Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN pledged to "Newlywed Game" revival  (Read 7732 times)

TimK2003

GSN pledged to "Newlywed Game" revival
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 08:14:35 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'206313\' date=\'Jan 15 2009, 11:31 AM\']
Then how do they address the problem of the same skit being chosen twice in a show?[/quote]

I would assume you'd switch out the duplicate box's contents with something new.  Much like what would happen if the big check is won in round one -- choose another box for round two, replace props with new $25K check. I would also hazard a guess that a klunk would replace another klunk and a good prize or $25K check would replace another good prize.  

I thought I had remembered Geoff Edwards telling us at GSC8 over the phone that between rounds and/or shows, there would be a curtain that would come down blocking the audience's view of the boxes so they can make any necessary switches...Much like on TPiR when they bring down one of the many overhead signs/screens/etc.. to prevent the audience from seeing what game/prizes they are rolling out next.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:25:16 PM by Matt Ottinger »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 10:15:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'206304\' date=\'Jan 15 2009, 10:02 AM\']only, say, half a dozen prize packages, as long as S&P knew about it, would it matter that the audience is being led to believe that there was something different in every box?[/quote]Were we ever told that there were however many different prize packages?

I don't know how spacious the backstage area was for Treasure Hunt, but I don't know how they'd fit fourteen different prizes there, knowing that at most two of them might get pulled out for display. It would make sense to say that a couple of boxes would have the luxury car, a handful would have a spiffy trip, and the rest of the "good ones" would have the roomful of furniture, rather than charting out each different prize package.
Travis L. Eberle

davemackey

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 11:07:48 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'206310\' date=\'Jan 15 2009, 01:53 PM\']
Whatever you do, stay away from boxes 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42.
[/quote]
That's Numberwang!

BillCullen1

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 12:17:22 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'206383\' date=\'Jan 15 2009, 10:15 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'206304\' date=\'Jan 15 2009, 10:02 AM\']only, say, half a dozen prize packages, as long as S&P knew about it, would it matter that the audience is being led to believe that there was something different in every box?[/quote]Were we ever told that there were however many different prize packages?

I don't know how spacious the backstage area was for Treasure Hunt, but I don't know how they'd fit fourteen different prizes there, knowing that at most two of them might get pulled out for display. It would make sense to say that a couple of boxes would have the luxury car, a handful would have a spiffy trip, and the rest of the "good ones" would have the roomful of furniture, rather than charting out each different prize package.
[/quote]

I never went to a taping of Treasure Hunt, but is it possible that when they showed the contestant the "possible prizes she could win," those were taped in advance? I know at the '78 version of High Rollers, which I did see in person, all the prizes were recorded in advance. The actual game play and the "big numbers" round were done live to tape.

IIRC, I heard Geoff say in a phone interview that that 70s TH had a "different skit for each box." Don't know about the 80s version. He said he had to memorize all the skits, since they couldn't use cue cards because that would tip off the contestant.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:22:19 PM by BillCullen1 »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 12:22:21 PM »
I never went to a taping of Treasure Hunt, but is it possible that when they showed the contestant the "possible prizes she could win," those were taped in advance?

If they were taped in advance they were taped with the contestant there.  Some of the shots they used showed Geoff, the contestant and the possible prizes in the same shot.  Also, some of the possible prizes involved contestant interaction - like when they'd bring a fur coat close so she could even touch in on occasion.

I think they pre-loaded the three possible prizes behind each curtain, and if the contestant picked one of those boxes they were all set.  During the tape stopdown while Geoff was briefed, then they'd roll in the new prize behind one of the curtains.  There still likely could have been fewer than 30 (or 66) though.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:23:15 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Neumms

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 11:30:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'206429\' date=\'Jan 16 2009, 12:22 PM\']
I think they pre-loaded the three possible prizes behind each curtain, and if the contestant picked one of those boxes they were all set.  During the tape stopdown while Geoff was briefed, then they'd roll in the new prize behind one of the curtains.  There still likely could have been fewer than 30 (or 66) though.
[/quote]

I'm going off 30-year-old memories here, but it seems to me contestants would rarely win one of the previewed prizes, that usually they won a different car or something not shown. Does this gibe with others' impressions? I recall wondering for the longest time what the "added surprises" that came with cars would be. (It was motor oil or Ram golf clubs, right?)

Don Howard

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 03:32:17 PM »
Carnie Wilson will host.