Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid Origins  (Read 4363 times)

The Pyramids

Pyramid Origins
« on: December 27, 2008, 06:36:28 PM »
Are there any anecdotes, details, stories etc about the development of the '10,000 Pyramid'? I don't think I've ever seen anything discussed about its development.

gsgalaxy82

Pyramid Origins
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 07:05:57 PM »
I know this story has been told to death, but the poster may not know the story. The Winner's Circle I've heard was supposed to have 10 subjects instead of 6. Talk about an impossible bonus game, lol. Thankfully they got the hint and put a big thing of plywood covering the bottom part of the Pyramid.
Although not related to the development per se, early on, episodes did seem to straddle. I've seen one where the episode started in the MIDDLE of a game.

Jimmy Owen

Pyramid Origins
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 07:43:35 PM »
Not really about the development, but TV Guide had a blurb on page A-1 in the March 3, 1973 issue about Y&R, Pyramid and Hollywood's Talking joining the CBS lineup March 23. In it Richard K. Doan noted "Curiously, CBS failed to identify a single performer for any of the shows, giving rise to the suspicion that the new entries were hastily mounted."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Pyramid Origins
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 07:58:30 PM »
Everything I've read says that Bob Stewart originated the "Pyramid" idea with an unsold project called "Cash on the Line". IIRC, the endgame became the "Pyramid" main game.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Adam Nedeff

Pyramid Origins
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 10:00:18 PM »
It's a YouTube clip, but I think it's a fitting reply for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmHNq_iUyEM
Bob Stewart starts talking about the development of Pyramid at 17:45. And if you have a day to call, I actually recommend the whole thing. It's a great interview.

EDIT MADE: That's the correct link now.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 11:59:45 PM by Adam Nedeff »

TheLastResort

Pyramid Origins
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 10:44:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'204887\' date=\'Dec 27 2008, 10:00 PM\']
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwDV7hw7quA
Bob Stewart starts talking about the development of Pyramid at 17:45.[/quote]

Wow, I didn't know Bob Stewart was in the WWF!!

gsgalaxy82

Pyramid Origins
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 10:45:51 PM »
Bob Stewart starts talking about the development of Pyramid at 17:45. And if you have a day to call, I actually recommend the whole thing. It's a great interview.
[/quote]

Huh....I didn't know Bob Stewart was a WWF guy.
:)

dale_grass

Pyramid Origins
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 11:31:58 PM »
[/quote]
Y'know, Badnewsbrownrolled doesn't have the same ring to it.

Adam Nedeff

Pyramid Origins
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 11:59:17 PM »
Y'know, Badnewsbrownrolled doesn't have the same ring to it.
Huh....I didn't know Bob Stewart was a WWF guy.
:)
Wow, I didn't know Bob Stewart was in the WWF!!
Aww, crap!...Well, it's the weekend, and for those of you who might be snowed in and unable to get to church, I figured The Brother Love Show might be close enough.

For those of you who wanted the Bob Stewart interview, the correct link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmHNq_iUyEM. Again, 17:45 is when talk of Pyramid starts.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pyramid Origins
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 01:19:15 AM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' post=\'204872\' date=\'Dec 27 2008, 04:05 PM\']I know this story has been told to death, but the poster may not know the story. The Winner's Circle I've heard was supposed to have 10 subjects instead of 6. Talk about an impossible bonus game, lol. Thankfully they got the hint and put a big thing of plywood covering the bottom part of the Pyramid. Although not related to the development per se, early on, episodes did seem to straddle. I've seen one where the episode started in the MIDDLE of a game.
[/quote]What I had heard was that the original original Winner's Circle was the front game; describing ten items that belonged to a single category in sixty seconds. It was only after the change was made to having the guesser determine the subjects that the ten-in-sixty became impossible.
Travis L. Eberle

mmb5

Pyramid Origins
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 08:50:23 AM »
And this is some ex-rectum speculation here, and I've only had "your probably right" rather than actual confirmation.  The end-game to Cash on the Line may have been very similar to what the end game to Pass the Buck was, but at a much larger scale -- eight rows instead of four.  Again, I repeat, I could be absolutely freaking wrong on this.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.