Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Finishing Double Jeopardy with <$0  (Read 8209 times)

jmangin

Finishing Double Jeopardy with <$0
« on: April 01, 2009, 03:39:03 PM »
Taking all matters with a grain of salt, the Wikipedia article on Jeopardy says that on one Fleming episode of the show all three contestants finished in the red at the end of Double Jeopardy. Does anyone have this episode in their collection or possibly a clip, or any recollection of the incident?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 04:05:36 PM »
While I can't say for sure whether this did or did not happen, I'm wary of what I read on wikipedia.  An example:  I read a bit of the Dating Game page on there today, and in the "episode status" section, it states that only 25 daytime episodes exist and have been run by GSN.  That's baloney.  Most of the daytime run exists and GSN ran several years of it.  Odd thing is, last time I looked at that page I don't recall seeing that.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Allstar87

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 04:19:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'211727\' date=\'Apr 1 2009, 04:05 PM\']
While I can't say for sure whether this did or did not happen, I'm wary of what I read on wikipedia. [/quote]

Same...Knockout's article claims that every episode still exists, with not a shred of proof to back it up.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 04:23:37 PM »
I also wonder how they figure out airdates, when there's no direct mention of them or no original commercials that could give clues.  The color Eye Guess that exists the site claims is from Nov 8, 1967.  If it is, all the power to whomever posted it, I'd just be curious as to how they figured it out.

Some shows it's easy to figure out airdates - if it has celebrities and they happen to mention the day of the week, a check of old TVGuides can confirm those ones.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'211724\' date=\'Apr 1 2009, 03:39 PM\']Taking all matters with a grain of salt, the Wikipedia article on Jeopardy says that on one Fleming episode of the show all three contestants finished in the red at the end of Double Jeopardy. Does anyone have this episode in their collection or possibly a clip, or any recollection of the incident?[/quote]
While the kneejerk Wikibashing is unsurprising, one of you might have noticed that this particular claim was attributed.  The reference is to Maxine Fabe's original work TV Game Shows and sure enough, on page 241, she writes: "Contestants with negative scores were not permitted to play Final Jeopardy, and more than once, that was the case for all three contestants."  

The problem here, of course, is that while Fabe's book is a landmark work for our genre's library, it was written in the days before GSN, before the internet, even before widespread use of VCRs, before anything that would help her actually be able to watch old shows again.  She might have remembered such an event, or somebody might have told her it happened, or she might have made it up because it sounded cool and she wasn't thinking in 1979 that thirty years later, she'd be quoted by a reference work with its own reliability issues.  The Fabe book, while a fun read, is riddled with inaccuracies and typos.  I'd have a hard time accepting an offhand comment in it as definite truth.

Regardless, I'm sure that if someone had such a bizarre oddity among the tiny handful of surviving episodes, it would have surfaced by now.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jmangin

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 07:19:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'211760\' date=\'Apr 1 2009, 06:19 PM\']
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'211724\' date=\'Apr 1 2009, 03:39 PM\']Taking all matters with a grain of salt, the Wikipedia article on Jeopardy says that on one Fleming episode of the show all three contestants finished in the red at the end of Double Jeopardy. Does anyone have this episode in their collection or possibly a clip, or any recollection of the incident?[/quote]
While the kneejerk Wikibashing is unsurprising
[/quote]
I certainly wouldn't classify my query as "wikibashing," I was just curious if anyone else here (being game show fans) recalled such an incident.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 07:28:43 PM »
Don Pardo might know. :)  The Fabe book was a pioneer, no doubt, but how it got to print with "The Newsletter Rollers" in there...
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 07:35:24 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'211767\' date=\'Apr 1 2009, 07:19 PM\']I certainly wouldn't classify my query as "wikibashing," I was just curious if anyone else here (being game show fans) recalled such an incident.
[/quote]
I'm sorry, no, not your question.  "Grain of salt" I've got no problem with, and you had a genuine question.  My problem is that people who don't know the answer to your question simply take these opportunities to make unrelated comments about Wikipedia's other errors, and again, this time without even bothering to notice that the thing you asked about was sourced.  It gets old.

alfonzos

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:36:06 PM »
FWIW, if memory serves, Final J!'s cancellation because there were no eligible contestants happened more than once.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

GrandGame1440

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 12:16:10 AM »
As this ever happened on Trebek's?  If so, what was done to fill the remaining time?

Neumms

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »
[quote name=\'GrandGame1440\' post=\'211824\' date=\'Apr 1 2009, 11:16 PM\']
As this ever happened on Trebek's?  If so, what was done to fill the remaining time?
[/quote]

If I recall an episode back in, oh, October of '69, Art closed the show with a musical number. He announced he was appearing in "Show Boat" out on Long Island, then sang "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man," kind of an odd choice actually.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 02:47:13 PM »
[quote name=\'GrandGame1440\' post=\'211824\' date=\'Apr 2 2009, 12:16 AM\']
[/quote]

They played a round of Big Numbers and Alex shouted, "Many moon come, that's a niner".

No, seriously, I haven't been able to find any proof of it happening by scanning the J! archive. Considering how surprised fans were when only ONE contestant got to play Final J! a couple years ago, I would say that a no-final Trebek J! never happened.
Bobby Peacock

alfonzos

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 08:22:07 PM »
The Mental Floss website confirms that a J! episode ended with nobody eligible for Final J!
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 10:03:52 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'221347\' date=\'Jul 28 2009, 08:22 PM\']The Mental Floss website confirms that a J! episode ended with nobody eligible for Final J![/quote]
Unless there's some independent reporting going on for that little factoid (which seems unlikely), it appears to just be a regurgitation of the Wikipedia/Maxine Fabe reference.

mmb5

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 11:16:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'221354\' date=\'Jul 28 2009, 10:03 PM\'][quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'221347\' date=\'Jul 28 2009, 08:22 PM\']The Mental Floss website confirms that a J! episode ended with nobody eligible for Final J![/quote]
Unless there's some independent reporting going on for that little factoid (which seems unlikely), it appears to just be a regurgitation of the Wikipedia/Maxine Fabe reference.
[/quote]
From what I've seen in the past, Mental Floss is not exactly big on the research and fact checking.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.