Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire idea  (Read 3630 times)

DrBear

Millionaire idea
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 08:11:52 AM »
There is precedent - back in the days of "$64,000 question" there was a ripoff version for kids called "10,000 Penny Jackpot" on a local New York station. (For those of you who haven't figured out decimal points yet, that's $100.)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Hastin

Millionaire idea
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 10:50:49 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'210413\' date=\'Mar 15 2009, 01:31 AM\']
I gotta know, because I'm honestly not figuring it out: you're not serious, are you?
[/quote]

Nope. Totally tongue-in-cheek sarcastic.

I've never understood the appeal of Kids on game shows. Yes, when the format calls for it (like Child's Play), it can work. But I've never really understood the whole "Hey, wouldn't it be great if we take the game, put in kids, and give them an easier game!" It's the same reason I dislike the "Teen Tournament" on Jeopardy!, it just doesn't make compelling television for me - I'd much rather watch a series of Adults play, the game was designed to be played that way.
-Hastin :)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Millionaire idea
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 11:12:17 AM »
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'210455\' date=\'Mar 15 2009, 07:01 PM\']
Hey, yo, if this idea is goofy, then why did Sony have JEP! and Wheel 2000 as a regular series?
[/quote]

I don't see how those two shows would be arguments *for* having kids' versions of game shows.
@lambertman

narzo

Millionaire idea
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 11:47:23 AM »
if anything they need to start bringing on some OLDER players.  I think some of the most memorable players on any number of different shows have been the older ones (yes, I'm talking senior-citizens advertisers) who are smart but have that surprising personality you don't expect from the "grandma-next-door".  If you look at recent episodes of most British shows currently running you will see more post 50's than we have here.

I'm sick of the under 30 (or playing the part) demo that has ruled all the shows for the past decade.  How many Grandparents are even on "feud" these days?  I think the variety needs to be increased, but in the other direction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire idea
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'210507\' date=\'Mar 16 2009, 07:50 AM\']
I've never understood the appeal of Kids on game shows. [/quote]
Oh, I absolutely do, especially when I was a kid and couldn't be on a game show myself because I wasn't of age, 'cuz it meant "Hey! Maybe one day *I* can be on this show too!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

Millionaire idea
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 03:37:47 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'210510\' date=\'Mar 16 2009, 10:47 AM\']
if anything they need to start bringing on some OLDER players.  I think some of the most memorable players on any number of different shows have been the older ones (yes, I'm talking senior-citizens advertisers) who are smart but have that surprising personality you don't expect from the "grandma-next-door".  If you look at recent episodes of most British shows currently running you will see more post 50's than we have here.
[/quote]

Here, my friends, is Exhibit A: Fred.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p8GL3Jb_5c...feature=related
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

MTCesquire

Millionaire idea
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 06:06:53 PM »
That would actually be evidence *against* why senior citizens wouldn't exactly make the best contestants on some shows.  True, Fred was entertaining, but when it came down to play, he slowed the game down.  The host had to read the choices out to him almost every time and even had to walk him center stage so he could see the board a little better.  I could see him on a show like "Card Sharks" or "The Price is Right" but nothing fast-paced like that.