Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game 85  (Read 39613 times)

Fan4Sure

Match Game 85
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2009, 01:58:53 PM »
Secrets and Rumors hosted by Harvey Korman? I didn't know that. Has anyone tried to look up more info. then it came up empty-hnaded?

TroubadourNando

Match Game 85
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2009, 08:05:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Fan4Sure\' post=\'209734\' date=\'Mar 7 2009, 01:58 PM\']
Secrets and Rumors hosted by Harvey Korman? I didn't know that. Has anyone tried to look up more info. then it came up empty-hnaded?
[/quote]

I'd like to know more, too. Delving the (sometimes hellish) pit of unsold pilots can really be entertaining.

snowpeck

Match Game 85
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2009, 02:47:38 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'209089\' date=\'Feb 28 2009, 02:14 PM\']

I also saw a trade ad for 130 episodes of Press Your Luck.  There was no indication whether those were new episodes or just reruns.

--Mike
[/quote]

They were repeats, packaged by Republic Pictures.  Not sure if any locals bought in, but it was that 130 episode package that ended up on USA Network that year. (They leased more later.)

Greg
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:01:56 AM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

tyshaun1

Match Game 85
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2009, 09:29:55 AM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'209858\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 02:47 AM\']
They were repeats, packaged by Republic Pictures.  Not sure if any locals bought in, but it was that 130 episode package that ended up on USA Network that year. (They leased more later.)

Greg
[/quote]
Supposedly if the reruns found an audience, Carruthers planned to bring the show back in syndication.

Tyshaun

tvwxman

Match Game 85
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2009, 10:45:32 AM »

I also saw a trade ad for 130 episodes of Press Your Luck.  There was no indication whether those were new episodes or just reruns.

--Mike
[/quote]

Greg
[/quote]
WSVN in Miami bought em.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

rugrats1

Match Game 85
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'209211\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 12:05 PM\']
[DeBartolo] said that MG '73 was on the verge of cancellation when he asked Goodson if he could toss in some comedy questions.  Goodson said do whatever you want - the show is gone in a few weeks anyway.
[/quote]

I though that was the case for the 60s "Match Game", according to his "Good Days and MAD" bio.

Ian Wallis

Match Game 85
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2009, 05:42:59 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'209874\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 10:45 AM\']

--Mike
[/quote]

Greg
[/quote]
WSVN in Miami bought em.
[/quote]

So did stations in Rochester NY, Pittsburgh and Toronto.  Don't know of any others.  Seems hard to believe only 4 stations would pick it up though.  I guess they eventually found that 8 years of reruns on USA were more cost effective than making new ones.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

chrispw1

Match Game 85
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2009, 06:15:37 PM »
Who would have hosted the Gambit revival in 1987 since Wink was picked for High Rollers, or would it have likely been picked up instead of High Rollers, thus making Wink available?

tvwxman

Match Game 85
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2009, 06:50:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'209942\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 05:42 PM\']
So did stations in Rochester NY, Pittsburgh and Toronto.  Don't know of any others.  Seems hard to believe only 4 stations would pick it up though.  I guess they eventually found that 8 years of reruns on USA were more cost effective than making new ones.
[/quote]
Well, I'm guessing, in Miami's case, part of the allure was the fact that they had not run on the CBS affil there. So, a cheap rerun package was in fact a first-run show in South Florida.
-------------

Matt

steveleb

Match Game 85
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2009, 07:12:53 AM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'209755\' date=\'Mar 7 2009, 06:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'Fan4Sure\' post=\'209734\' date=\'Mar 7 2009, 01:58 PM\']
[/quote]

I'd like to know more, too. Delving the (sometimes hellish) pit of unsold pilots can really be entertaining.
[/quote]

