Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Poll (?)  (Read 19607 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2008, 11:43:22 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'204882\' date=\'Dec 27 2008, 06:18 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'204878\' date=\'Dec 27 2008, 05:56 PM\']OK, let's suppose we cut an act (consisting of a One Bid and a stage game) and drop one SS. That gives us about 8:00 - 9:00. What do we do with all that extra time? Extree-funny showcases? Let players take 10 minutes playing Ten Chances? Have Drew do a monologue?[/quote]Holy Jeezum crow. Eight minutes? Dang.[/quote]
Well, that's why this question has to be asked.

Figure each segment runs 4 to 6 minutes.

But if you spread out eight minutes over the remaining seven acts, it allows for one minute or so in each other act, which means you no longer have to barnstorm through games that deserve a little more time, and also not having to say "You win your showcase! G'bye!"

It might give them some relief in editing (shortening segments), but OTOH the segments would drag.

[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'204886\' date=\'Dec 27 2008, 06:45 PM\']
Has anyone ever considered reducing the number of bidders in Contestant's Row from four to three? That's probably a good two minutes or so trimmed off the show while not hacking the show to pieces.[/quote]
Not a bad idea.

Unrealtor

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2008, 04:47:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'204886\' date=\'Dec 27 2008, 08:45 PM\']
Has anyone ever considered reducing the number of bidders in Contestant's Row from four to three? That's probably a good two minutes or so trimmed off the show while not hacking the show to pieces.
[/quote]

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. It would be a less severe format change than some of the other ones being proposed.

I also like the thought of a heavier hand in editing. You could pretty easily cut out Drew asking Rich who the next contestant is and the contestants staring into the audience, asking what the other bids are, etc. during the one-bid, down to just four numbers followed by "the actual retail price is..." It wouldn't add up to more than a minute or so per show, but that might be enough to keep the rest from being too rushed.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

TimK2003

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2008, 05:58:12 PM »
What about taking a page from the Doug Davidson playbook and skip CR & the IUFB altogether?

If you are called, you play the next pricing game. (This is the only thing I would take from the DD playbook)

You can still have 6 players
You can still keep the Showcase Showdown intact
You still have the two Showcases.  
You could probably reduce/retire most of the quickie games.
And CBS could elect to take out more time for Wilford and his pals down the road and you still wouldn't have to rush!

tpirfan28

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2008, 06:39:56 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'204953\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 05:58 PM\']
What about taking a page from the Doug Davidson playbook and skip CR & the IUFB altogether?

If you are called, you play the next pricing game. (This is the only thing I would take from the DD playbook)[/quote]
Bah, then the probability of a fratboy moron slipping through are way too high.  And yes, before we go piling on the CC's sometimes ineptness to weed them out, they could act really normal then be the jerk when the cameras roll.

Three in the Row does sound like a good idea.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2008, 07:46:49 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'204953\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 02:58 PM\']What about taking a page from the Doug Davidson playbook and skip CR & the IUFB altogether?[/quote]And in so doing you remove one of the iconic elements of the show that most people recognize.

I don't particularly enjoy that portion of the game. I think the strategy that exists was discovered fairly early on, and that there's no skill in being fourth and cutting off the third guy by going one dollar over, or by bidding "$1, Drew."

But at the same time, there are parts of the show that are so etched in the public consciousness that you couldn't remove them without upsetting the apple cart.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2008, 07:51:17 PM »
If they eliminated CR, they'd have to say "C'mon UP." I prefer earning your way on stage.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008, 08:54:55 PM »
Take away CR and you take away the title of the show. Plain and simple.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

CarShark

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2008, 09:58:29 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'204970\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 08:54 PM\']
Take away CR and you take away the title of the show. Plain and simple.
[/quote]Eh. I think The Row has become so played out it's not worth the time. I think the games themselves are more visible now, and deserve more time.

