Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The old G-T offices in New York  (Read 3040 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
The old G-T offices in New York
« on: December 28, 2008, 01:54:50 AM »
Can anyone provide me with the address of the building which housed Goodson-Todman's offices for so many  years?

I'm going to the city in about a week, and I'd like to just see the building.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

davemackey

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 07:54:26 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'204911\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 01:54 AM\']
Can anyone provide me with the address of the building which housed Goodson-Todman's offices for so many  years?

I'm going to the city in about a week, and I'd like to just see the building.
[/quote]
375 Park Avenue. It's the Seagram's building.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:07:03 AM »
The Seagram Building, 375 Park Avenue between 52nd and 53rd streets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seagram_Building

You must also check out the former CBS studio 52, home to all manner of live game shows in the '60s. It is at 254 W 54th street, around the corner from the Sullivan theater (studio 50). There is also the Brooks Atkinson theater at 256 W 47th street. From 1950 to 1960 it was CBS studio 59 and home to live game shows during that decade.

bricon

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 02:36:33 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'204921\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 08:07 AM\']

...There is also the Brooks Atkinson theater at 256 W 47th street. From 1950 to 1960 it was CBS studio 59 and home to live game shows during that decade.
[/quote]

And across the street from the Brooks Atkinson, is the former Biltmore Theatre, once known as CBS Studio 62 and home to game shows as well.  It is now known as the Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, and is part of the Manhattan Theatre Club.  An interesting story from a fellow who went to a broadcast of Dotto in that theater can be found on this page.

Also, you can generally peek and/or wander into the old Hudson Theatre , at 145 West 44th Street, now part of the Millenium Broadway Hotel.  The original "Price Is Right" was done in this tiny theater, as well as Steve Allen's version of "Tonight".

Lost Broadway Theatres is a wonderful guide to these and many other old theatres in New York.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 09:10:04 PM »
Brian, how much detail does that book go into concerning television? Does it go into much detail or gloss over its existence?

bricon

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 12:09:11 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'204972\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 09:10 PM\']
Brian, how much detail does that book go into concerning television? Does it go into much detail or gloss over its existence?
[/quote]

The book mentions when a theatre became a TV or radio studio, and occasionally will give a couple of shows originating from said theatre.  

There is a photo of the Elysee in 1975 with the "Pyramid" marquee, and the floor plans of the Gallo Opera House (CBS 52 / Studio 54 disco) are the CBS floor plans (indicating control booth and camera areas).

I wouldn't say it goes into huge detail broadcast-wise, but to me that didn't make the book any less desirable.

As an aside, some years back when taping a show in New York, I had lunch with the author of the book.  During our walk, we went past the Brooks Atkinson as they were loading a play into the theatre, and were able to sneak into the stage door.  It was neat to hear the history of the place from him as we stood there.

geno57

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 03:24:48 AM »
I wonder if G-T might also have occupied what later became the offices of MAD Magazine?  Because I've seen late-50s and early-60s ticket plugs asking viewers to write for tickets, to 495 MADison Avenue ...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 06:53:27 AM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'204994\' date=\'Dec 29 2008, 12:24 AM\']
I wonder if G-T might also have occupied what later became the offices of MAD Magazine?  Because I've seen late-50s and early-60s ticket plugs asking viewers to write for tickets, to 495 MADison Avenue ...[/quote]
No, that was CBS headquarters -- 485 Madison Avenue, before they moved to "Black Rock" at 51 W 52nd St. G-T may have had offices in there in the very early days, if ever.

I found myself ruminating about the brief time Studio 52 was home to Love of Life in the mid '70s. It was a color show but I wonder if CBS ever undertook a full color conversion of 52. One thing they could have done was to park a color remote truck outside the theater and use it as a control room. Another thing they could have done was to run camera cables into the Sullivan Theater and direct the show from the Sullivan booth. That would have made Studio 50 unusable for a few hours each day.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:55:09 AM by chris319 »