning so that we could spend that time looking at the used letter board and the puzzle board.  From what I gathered, that was more of a "speed-up-the-game" issue; after all, if you were studying the puzzle, you were much more likely to have a letter ready to pick out when the wheel stopped, and, of course, a much less likely chance of calling an already-used letter.

They also reminded us that there was no need to look at the wheel, as Pat would say what we landed on (or sound effects would tell us).

\I still did...;)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel Question
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 11:34:27 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'202051\' date=\'Nov 19 2008, 08:27 PM\']
From what I gathered, that was more of a "speed-up-the-game" issue;[/quote]
Or a the-folks-at-home-don't-want-to-see-the-top-of-your-head issue.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Timsterino

Wheel Question
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 11:46:35 PM »
[quote name=\'nate80s\' post=\'201999\' date=\'Nov 19 2008, 05:42 PM\']

Nate
[/quote]

Yes, we were told not to look at the wheel. That is why Pat says the dollar amount we land on.

SwohS Emag

Wheel Question
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 12:08:47 AM »
And if you're not looking at the Wheel, it theoretically makes your spin more "random", in that you're not aiming  for a certain space on the Wheel.

Craig Karlberg

Wheel Question
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 04:26:00 AM »
The only times Pat doesn't tell the players the dollar amounts they landed on are the top dollar value, the prize wedgsa(including that $1M one), the tokens & the 2 bad spaces(though he usually say nasty things when they approach said things).  Isn't there a monitor somewhere in the studio that show the postion of the player's pointer on the wheel?  If so, maybe they should keep one eye on that & the other on the puzzleboard.  I know it's hard to actually "multitask" here but it's better than just looking down on that wheel because what they see down there is really upside-down.

dale_grass

Wheel Question
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 07:47:15 AM »
You guys aren't realizing what the contestants already know: the wheel has a brake controlled by Sajak himself.  As soon as somebody spins, the mics are cut and Pat whispers what he'll let the contestant land on.  (If it's a big wedge or a wedge next to a Bankrupt, Pat tell him to "act relieved.")  It's pointless to risk injury to any cervical vertibrae while looking down when you already know.

\Of course, I could be wrong...

Kevin Prather

Wheel Question
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 12:13:25 PM »
Come on, Dale. Quit hoggin' all the internets.

dale_grass

Wheel Question
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 08:28:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'202142\' date=\'Nov 21 2008, 01:13 PM\']
Come on, Dale. Quit hoggin' all the internets.
[/quote]
Sorry.  I'll go back to lurking. ;)

Robert Hutchinson

Wheel Question
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 10:42:25 PM »
[quote name=\'SwohS Emag\' post=\'202115\' date=\'Nov 21 2008, 12:08 AM\']And if you're not looking at the Wheel, it theoretically makes your spin more "random", in that you're not aiming  for a certain space on the Wheel.[/quote]
*blink*

*blink blink*

Okay then.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

GrandMasterGalvatron

Wheel Question
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 09:27:05 AM »
I suppose if you REALLY wanted to look at the Wheel, you could do it during someone else's turn.