Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Homemade Wheel of Fortune Puzzleboard  (Read 4525 times)

pds319

Homemade Wheel of Fortune Puzzleboard
« on: April 09, 2009, 03:27:53 AM »
Hey guys. I'm back again with another homemade prop. This time it's a reconstruction of sorts. I made a puzzleboard to go along with my Wheel of Fortune (gone, but building a new one in the near-future) awhile ago. After two years, it was falling apart and needed a makeover.

Foamboard, though light and easy to manage, isn't too sturdy and doesn't stand the test of time. Plywood, on the other hand, is a little tougher, but now the board weighs in over 100 lbs. Hopefully the extra weight will payoff later.

Well, I need a little help finding the font they use on the show for the current puzzleboard. I'm almost positive it's a custom font, but I can't seem to find it anywhere (not on free sites, at least). Any suggestions? I may just make the letters in Illustrator if it can't be found.

Here are pics and a video slideshow of the construction.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Paul

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 03:37:14 AM »
Have you ever considered going into business for yourself, if you haven't already done so?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

RyanCDN

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:58:50 AM »
I don't know about suggestions, but that is some great work!

-Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:44:03 PM »
I believe the puzzleboard font is Helvetica Condensed, or a variation of.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:47:16 PM »
[quote name=\'pds319\' post=\'212519\' date=\'Apr 9 2009, 03:27 AM\']
Well, I need a little help finding the font they use on the show for the current puzzleboard. I'm almost positive it's a custom font, but I can't seem to find it anywhere (not on free sites, at least). Any suggestions? I may just make the letters in Illustrator if it can't be found.[/quote]
You've probably already tried this, but I've found What the Font can sometimes nail down font ID's.  Granted, it probably won't be a free font, but it might set you in the right direction...
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

DJDustman

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 04:22:16 PM »
[quote name=\'pds319\' post=\'212519\' date=\'Apr 9 2009, 03:27 AM\']
You've probably already tried this, but I've found What the Font can sometimes nail down font ID's.  Granted, it probably won't be a free font, but it might set you in the right direction...
[/quote]

I love the bottom line after finding your font. "If you have technical questions about using WTF, please contact us....."

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »
You sir, are one talented man. GREAT job.

pds319

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 12:57:21 AM »
Thanks guys and especially to Dan for the help. I've gone ahead and made new tiles with a variation on Helvetica Neue.

Pics: 1 2

-Paul