I had the honor of working on the marketing of the pilot, let alone sheparding Harvey around the convention floor.  Jay Redack, of original Squares fame, co-created the show with Josh Goldstein, who has gone on to some prominence as a comedy writer and director.  As I recall, and it's been about 20 years since I've seen the pilot, it was akin to "Hollywood's Talking" with celebrity anecdotes and the running theme of what they are talking about being a "secret" or a "rumor".  As for the inevitable "do you have a copy of the pilot or know where to get it?" question, I'm sorry to say I strike out on both counts.  But as some of you have noted, it was a very congested marketplace at the time and Fox, at the time, did not have the marketplace leverage to successfully co-sell a companion piece to $100,000 PYRAMID (they had tried to sell a Dan Enright pilot called BANK-O! the year before and that project, too, was stillborn.).  PYRAMID, for all of its endurance and success as a daytime network series, was hampered by a time period restriction (it was prohibited from running prior to 4 PM ET because of fears of conflicting with the CBS run) and, frankly, a so-so track record (there were several markets, including New York, where it performed decently but in many other cities it was hampered by challenged stations and/or time periods.  So, in a nutshell, it was a business decision more than any creative weaknesses that kept this, I would surmise, a secret AND a rumor.  Hope you found that entertaining....

tvwxman

Match Game 85
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2009, 10:33:37 AM »
[quote name=\'steveleb\' post=\'209988\' date=\'Mar 10 2009, 07:12 AM\']
I had the honor of working on the marketing of the pilot, let alone sheparding Harvey around the convention floor.  Jay Redack, of original Squares fame, co-created the show with Josh Goldstein, who has gone on to some prominence as a comedy writer and director.  As I recall, and it's been about 20 years since I've seen the pilot, it was akin to "Hollywood's Talking" with celebrity anecdotes and the running theme of what they are talking about being a "secret" or a "rumor".  As for the inevitable "do you have a copy of the pilot or know where to get it?" question, I'm sorry to say I strike out on both counts.  But as some of you have noted, it was a very congested marketplace at the time and Fox, at the time, did not have the marketplace leverage to successfully co-sell a companion piece to $100,000 PYRAMID (they had tried to sell a Dan Enright pilot called BANK-O! the year before and that project, too, was stillborn.).  PYRAMID, for all of its endurance and success as a daytime network series, was hampered by a time period restriction (it was prohibited from running prior to 4 PM ET because of fears of conflicting with the CBS run) and, frankly, a so-so track record (there were several markets, including New York, where it performed decently but in many other cities it was hampered by challenged stations and/or time periods.  So, in a nutshell, it was a business decision more than any creative weaknesses that kept this, I would surmise, a secret AND a rumor.  Hope you found that entertaining....
[/quote]
Yes, but what was the top prize on the show? And were there eggcrate displays?

I'm just kidding - that was great! Thanks, Steve!
-------------

Matt

Matt Ottinger

Match Game 85
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2009, 11:10:30 AM »
[quote name=\'steveleb\' post=\'209988\' date=\'Mar 10 2009, 06:12 AM\']I had the honor of working on the marketing of the pilot, let alone sheparding Harvey around the convention floor.  [/quote]
Man, anybody else get images of My Favorite Year?

"I'm not a game show host, I'm a movie star!"
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

Match Game 85
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2009, 01:11:57 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'209883\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 11:50 AM\']
[DeBartolo] said that MG '73 was on the verge of cancellation when he asked Goodson if he could toss in some comedy questions.  Goodson said do whatever you want - the show is gone in a few weeks anyway.
[/quote]

I though that was the case for the 60s "Match Game", according to his "Good Days and MAD" bio.
[/quote]

I've long been confused by this, too. Anyone know for sure? Anyone?

Also, the '80s Gambit pilot host was Bob Eubanks, who would have to wait that tiny bit longer to realize his dream of hosting a show with gi-normous playing cards.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Match Game 85
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2009, 02:34:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'210004\' date=\'Mar 10 2009, 12:11 PM\']
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'209883\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 11:50 AM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I've long been confused by this, too. Anyone know for sure? Anyone?

Also, the '80s Gambit pilot host was Bob Eubanks, who would have to wait that tiny bit longer to realize his dream of hosting a show with gi-normous playing cards.
[/quote]

Hold it...didn't Eubanks host a Gambit pilot after he was done hosting Card Sharks, and weren't actual cards not used?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Match Game 85
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2009, 02:54:19 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'210008\' date=\'Mar 10 2009, 02:34 PM\']
Hold it...didn't Eubanks host a Gambit pilot after he was done hosting Card Sharks, and weren't actual cards not used?
[/quote]

1990, and there was a combo of actual cards and graphics. I don't know who did the 80s pilot for sure. Wiki talks about a 1985 pilot with Tom Campbell (of Camouflage), but...

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck