Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show theme sighting...  (Read 4329 times)

pacdude

Game show theme sighting...
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 02:01:08 PM »
Now, do they use these themes because they're easily available, they're well recognizable, or (at least, I feel in the case of things like WML and 70s Password) they're not easily recognizable?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 10:27:48 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'209559\' date=\'Mar 4 2009, 09:23 PM\']
Las Vegas' KJUL-FM - K-Jewel Radio - uses the original  1950s "To Tell The Truth" theme as a bed behind the afternoon traffic reports. I sit smiling in my car, crawling in rush-hour crosstown traffic intoning "... only one of these three people is the real Benjamin Siegel, the other two are imposters and will try to fool the panel before Bugsy's shot in Virginia Hill's living room..."

Before I know it, the light has changed and we're moving again.
[/quote]
The original '50s theme was a tune called Peter Pan by Dolf Van Der Linden, performed by his Metropole Orchestra. Is that the one you mean?

http://www.rfsoc.org.uk/dvdlinden.shtml
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:53:50 PM by chris319 »

tvrandywest

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 02:54:37 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'209634\' date=\'Mar 5 2009, 07:27 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'209559\' date=\'Mar 4 2009, 09:23 PM\']
Las Vegas' KJUL-FM - K-Jewel Radio - uses the original  1950s "To Tell The Truth" theme as a bed behind the afternoon traffic reports. I sit smiling in my car, crawling in rush-hour crosstown traffic intoning "... only one of these three people is the real Benjamin Siegel, the other two are imposters and will try to fool the panel before Bugsy's shot in Virginia Hill's living room..."

Before I know it, the light has changed and we're moving again.
[/quote]
The original '50s theme was a tune called Peter Pan by Dolf Van Der Linden, performed by his Metropole Orchestra. Is that the one you mean?

http://www.rfsoc.org.uk/dvdlinden.shtml
[/quote]
I should have known you'd catch ANY error. I should have not used the word "original" as I mean this subsequent theme.
Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:58:31 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

DrBear

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 07:35:18 AM »
A few years ago, I did a feature on a local radio morning team. While sitting in the studio, I noticed a copy of one of the game show theme CDs many of us have and told the jocks "hey, I have that too!" "I don't think there's a radio station that doesn't," they replied.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 09:26:59 AM »
I should have known you'd catch ANY error.
Hey, it was my job ... 30 years ago!

Good thing Orson wasn't allergic to the feathers in any of Kitty's boas.

calliaume

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 11:28:15 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'209651\' date=\'Mar 6 2009, 08:35 AM\']
A few years ago, I did a feature on a local radio morning team. While sitting in the studio, I noticed a copy of one of the game show theme CDs many of us have and told the jocks "hey, I have that too!" "I don't think there's a radio station that doesn't," they replied.
[/quote]
It's possible the only sales Varese Sarabande made were to radio stations throughout the country and the more dedicated folks here on the Forum.  Which doesn't explain Volume 2.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 11:46:23 AM »
Now, do they use these themes because they're easily available, they're well recognizable, or (at least, I feel in the case of things like WML and 70s Password) they're not easily recognizable?

After giving it more thought, I realized that the Price is Right theme from the first CD is quite frequently played in the background on my favorite station too.  I'd have to say it's because they are recognizable - I can't think of very many people that wouldn't recognize THAT! :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

kenbob_clarker

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 02:37:20 PM »
Early this morning, I was awakened by none other than the TTD theme song playing as filler for a 30-second sign off of a local gospel station.  Later on, they played it again.  Apparently it's a regular thing.
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

TimK2003

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 07:38:45 PM »
[quote name=\'kenbob_clarker\' post=\'210523\' date=\'Mar 16 2009, 02:37 PM\']
Early this morning, I was awakened by none other than the TTD theme song playing as filler for a 30-second sign off of a local gospel station.  Later on, they played it again.  Apparently it's a regular thing.
[/quote]

TTD a Gospel sounding song?!?

Maybe since they couldn't find a copy of Wink's "Deck of Cards" (a spoken word "song" that would be more a fit for the station), they figured the TTD theme (from Wink's era) would be close enough.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:50:55 PM by TimK2003 »

Mike Tennant

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 09:18:15 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'210541\' date=\'Mar 16 2009, 07:38 PM\'][quote name=\'kenbob_clarker\' post=\'210523\' date=\'Mar 16 2009, 02:37 PM\']Early this morning, I was awakened by none other than the TTD theme song playing as filler for a 30-second sign off of a local gospel station.  Later on, they played it again.  Apparently it's a regular thing.[/quote]TTD a Gospel sounding song?!?[/quote]Well, they could use TJW and ask listeners to "face the devil."