Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WWTBAM: Ask the Expert Lifeline  (Read 2305 times)

Ian Wallis

WWTBAM: Ask the Expert Lifeline
« on: November 24, 2008, 06:02:17 PM »
I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on the Ask the Expert lifeline this season on WWTBAM?

Personally, I'm wondering if eventually they should just scrap the whole lifeline.  While some of the "experts" with wide knowledge bases (Ken Jennings, for example) are usually very helpful, there have been quite a number who have simply said "I don't know" for several of the questions they were asked.  I'm not saying being an "expert" is easy, because you never know what you're going to be asked, but some of the people they're putting in there really shouldn't be there (IMO).

Alan Thicke seems like a nice guy, but unless you're asking him about TV themes, is he really an "expert" on a wide range of topics?  What about that lady from CNN who I believe didn't answer a question right the whole week (or maybe 3 days) she was on?

I know that people like Ken Jennings or Bill Nye wouldn't be available for every episode, but how do they pick these people?  Sometimes I just think they're picking well-known or semi-well known celebrities who aren't really experts on very much.

Any opinions?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:03:10 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 06:06:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'202293\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 03:02 PM\']I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on the Ask the Expert lifeline this season on WWTBAM?[/quote]Just like any tool, there is a time and a place to Ask the Expert. Unfortunately, when you couple "experts" from Entertainment Weekly with contestants who deploy the lifeline on a history question, it's going to be -ariffic with fail.

I don't think it was the intent of the producers to have ATE be a replacement of Three Wise Men, so it shouldn't be judged accordingly. At the same time, the batting average for this particular lifeline rates roughly on par with the "ask the internet" half back when AOL got their logo attached to the Audience Poll.
Travis L. Eberle

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'202293\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 06:02 PM\']
Alan Thicke seems like a nice guy, but unless you're asking him about TV themes, is he really an "expert" on a wide range of topics?  
[/quote]

If you'd seen last Wednesday's episode, you'd know he's not much of an expert on that subject, either.

As far as the ATE goes, it's generally been bad.  Usually the PAF doesn't help, but at least PAF's usually don't commit to an answer in 30 seconds or freely admits they don't know.  Far too often the ATE players are instead saying "I'm not sure what the answer is, but I'm pretty sure it's not (insert correct answer here)."
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:19:11 PM by WilliamPorygon »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:14:47 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'202294\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 03:06 PM\']
Just like any tool[/quote]
Herein lies the problem...from the sounds of it, this is exactly what they're getting for Experts. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:28:46 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'202296\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 03:14 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'202294\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 03:06 PM\']Just like any tool[/quote]Herein lies the problem...from the sounds of it, this is exactly what they're getting for Experts. :)[/quote]No foolin'. My bet is that they're getting enough money from the Skype plugs that they don't care about who would be worthwhile lifelines. :)
Travis L. Eberle

goongas

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:05:05 PM »
It is better than Switch the Question.  If they just had previous big winners instead of having pseudo-celebrities that are not experts in anything in order to make themselves seem cool/relevant, it would be much better.   I was shocked that a TV star from the 80s who is also a theme song writer did not recognize one of the more recognizable themes of the 80s.