Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SNL: Just Game Show Parodies  (Read 6541 times)

CarShark

SNL: Just Game Show Parodies
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 02:04:31 AM »
I have to admit I was a bit surprised. I figured that for a compilation they would do the funniest skits they had access to, not just the most recent. Is this how they've done it in the past?

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 02:16:04 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'209856\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 02:04 AM\']
I have to admit I was a bit surprised. I figured that for a compilation they would do the funniest skits they had access to, not just the most recent. Is this how they've done it in the past?
[/quote]
Not at all...the one they did about 10 years ago featured stuff from the 70s (Jeopardy! 1999, Quien es Mas Macho, I *believe* Coneheads on Feud), 80s (Jackpot Wad, something with Tom Hanks w/short-term memory), and 90s (Food, Sex, or Cars, French Whore, Stand Up and Win, Celebrity J!).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 08:36:26 AM »
Jackie Rogers Jr. $100,000 Jackpot Wad.  How the hell did I forget about that one.  Classic.

But yeah, it seems like they only wanted current stuff + one Celeb J! run, then when they found it ran short, they found that Millionaire clip.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TimK2003

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 09:26:45 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'209857\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 02:16 AM\']
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'209856\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 02:04 AM\']
[/quote]
Not at all...the one they did about 10 years ago featured stuff from the 70s (Jeopardy! 1999, Quien es Mas Macho, I *believe* Coneheads on Feud), 80s (Jackpot Wad, something with Tom Hanks w/short-term memory), and 90s (Food, Sex, or Cars, French Whore, Stand Up and Win, Celebrity J!).
[/quote]

And at least with this special, they aired all the skits in their entirety.  The special 10 years ago aired some full length, while others were clipped to be grouped in medley form.

I still don't understand why they used fake celebrity names for It's A Match when most of us could tell who was who.  Even my wife asked if the one celeb was trying to be Debralee Scott.

I know that some were disappointed with the selection of parodies in last nights show (or lack thereof), but with all the parodies they could choose from, SNL could easily create a 5 or 6 disc collection -- just as big as their "complete season" collections -- and still not have space for them all.

colonial

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 09:29:42 AM »
I seem to remember another SNL game show parody special back in 2001-02 that also focused exclusively on recent clips.  The only skits I remember were Millionaire (where Will Ferrell's character calls it quits after the $100 question), a Celebrity J! skit, a Weakest Link skit with Rachel Dratch as Anne Robinson, and something that spoofed the Rick Rockwell-Darva Conger debacle on Fox (think the spoof was "Who Wants to be Groped by an 11-Thousandaire?").

JD

tpirfan28

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 09:32:13 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'209866\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 08:26 AM\']
I still don't understand why they used fake celebrity names for It's A Match when most of us could tell who was who.  Even my wife asked if the one celeb was trying to be Debralee Scott.[/quote]
Let's see...Brett, Charles (closer to a Paul Lynde), Debralee, Marsha Wallace, Nipsey.  I don't know who the sixth star would have been...probably just to fit into the spoof.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

gamed121683

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'209869\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 09:32 AM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'209866\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 08:26 AM\']
I still don't understand why they used fake celebrity names for It's A Match when most of us could tell who was who.  Even my wife asked if the one celeb was trying to be Debralee Scott.[/quote]
Let's see...Brett, Charles (closer to a Paul Lynde), Debralee, Marsha Wallace, Nipsey.  I don't know who the sixth star would have been...probably just to fit into the spoof.
[/quote]

The 6th star would be magician Doug Henning. I don't recall him doing game shows, though. Chrysler commercials, however...

vtown7

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 03:30:24 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'209866\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 09:26 AM\']
I know that some were disappointed with the selection of parodies in last nights show (or lack thereof), but with all the parodies they could choose from, SNL could easily create a 5 or 6 disc collection -- just as big as their "complete season" collections -- and still not have space for them all.
[/quote]

As someone who has every single parody from the start to about 2005, I would have to agree - there's about 9-10 hours worth kicking around.

Ryan

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 03:32:18 PM »
Hell, if they put out just a single DVD of the Celebrity Jeopardy bits, I'd buy it.

/so would your mother, Trebek
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GSFan

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 01:23:43 AM »
My all time favorite aired sometime in 1975-77.  In a Weekend Update segment, Laraine Newman was reporting a story of an abduction.  The kidnappers asked "famed game show announcer" Don Pardo to read the list of ransom demands, which he did a la Jeopardy, Jackpot, etc..  Absolutely hysterical!
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

DrBear

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 08:49:41 AM »
Thanks for reminding me of all the good ones. For some reason, my mind was stuck on "Wedgie Fever!"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.