Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2009 Game Show Tournament  (Read 2232 times)

Loogaroo

2009 Game Show Tournament
« on: March 22, 2009, 08:41:43 AM »
Just putting out the feelers to see what sort of interest there would be in giving that old chestnut another go-round.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's that thing we used to do each year at around the same time as the NCAA tournament, where a field of 64 shows are placed in brackets and people vote on the better show until a champion is found.

I know it's been a bit of a polarizing event in the past, which is why I'm not just jumping and doing it right away. We'll probably do it as a Facebook group or something similar (yes, this might be the thing that gets me to finally join Facebook), so that those who don't want to participate don't get pestered by the updates. And yes, I'm planning to make every vote count in every match this time around, as I know that was a big sticking point back then.

So anyway, let me know if you guys think this is worthwhile or not, and I'll make a decision on it within the next couple of days.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 08:53:39 PM »
Heya, Tim. Been forever since we spoke last.

Last time you did this was 5 years ago. I remember cuz I was temping between teaching jobs and I actually posted the brackets at my cubicle. Of course, few people completely understood it or noticed without my pointing it out, but I didn't care. Heck, when you got down to the Final Four, I even e-mailed the guys from Around the Horn to get their thoughts on it, and I actually got a reply from J.A. Adande, no foolin'!

If you're game to do it again, I'm in.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

gsfreak82

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:02:53 PM »
I'm game for it.  

Brian Schwartz

HYHYBT

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:05:10 PM »
Why not?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 12:38:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'211085\' date=\'Mar 23 2009, 07:53 PM\']
Heck, when you got down to the Final Four, I even e-mailed the guys from Around the Horn to get their thoughts on it, and I actually got a reply from J.A. Adande, no foolin'!
[/quote]

I'm afraid to ask what he said.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 01:03:23 AM »
I'm in
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

gromit82

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 01:55:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'210947\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 07:41 AM\']For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's that thing we used to do each year at around the same time as the NCAA tournament, where a field of 64 shows are placed in brackets and people vote on the better show until a champion is found.

I know it's been a bit of a polarizing event in the past, which is why I'm not just jumping and doing it right away. We'll probably do it as a Facebook group or something similar (yes, this might be the thing that gets me to finally join Facebook), so that those who don't want to participate don't get pestered by the updates. And yes, I'm planning to make every vote count in every match this time around, as I know that was a big sticking point back then.[/quote]

I would be interested, but probably not if it was on Facebook. How about a Yahoo! group, like it used to be?

Loogaroo

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 08:24:12 AM »
There would probably be some coordination between Facebook and my LJ or somesuch. I'm as reticent as anyone to get involved with FB, but that seems to be the best way to reach the most people with the least interference.

I'll work on the details over my days off and hopefully have an official announcement by Thursday.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 09:39:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'211113\' date=\'Mar 24 2009, 08:24 AM\']
 I'm as reticent as anyone to get involved with FB
[/quote]

You would seem to be far more reticent than average, my friend. Many of us are already there.

/Ob "The New Format Stinks" comment: it does!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:43:18 AM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

Loogaroo

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 11:22:19 PM »
The tournament is now officially underway, both on Facebook and Livejournal.

Nominations are currently open; we'll have the brackets ready in about a week.

If you're interested in participating, head on over to either or both sites and sign up. If not, don't worry; this is the only time you'll hear about it here, with the exception of maybe my user signature if I get around to changing it.