Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS Cancels Guiding Light  (Read 42879 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
CBS Cancels Guiding Light
« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2009, 12:37:01 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'211959\' date=\'Apr 2 2009, 08:43 PM\']
I meant Jay's second hypothetical. Mary won more in the Winners' Circle in the two-out-of-three match, but since John won two games, he's the champion. That seems off to me.[/quote]
Okay, well, I don't have a problem with it, since the front game is where champions are determined and the Winner's Circle is the bonus round. Just like on every other game show in the world.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2009, 02:30:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'211961\' date=\'Apr 2 2009, 11:50 PM\']
If this show comes back, they better bring the damn cuckoo with them and someone that will flaunt that bird every time it's needed.
[/quote]
Honestly, I'd rather hear a 2000s version of "Tuning Up" more than anything, at least something with a distinct melody that has that one familiar bridge that both theme songs used (da-da-da-DA-da-da-da-da*)...

But more than anything, good writing and consistent judging will work for me...use any 80s episode for reference. That and any Perry-hosted $ale belong as textbook examples of how to do a game show damn near flawlessly. There's a reason the 80s Pyramid won Emmys.

/Sigh
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tvmitch

« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2009, 08:40:30 AM »
Here is a blurb from "Spots N Dots," a daily email newsletter for those involved in TV sales...I get this at work each day.

NETWORK NEWS
It’s now official—CBS is canceling Guiding Light in
September—after 57 years on the network. CBS will not
return the time to affiliates, but is expected to replace the
soap with a talk or game show; a remake of $25,000
Pyramid is being prominently mentioned......

No sources or anything are given, but I thought it was interesting wording from these folks.
You should follow me on Twitter

tpirfan28

« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2009, 08:56:40 AM »
I wonder...if a pilot is commissioned and CBS doesn't pick it up, could Davies and co. shop it for syndication, or is it too late for a syndie pickup?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

bandit_bobby

« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2009, 09:26:45 AM »
If Pyramid does indeed come back, my mom & I are hoping that Donny Osmond gets to host this. I doubt it, though.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2009, 01:12:38 PM »
One more thought on the best-of-three approach:  What if the winner (based on total WC winnings) from rounds 1 and 2, switching celebrity partners between rounds, faced off against the previous day's champion in round 3?  There's still the "dud celebrity" problem, but at least we know each of the contestants at that point has won something before being stuck with said dud.  Make rounds 1 and 2 worth $5K or $10K each, regardless of whether the same contestant participates in both; then make round 3 worth whatever your announced top prize is.  Either give the champion the privilege of selecting his round 3 celeb or make it a coin flip.

Don Howard

« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'211986\' date=\'Apr 3 2009, 09:26 AM\']
If Pyramid does indeed come back, my mom & I are hoping that Donny Osmond gets to host this.
[/quote]
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it?

Jumpondees

« Reply #157 on: April 04, 2009, 12:00:26 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'211970\' date=\'Apr 3 2009, 02:30 AM\']

But more than anything, good writing and consistent judging will work for me...use any 80s episode for reference. That and any Perry-hosted $ale belong as textbook examples of how to do a game show damn near flawlessly. There's a reason the 80s Pyramid won Emmys.

[/quote]

Aaahhhhhh Yes, Perry-hosted $ale, *sings*

"Memories...."

Jay Temple

« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2009, 12:41:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'212010\' date=\'Apr 3 2009, 12:12 PM\']
One more thought on the best-of-three approach:  What if the winner (based on total WC winnings) from rounds 1 and 2, switching celebrity partners between rounds, faced off against the previous day's champion in round 3?  There's still the "dud celebrity" problem, but at least we know each of the contestants at that point has won something before being stuck with said dud.  Make rounds 1 and 2 worth $5K or $10K each, regardless of whether the same contestant participates in both; then make round 3 worth whatever your announced top prize is.  Either give the champion the privilege of selecting his round 3 celeb or make it a coin flip.
[/quote]
Now you're up to the format I had for the $1M Pyramid.
Game 1: two civilian pairs (To avoid the dud-partner problem, you can lose one Game 1 and still come back the next day.)
Game 2: Winning pair from Game 1 splits up and has celebrity partners. (As with your idea, at least you win a game before you're stuck with a dud celeb.)
Finals (G3): Winner of Game 2 switches celebs to face previous day's winner.

For Monday, we could use either of your ideas, or stipulate that Friday's winner automatically plays with the male/female celebrity.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2009, 01:47:35 AM »
Maybe we're overcomplicating it.  My new proposal would be to play one front game and one end game per half hour.  Players switch celebs at the half.  What time remains would be used for plugs, chit-chat, mill-arounds, post-mortems, etc.  Top money winner would return the next day.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chad1m

« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2009, 02:01:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'212091\' date=\'Apr 4 2009, 01:47 AM\']Maybe we're overcomplicating it.  My new proposal would be to play one front game and one end game per half hour.  Players switch celebs at the half.  What time remains would be used for plugs, chit-chat, mill-arounds, post-mortems, etc.  Top money winner would return the next day.[/quote]Hey, if we're going to do that, why not make both the front game and the end game contain ten categories? Make the Winner's Circle 90 seconds or two minutes. That way, we still have a lot of gameplay in and we're not stretching most shows.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 02:01:16 AM by chad1m »

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2009, 02:11:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'212091\' date=\'Apr 4 2009, 12:47 AM\']
Maybe we're overcomplicating it.  My new proposal would be to play one front game and one end game per half hour.  Players switch celebs at the half.  What time remains would be used for plugs, chit-chat, mill-arounds, post-mortems, etc.  Top money winner would return the next day.
[/quote]

Honestly, that sounds like something they'd do. Password kinda did the same thing, they took a game that could've taken ten minutes and really streched it. Using your idea, they could play two full front games, and two Winner's Circles both for $10,000. Then have the top winner play a final Winner's Circle for $25,000. If there's a tie, I guess you could have some sorta quick tiebreaker. Maybe where the host reads some clues and first to answer gets to play, or you could have them play together in the WC and split whatever's won.

Neumms

« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2009, 11:40:23 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'212092\' date=\'Apr 4 2009, 01:01 AM\']
Hey, if we're going to do that, why not make both the front game and the end game contain ten categories? Make the Winner's Circle 90 seconds or two minutes. That way, we still have a lot of gameplay in and we're not stretching most shows.
[/quote]

I like this idea. Mainly because I love the Winners' Circle and never liked the front game.

Maybe there are two or three conventional trips in an episode, then the top winner plays a Big Pyramid in the finale.

tpirfan28

« Reply #163 on: April 04, 2009, 12:02:34 PM »
Two thoughts:

Host idea:  Pat Kiernan?  He's worked with Davies before, and I think he has both the wit and the smarts (why didn't you say a doughnut!?) to handle the format.

If they went $25,000 as the top prize, it could always open up a $100,000 once-weekly primetime slot filler, like the TPIR MDSs are/were.

(Personal preference...keep the six in the Winner's Circle.)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jay Temple

« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2009, 12:17:33 PM »
Ooh ooh ... I just had an idea for a quickie tie-breaker to be added to any format that needs it. Civilian players are shown a Winner's Circle-type category, which they will try to convey to the celeb with whom they won their game. Starting at no more than five, they bid on how few clues they need, à la NTT. If the person with the low bid is successful, he wins; if not, he loses.

\I like anything that results in players giving the clues more often.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.