Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old Favorites vs. New  (Read 2522 times)

IFeelMillionaire

Old Favorites vs. New
« on: March 30, 2009, 05:45:01 PM »
Just wondering if people on the whole prefer newer shows, like Millionaire and Deal, or if they prefer the oldies but goodies like Jeopardy, Concentration, Joker's Wild, etc? I know some have been around to be considered oldies...

geno57

Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 02:24:55 AM »
Oldies, definitely.  Wish someone would come up with a vault full of old NBC "Concentration", "Match Game", and "You Don't Say" episodes.

Craig Karlberg

Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:16:55 AM »
Call me a traditionalist here.  More into the classics from the 70's & 80's though I'm kinda partial to Millionaire.  Even 1 Vs. 100 wasn't all that bad untill they decided to muck it up & mess with the format.  Still, the classics will always be etched in my memories untill the day I die.

BrandonFG

Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 08:15:07 AM »
Oldies...different look and feel. Everything nowadays seems so cold and sterile (How's that for an adjective?!), and every show looks the same. I look at GSN reruns and stuff on Youtube, and the shows were somewhat stereotypical, but fun to watch because they didn't take themselves too seriously.

Not to say that there aren't any good shows on now, but the feeling is just not there.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

joker316

Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 03:36:27 PM »
Personally, I feel the newer shows are too "gimmicky" and the novelty wears off after awhile or when someone wins the big prize.

I'm an "old school" game show fan at heart and love watching the classics be it on dvd, GSN or youtube. And I also wish the networks would open up the vaults for Concentration, YDS!, TJW, etc.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:37:12 PM by joker316 »
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

geno57

Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'211578\' date=\'Mar 31 2009, 07:15 AM\']
Oldies...different look and feel. Everything nowadays seems so cold and sterile (How's that for an adjective?!), and every show looks the same. I look at GSN reruns and stuff on Youtube, and the shows were somewhat stereotypical, but fun to watch because they didn't take themselves too seriously.

Not to say that there aren't any good shows on now, but the feeling is just not there.
[/quote]

I think I've mentioned this before -- The old sets, with sliding panel reveals ... rotating trilons ... flippy boxes ... etc etc ... had a distinct charm that no computer monitor can match.

"Classic Concentration", for example, bugged me because ... on a full-set shot ... the board, which is the very focus of the entire game, was nowhere to be seen.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 04:06:54 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'211615\' date=\'Mar 31 2009, 12:48 PM\']
"Classic Concentration", for example, bugged me because ... on a full-set shot ... the board, which is the very focus of the entire game, was nowhere to be seen.[/quote]
I concur fully. But I don't think that means the board *necessarily* needs to be mechanized. Video wall, giant screen, whatever...there are ways to keep the board computerized (and therefore infinitely more durable and easy to set up) while still making it a strong part of the set. Moreso than ever today.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 05:38:29 PM »
I think I've mentioned this before -- The old sets, with sliding panel reveals ... rotating trilons ... flippy boxes ... etc etc ... had a distinct charm that no computer monitor can match.

"Classic Concentration", for example, bugged me because ... on a full-set shot ... the board, which is the very focus of the entire game, was nowhere to be seen.

Agreed.  I much prefer the "classics" ('70s era) than what's on today.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »
Traditionalist because I grew up with the 80's and 90's game shows; and was later introduced to 60's and 70's shows right around the time I was exposed to GSN (10 years in August). I do have a feel for some of the newer shows (Millionaire for example), but they just don't appeal to me however.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:21:55 PM by Strikerz04 »

TimK2003

Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »
Count me in with the shows from the 60s & 70s:

-- Tougher Questions
 -- Faster Paced
 -- Less over-gratuitous audience shots
 -- Games that involved 50% knowledge & 50% strategy, not 50% knowledge and 50% dumb luck!
 -- Announcers
 -- Chintzy Parting Gifts
 -- Bright(er) Sets
 -- Kick Ass Music Theme Packages
 -- Less Commercials

Did I miss anything?  :)

chad1m

Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 10:02:14 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'211664\' date=\'Mar 31 2009, 10:01 PM\']Count me in with the shows from the 60s & 70s:
-- Tougher Questions
 -- Games that involved 50% knowledge & 50% strategy, not 50% knowledge and 50% dumb luck![/quote]Barry & Enright would've liked to have had a word with you. ;)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 10:10:45 PM »
[quote name=\'IFeelMillionaire\' post=\'211535\' date=\'Mar 30 2009, 02:45 PM\']Just wondering if people on the whole prefer newer shows, like Millionaire and Deal, or if they prefer the oldies but goodies like Jeopardy, Concentration, Joker's Wild, etc? I know some have been around to be considered oldies...[/quote]I prefer game shows that have interesting games and decisions to be made, competent production staffs, hosts who know how to ply their craft and generally a good product. I don't discriminate on the Roman numerals at the end of the credit roll.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 10:45:48 PM »
The common trait among modern game shows is a Q&A quiz component, which gives them all a certain sameness. There are so many shows asking "Who killed Abe Lincoln?" in so many different ways. I'm partial to games which don't involve Q&A questions but instead ask players to convey a word or guess an occupation or solve a rebus or ferret out the two impostors or match the answers given by others.

A while back I viewed the clip of You Don't Say! from the '60s that was on line, with Pat Carroll and Mel Torme. They were taking the game seriously but were also having fun, as was Rex Khoury and his ensemble. I was never a huge fan of YDS! but I found it quite refreshing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:46:06 PM by chris319 »

Don Howard

Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'211665\' date=\'Mar 31 2009, 10:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'211664\' date=\'Mar 31 2009, 10:01 PM\']
 -- Games that involved 50% knowledge & 50% strategy, not 50% knowledge and 50% dumb luck![/quote]Barry & Enright would've liked to have had a word with you. ;)
[/quote]
Yes. Those involved 50% memorization and 50% lack of ethics.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 01:15:59 PM by Don Howard »

IFeelMillionaire

Old Favorites vs. New
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 06:22:14 PM »
Oldies it is!

I'm trying to find some Facebook pages for the newer ones. I think the older ones need them too, to harvest old screen grabs, clips, etc.

Here's one for Millionaire:

Who-Wants-to-Be-a-Millionaire