As for the Showcases, I dare say that Chris and anyone complaining about them hasn't been watching the show the past couple weeks. They've been OK to great recently. I'd say about a half-step up from what we were getting the last couple years Barker was at the helm. I wouldn't mind cutting one out, because usually one is an unthemed Showcase with a room of furniture at the beginning, a trip, spa or piano at the end with something smaller in between. If it comes first, it's an InstaPass for the Top Winner, and it doesn't generate much more excitement if it's second.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 10:06:01 PM by CarShark »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2008, 10:02:58 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'204975\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 06:58 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'204970\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 08:54 PM\']Take away CR and you take away the title of the show. Plain and simple.[/quote]Eh. I think The Row has become so played out it's not worth the time. I think the games themselves are more visible now, and deserve more time.[/quote]Really? That's not what I see when I get there. People are jazzed just to show up and get just one chance to play. I think you overestimate how visible The Row is.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2008, 10:08:24 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'204976\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 11:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'204975\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 06:58 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'204970\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 08:54 PM\']Take away CR and you take away the title of the show. Plain and simple.[/quote]Eh. I think The Row has become so played out it's not worth the time. I think the games themselves are more visible now, and deserve more time.[/quote]Really? That's not what I see when I get there. People are jazzed just to show up and get just one chance to play. I think you overestimate how visible The Row is.
[/quote]

By knocking out Contestant's Row, you knock out the "stoner bids"...Outside of Clock Game, it will be hard for someone to bid $420..  :-)

DREW:  The Clock will start with your first bid, Go.

CHEECH: $420

DREW: Higher!

CHEECH:  $420

DREW:  HIGHER!!!

CHEECH:  Man, this must be good stuff if I'm gettin even higher.  MORE $420, Drew.

/Dave's Not Here!!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 10:11:52 PM by TimK2003 »

CarShark

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2008, 10:35:09 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'204976\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 10:02 PM\']]Really? That's not what I see when I get there. People are jazzed just to show up and get just one chance to play. I think you overestimate how visible The Row is.[/quote]I know what you meant there. Maybe I am. If I had my choice, I'd kick out two games and one Showdown. At least two of the games are non-entities like Double Prices or One Right Price, simply there to fill out a roster. The last month or so worth of line-ups have been filled with them. IMO, the show's going to have only two types of games: major prize games (for cars, cash) and quick games. If a game doesn't fit into either category, like Shell Game or Credit Card, they won't be featured. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they got retired.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2008, 10:52:50 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'204979\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 07:35 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'204976\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 10:02 PM\']]Really? That's not what I see when I get there. People are jazzed just to show up and get just one chance to play. I think you overestimate how visible The Row is.[/quote]I know what you meant there. Maybe I am. If I had my choice, I'd kick out two games and one Showdown. At least two of the games are non-entities like Double Prices or One Right Price, simply there to fill out a roster.[/quote] No, they're there because they're quick games. And for the most part, the truest tests of pricing skill in the whole show, even if most of them are variations on a mechanic that differ only on the type of chrome that's slathered on the prop.

I don't want to see three of these one decision games on the show, but I understand why they exist. They existed all the way from the beginning of the show.
Travis L. Eberle

CarShark

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2008, 12:16:47 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'204980\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 10:52 PM\']No, they're there because they're quick games. And for the most part, the truest tests of pricing skill in the whole show, even if most of them are variations on a mechanic that differ only on the type of chrome that's slathered on the prop.[/quote]Perhaps so, but I don't see them as being a big audience draw. If the show dropped them when going to four games instead of six, would they really be worse off? I don't think so.

I don't want to see three of these one decision games on the show, but I understand why they exist. They existed all the way from the beginning of the show.
Just because something existed 30 years ago doesn't mean it should still exist now. They still serve the purpose of being quick (which is what I said, albeit differently), but if the show doesn't need quick games then why keep them?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2008, 12:25:58 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'204988\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 09:16 PM\']Perhaps so, but I don't see them as being a big audience draw. If the show dropped them when going to four games instead of six, would they really be worse off? I don't think so.[/quote]Wait a minute, don't change the subject here. The point at hand was why the "quick games" exist. Whether they're audience draws or not is immaterial to our discussion at this point.

(Now, I wasn't clear about when you said "roster," whether they were taking up one space in a grid of one hundred or so games that are there, or one out of the six games that can be played each day. I assumed you meant that the presence of quick games precludes the existence of other games that can co-exist on the Master Plan.)

Just because something existed 30 years ago doesn't mean it should still exist now.
Have you ever read Logan's Run?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 12:29:58 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2008, 01:41:48 AM »
Don't change a thing except add 20 minutes of commercials and 10 mins of gameplay and call it the fabulous 90-minute Price Is Right.  Mollify affiliates by dropping the 8:30 half-hour of the CBS Morning Show.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 01:45:51 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.