Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Million Dollar Password Rules  (Read 3425 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Million Dollar Password Rules
« on: November 24, 2008, 12:31:06 PM »
They're on Buzzer, but I want to give the highlights.

-2 dictionary sources make up the word base, but you can go off the board with popularly used "coined" words.

-Opposites and rhymes are okay, but "rhyme" isn't, even though "opposite" is

-Vocal inflection and minor gesturing is okay; singing isn't

-Apostrophes are okay; hyphens aren't (except for e-mail)

-Proper nouns and "well-known" brand names are okay; strictly foreign words and acronyms aren't

-Form and/or stem or the word are accepted as correct guesses.

To me, there seems to be some minor inconsistencies, but I can't imagine there was that big a stink.
This signature is currently under construction.

chad1m

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »
Yep, nothing drastically different from versions past, minus the "no singing popular songs" rules. If anyone wants the whole 15 page version, email me and I'll gladly ship it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:11:07 PM by chad1m »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 02:15:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'202260\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 12:31 PM\']To me, there seems to be some minor inconsistencies, but I can't imagine there was that big a stink.[/quote]
Actually, my first thought is that I'm impressed they put so much effort into their rules.  They also closed off what I always thought was one of the goofier loopholes with the traditional version, the fact that you could "sing" your way to a lyric-based answer.

I'm also amused by the specific exceptions.  I wonder if somebody tried to use "rhyme" as a traditional clue (as opposed to trying to indicate to your partner to "rhyme" another clue) whether they would let it go.  And of course the "no hyphens" rule was clearly if geekily imposed correctly in the first series when one player could use "Superman" as a clue, but another could not use "Spider-Man".  Many found that inconsistent, but it was consistent with their rules, and that's what counts.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 02:22:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'202267\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 02:15 PM\']I wonder if somebody tried to use "rhyme" as a traditional clue (as opposed to trying to indicate to your partner to "rhyme" another clue) whether they would let it go. [/quote]
Depends.  If the password was "reason" and the giver said "logic" and "rhyme" with optional inflection that there would be no problem because the context is there.  Now if you said "season" and "rhyme" with no inflection, then we have a 20-minute stopdown.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:23:52 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 02:35:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'202268\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 02:22 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'202267\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 02:15 PM\']I wonder if somebody tried to use "rhyme" as a traditional clue (as opposed to trying to indicate to your partner to "rhyme" another clue) whether they would let it go. [/quote]Depends.  If the password was "reason" and the giver said "logic" and "rhyme" with optional inflection that there would be no problem because the context is there.  Now if you said "season" and "rhyme" with no inflection, then we have a 20-minute stopdown.[/quote]
Actually, I hadn't read the Buzzer entry and was just basing my question off your paraphrasing.  Now that I've gone and read it, they seem pretty clear.  You could use 'rhyme' as a traditional clue, but you can't use any form of the word 'rhyme' to indicate that a rhyming clue is being or has been used.  It says nothing about inflection, so your "season" and "rhyme" situation is an immediate buzz.  Your intent (or lack thereof) is irrelevant to the fact that you clearly violated that rule.

Fedya

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:24:39 PM »
I found interesting that in terms of well-known words not actually in the dictionary, they selected "bootylicious".  I'm trying to imagine somebody actually giving that clue.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

chad1m

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'202272\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 03:24 PM\'] I found interesting that in terms of well-known words not actually in the dictionary, they selected "bootylicious".  I'm trying to imagine somebody actually giving that clue. [/quote]Jack Clark: "The password is... Beyonce. *ding*"
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:31:04 PM by chad1m »

xavier45

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'202272\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 03:24 PM\']
I found interesting that in terms of well-known words not actually in the dictionary, they selected "bootylicious".  I'm trying to imagine somebody actually giving that clue.
[/quote]
I'm still trying to get the picture of Bill Cullen saying "Bootylicious".

jmangin

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 03:45:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'202272\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 03:24 PM\']
..."bootylicious".  I'm trying to imagine somebody actually giving that clue.
[/quote]
If it were the password, you could give the clue "callipygian"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'202275\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 03:45 PM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'202272\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 03:24 PM\']..."bootylicious".  I'm trying to imagine somebody actually giving that clue.[/quote]If it were the password, you could give the clue "callipygian"[/quote]
Thank you, Felix.

davemackey

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 04:31:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'202277\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 04:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'202275\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 03:45 PM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'202272\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 03:24 PM\']..."bootylicious".  I'm trying to imagine somebody actually giving that clue.[/quote]If it were the password, you could give the clue "callipygian"[/quote]
Thank you, Felix.
[/quote]
1971: Aristophanes is ridiculous.
2008: Callipygian is bootylicious.

Not a match, the board goes back.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »
I don't think Jacob is ready for this jelly.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 05:20:11 PM »
Couldn't the no-singing rule also be a way of avoiding clearance and royalties (although I thought that you had 7 fair use bars of the song before ASCAP and BMI wanted money--and a "Password" clue would not be 8 bars or more).