Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show theme sighting...  (Read 4333 times)

TenPoundHammer

Game show theme sighting...
« on: March 04, 2009, 10:26:15 PM »
Okay, we all know about GS themes being recycled on other shows. But a couple weeks ago, I was listening to a local station, which is hooked to a country music satellite feed from Jones Networks. In one segment, I heard the 1970s synthesizer Password theme in the background! I certainly wasn't expecting that.

Has anyone else ever heard a GS theme show up on the radio?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 11:37:34 PM by Matt Ottinger »

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 10:37:30 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'209546\' date=\'Mar 4 2009, 10:26 PM\']
Okay, we all know about GS themes being recycled on other shows. But a couple weeks ago, I was listening to a local station, which is hooked to a country music satellite feed from Jones Networks. In one segment, I heard the 1970s synthesizer Password theme in the background! I certainly wasn't expecting that.

Has anyone else ever heard a GS theme show up on the radio?
[/quote]
ESPN Radio used to constantly play themes from the first GSN CD, usually as music beds for news stories. I remember hearing TTD about a decade ago.

One oldies station had a promotion for a contest, and the played part of Thicke's Wheel theme.

Also, the rap/hip-hop station has a game called (wait for it) "Hip Hop Jeopardy" and used to play the 1984 J! theme...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:44:05 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

rjaguar3

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:43:10 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'209547\' date=\'Mar 4 2009, 09:37 PM\']
Also, the rap/hip-hop station has a contestant called "Hip Hop Jeopardy"...
[/quote]

Really?  :P

When I went to Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida in 2008, I could clearly hear the theme to "It's Your Move."  The fact that I knew exactly how the music went (from listening to it so many times on my computer) gave me sort of a surreal feeling.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:44:24 PM »
[quote name=\'rjaguar3\' post=\'209548\' date=\'Mar 4 2009, 10:43 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'209547\' date=\'Mar 4 2009, 09:37 PM\']
Also, the rap/hip-hop station has a contestant called "Hip Hop Jeopardy"...
[/quote]

Really?  :P
[/quote]
So many things I screwed up in that post. :-P Fixed.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 11:17:35 PM »
I remember in an old episode of "This Week in Baseball" that aired on ESPN Classic (I believe from 1982) one of the Price is Right car cues was used in its entirety during a highlight package.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

RichZ

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 12:13:03 AM »
Listening to JT the Brick on Fox Sports Radio driving home late at night, I've heard his sports flash guy Tom Looney play the Price is Right Losing Horns when announcing scores to blowout games, and other stories along those lines.

-Rick

tvrandywest

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 12:23:31 AM »
Las Vegas' KJUL-FM - K-Jewel Radio - uses the original  1950s "To Tell The Truth" theme as a bed behind the afternoon traffic reports. I sit smiling in my car, crawling in rush-hour crosstown traffic intoning "... only one of these three people is the real Benjamin Siegel, the other two are imposters and will try to fool the panel before Bugsy's shot in Virginia Hill's living room..."

Before I know it, the light has changed and we're moving again.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 01:14:21 AM »
The WGN Morning news uses the first game shows CD for listening pleasure (most notably the "The Price is Right" and Password 70's)

KISS-FM in Chicago uses "Wheel of fortune" for the "Wheel of Trash" segment on the Drex morning show as well.

\Both are guilty pleasures nonetheless.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 09:40:12 AM »
Not heard on the radio, but during a "prize wheel" giveaway at a Pittsburgh Penguins game I attended last week, the Bob Cobert Chain Reaction theme was played in the background.

Gus

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 10:00:13 AM »
Not the radio, but the 70s Password theme is used multiple times a day on The Daily Buzz as a segment theme.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 10:14:05 AM »
The radio station I listen to most often (WTSS) often plays game show themes in the background while talking about traffic, weather, or running phone-in contests.  The ones heard most often are Password (they’ve extended it from the CD) and Pyramid.  I don’t recall hearing anything from the 2nd GSN CD on the station though.  I’ve also heard the Classic Concentration theme in the background a few times.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'209571\' date=\'Mar 5 2009, 09:00 AM\']
Not the radio, but the 70s Password theme is used multiple times a day on The Daily Buzz as a segment theme.
[/quote]

I've also heard them use the Bruner WML? theme.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Don Howard

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 12:26:59 PM »
While self-serving, I believe this counts:
When backtiming into a Cavs game, I usually play a portion of the theme to Chain Reaction into the pre-game coverage through the cold local sponsor announcements. I use Split Second out of spot breaks as a pad if the entire local commercial time isn't completely covered to avoid dead air. This is especially useful during Indians games.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:27:59 PM by Don Howard »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 12:53:37 PM »
There's a sports-talk show host in Chicago named Mike Murphy who uses a lot of game show themes for bits.  Whenever he does his "Score Survey," he uses the FF music; and when he conducts a call-in game called "Match Murph," yep, the MG7x theme (he even refers to himself as Gene Rayburn with the long skinny microphone).  And he sometimes uses "Plink Plank Plunk" (punctuated with "tapping on the keyboard" sound effects) to introduce an E-mail segment.

Muprh's a polarizing figure--most people hate him because he can be rude, obnoxious and has a very annoying voice (and a lot of Sox fans hate him just because he's a Cub fan).  And while he is all those things, I think he knows his stuff and I find that in spite of those things, I agree more often with him than I disagree.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

byrd62

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 01:31:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'209571\' date=\'Mar 5 2009, 10:00 AM\']
[/quote]

Yeah, I saw it this morning; it's used for weather guy Mitch English's opinion-with-a-punchline segment, "Mitch's World", which often follows his weather report.