Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does anyone recognize this game show?  (Read 4242 times)

Sonic Whammy

Does anyone recognize this game show?
« on: October 26, 2003, 09:49:07 AM »
Hi again, everyone.

I have one for you. Scott Hostetler, PYL and Whammy champ, has asked me a favor in trying to help him compile a list of all the game shows that he competed on over the years, from his first appearance on Wheel in 1978, to his stint on Pyramid coming up soon (he just taped on the 14th.)

To date, he'll have been on 16 shows, but there's one show he can't remember the name of. I'll give you his description as he mailed it to me, and if anyone can provide a name, we'd be thankful.

Here's how he described it to me:

There is one show I can not remember the name of or who hosted or where it aired.

I am pretty sure it was not network or I would have taped it.

I will describe it to my best recollection:

I made it to the final round and an audience put these answers in the order they thought was most graceful:

Butterflies, dolphins, and ballerinas.

My task was to put them in the same order the audience did.

I put them in the order which you see them in above.

The correct answer was  Ballerinas, dolphins, and then butterflies.

I remember they brought my kids up on stage during the credits and I think they were 8 to 12 years old which puts the time line in the early 1990’s.

Obscure description, I know, but any help you might have is good. Thanks.

Stay Way Past Cool!

Brian Sapinski
The Sonic Whammy
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

LA the DJ

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 10:37:51 AM »
Wow, that's pretty incredible to have been on so many game shows that you forgot the name of one.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 10:40:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 09:49 AM\'] Hi again, everyone.

I have one for you. Scott Hostetler, PYL and Whammy champ, has asked me a favor in trying to help him compile a list of all the game shows that he competed on over the years, from his first appearance on Wheel in 1978, to his stint on Pyramid coming up soon (he just taped on the 14th.)

To date, he'll have been on 16 shows, but there's one show he can't remember the name of. I'll give you his description as he mailed it to me, and if anyone can provide a name, we'd be thankful.

Here's how he described it to me:

There is one show I can not remember the name of or who hosted or where it aired.

I am pretty sure it was not network or I would have taped it.

I will describe it to my best recollection:

I made it to the final round and an audience put these answers in the order they thought was most graceful:

Butterflies, dolphins, and ballerinas.

My task was to put them in the same order the audience did.

I put them in the order which you see them in above.

The correct answer was  Ballerinas, dolphins, and then butterflies.

I remember they brought my kids up on stage during the credits and I think they were 8 to 12 years old which puts the time line in the early 1990’s.

Obscure description, I know, but any help you might have is good. Thanks.

Stay Way Past Cool!

Brian Sapinski
The Sonic Whammy [/quote]
 Would this be Third Degree?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Fedya

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 10:50:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 10:40 AM\'] Would this be Third Degree? [/quote]
 Third Degree was a sort of panel show with two-player civilian teams being grilled by celebs.

The description of the bonus round sounds like a reworking of How Do You Like Your Eggs?, although that show was much before the 1990s.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 11:25:56 AM »
Sounds like Majority Rules from '95 or so to me.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 12:17:55 PM »
I'd be interested to know what shows he's been on.  Here's a list of shows I know Scott's been on...

*  Pyramid
*  Whammy!
*  Press Your Luck
*  Wheel of Fortune
*  Weakest Link
*  Trivial Pursuit
*  Match Game 98
*  The mystery game mentioned at the start of this thread

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 12:34:30 PM »
After checking the EOTVGS, it sounds very much like Majority Rules' endgame.

The day's winner played the bonus round in which he or she tried to put three audience answers in order from highest to lowest percentage on a blank check. For example, if 54%, 24%, and 22% were the secret responses and the contestant had put them in the correct order, he or she could win $5,424.22. Before the answers were revealed, the player had the option of taking $5,000 if he or she felt the order was incorrect. If correct, the player got the value of the check plus a $10,000 bonus.

Marc Summers and Arthel Neville were the hosts, and it aired in Phoenix and New Orleans from Aug 5 1996 to Jan 97.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2003, 02:14:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 08:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 10:40 AM\'] Would this be Third Degree? [/quote]
Third Degree was a sort of panel show with two-player civilian teams being grilled by celebs.
 [/quote]
 I think Don was thinking of "Triple Threat" with Jim Lange, and made the common mistake that I tend to make as well. But that show involved ordering up a lot more than three at the end.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 12:21:17 AM »
When will Scott's Pyramid ep air? Who are the celebs that day?

Chuck Donegan (The Curious "Chuckie Baby")

whewfan

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 07:02:41 AM »
It's no wonder Scott forgot Majority Rules, a train wreck of a show.
The main game was a confusing, the bonus round was both confusing and impossible, and while Marc Summers tries very hard to breath life into the game, co-host Arthel Neville bogs it down. I understand they changed the main game format a few times in it's short run. Marc and Arthel had that uncomfy Dave Nemeth/Nancy Sullivan lack of chemistry. I think Arthel is now the co-host of that John Edwards show.

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2003, 05:19:08 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Oct 27 2003, 07:02 AM\']It's no wonder Scott forgot Majority Rules, a train wreck of a show.
The main game was a confusing, the bonus round was both confusing and impossible, and while Marc Summers tries very hard to breath life into the game, co-host Arthel Neville bogs it down. I understand they changed the main game format a few times in it's short run. Marc and Arthel had that uncomfy Dave Nemeth/Nancy Sullivan lack of chemistry. I think Arthel is now the co-host of that John Edwards show.[/quote]
Don't think so, since Neville was fired from her CNN gig in Atlanta last August and she couldn't have gotten the Edward gig so soon after her departure.  Even if she tried to get the gig while still at CNN, the network would've definitely not allowed her to take it for rather obvious reasons (despite the fact that "psychics" pop up on Larry King all the time, but that's getting off topic).

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2003, 11:39:15 PM »
Here's an update, guys.

No sooner did you guys create a pun than Scott did confirm it was in fact MAJORITY RULES. We both thank you for all your help in that research.

BTW, just to give you a heads up on Scott's Pyramid performance, the celebs on his ep will be Gilbert Gottfried and Kennedy. I DO know the results, but I'm gonna keep quiet on that, only cuz I want to actually see it for myself.

Thanks again, guys. Stay Way Past Cool!

Brian Sapinski
The Sonic Whammy
Brian Sapinski

tommycharles

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Oct 27 2003, 11:39 PM\'] BTW, just to give you a heads up on Scott's Pyramid performance, the celebs on his ep will be Gilbert Gottfried and Kennedy. I DO know the results, but I'm gonna keep quiet on that, only cuz I want to actually see it for myself.

[/quote]
 You can't tell us because you don't want to ruin the surprise for....yourself? I didn't particularly want to know as I'll watch it anyway, but that sentence makes little sense.

BTW, is this the first Pyramid performance for both Kennedy and Gottfried?

T

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2003, 10:03:12 PM »
Apologies if my response was a little weird. Let me explain what I meant.

I've read spoilers for various things before. TV shows, my Sonic comics, things like that. I don't necessarily like to get into the material like that a whole lot, but when I happen to come across it, I can never fully make sense of what's been described to me. The only way I can do that is to actually see the show or the issue, look it through as it was meant to be seen, and try to piece together everything that I've heard about in advance.

So like I said, I know what happened in Scott's episode (when it airs, I have no idea yet), but I taking about the results is pointless to me because I have to see it all for myself in order for it all to make sense.

It sounds weird, I know, but that's just the way I am. Trust me, you'll see what happened for Scott soon enough.

Stay Way Past Cool!
Brian Sapinski