Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: American Gladiators, other reality shows get the axe  (Read 2975 times)

tvwxman

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
American Gladiators, other reality shows get the axe
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 04:34:25 PM »
So they cancel AG, whose ratings tanked, and bring back I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here...why?

Over under on how many episodes air...5.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'210735\' date=\'Mar 19 2009, 04:34 PM\']
So they cancel AG, whose ratings tanked, and bring back I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here...why?
[/quote]
Meanwhile, Singing Bee, which did okay, sits on the shelf. It couldn't have done any worse than any of the other crap they put on the schedule.

Sometimes, I wonder if NBC intentionally wants to fail.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

CarShark

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 05:11:11 PM »
Why don't they just commission a few more episodes of DOND? Didn't they have some leftover that they planned to burn in the spring?

How the hell does a popular show like AG lose half its audience in the interim?

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:15:23 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'210744\' date=\'Mar 19 2009, 05:11 PM\']
[/quote]

As a fan of the original AG:  When they're editing Eliminator runs down from 10 minutes long (8 of which are spent with two contenders repeatedly failing to get up an inclined treadmill) and telling me to go online to see events that were edited out of the show because neither contender scored in them, I kind of get the impression that they don't give a crap.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:39:05 PM »
Another show to throw into the "NBC Sucks Cause They Cancelled It" collection is 1 vs 100. That, along with Las Vegas, made for a pretty good Friday Night package. Right now, based on what decisions have been made over there, show me that the ghost of Brendan Tartikoff could do a better job with NBC.

/that guy was awesome
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

rugrats1

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 08:02:52 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'210763\' date=\'Mar 19 2009, 06:39 PM\']Right now, based on what decisions have been made over there, show me that the ghost of Brendan Tartikoff could do a better job with NBC.
[/quote]

No doubt the ghost of Pat Weaver ain't happy, either.

calliaume

TimK2003

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 10:09:18 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'210735\' date=\'Mar 19 2009, 04:34 PM\']
[/quote]

Because NBC can't get enough clearance from their affiliates to expand (Later) Today to 15 hours straight???

bandit_bobby

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 11:26:36 PM »
That's too bad "Celebrity Family Feud" got cancelled, because I thought it did solid ratings last summer; I wanted it to be around for Summer 2009.

I hope "Nashville Star" comes back on USA soon, since that's its original home.

I would've liked to have seen a new season of "American Gladiators" done on Bravo, but, oh well.

Sodboy13

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 01:18:20 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'210744\' date=\'Mar 19 2009, 04:11 PM\']
[/quote]

As someone who loves the original AG, with lots of friends, and even a fiancee, who love the original, let me offer up my personal take.  I started watching the summer season with the hope that they would address some of the major issues the show had during its winter/spring run.  About three or four episodes in, I realized that, not only were none of those issues getting addressed, but more reasons to dislike the show were getting piled on top, and I bailed.  IMO, the group behind this version completely crapped the bed.

[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'210791\' date=\'Mar 19 2009, 10:26 PM\']
I would've liked to have seen a new season of "American Gladiators" done on Bravo, but, oh well.
[/quote]

Yes, because that's squarely in the crosshairs of Bravo's target demo, and fits in seamlessly with the rest of the lineup.

/These words you are typing, I do not think you know what they mean
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 01:34:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'210799\' date=\'Mar 19 2009, 10:18 PM\']As someone who loves the original AG, with lots of friends, and even a fiancee, who love the original, let me offer up my personal take.  [/quote]A fiancee who loves the Good Version of AG? You sir are luckier than you know.

I wonder if the series was produced by people who had ever seen the original series. It seemed like "Let's take an old classic, run it through the Primetime Game Show-inator and that's what we got. Fireworks and splashies, long run-ups to the events, and cutaways before the event starts, over-the-top hosting, hyperspeed editing...I think I'm going to have a cry now.
Travis L. Eberle

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 04:15:44 AM »
I'm not sure if I EVEN wanna watch NBC anymore now that they cleaned their slate for this summer.  Not only are they bringing back an old ABC retread in "I'm A Celebrity,,,Get Me Out of Here", but they're also considering "Have I Got News For You".  Personally, I'd rather see the original on BBC America before I pass judgement on it.  No more AG is fine with me now that the original's comming out on DVD later this summer.  As for the others, I'll simply say good riddance to bad rubbish.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:16:34 AM by Craig Karlberg »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 04:25:18 AM »
Here's a fun game. Find the five blatant contradictions in the above post.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 03:04:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'210810\' date=\'Mar 20 2009, 04:25 AM\']
Here's a fun game. Find the five blatant contradictions in the above post.
[/quote]
Is "the entire damn paragraph" an acceptable answer?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!