Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Carey "Price" On GSN  (Read 4835 times)

bwood

Carey "Price" On GSN
« on: April 01, 2009, 08:33:25 PM »
So we all know that "the powers that be" never wanted TPiR reran on GSN during the recent Barker years fearing overexposure and comparing the show that was on at that time to Barker's shows of years past. However, everyone in the game show world knows that things are not exactly what they once were for TPiR with the changes made over the last few years (some people don't even know the show is on anymore).

So, my thought is this: Do you see the Carey era TPiR showing up on GSN any time soon? I mean it IS TPiR (what GSN wants), and rerunning the previous Carey season (or current season) would not draw comparisons to Barker. Given GSN's current "gotta have newer runs of shows" state of mind, I would not rule this possibility out (assuming CBS and Fremantle would go along with it). Personally, I think it could do the show (and GSN) some good. The plus for GSN is that it would get rerun rights to another big name, promotable game show. The plus for CBS and Fremantle is that it would show that TPiR is still on and still chugging along.
Does anyone else ever see this happening?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:34:07 PM by bwood »

irismason42

Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:08:31 PM »
No, and even if TPIR goes off from the CBS schedule, you're not gonna be seeing any form of TPIR reruns anytime soon.

Jimmy Owen

Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »
I'd rather have programming that is exclusive to GSN.  If it went off CBS, maybe.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

snowpeck

Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:25:20 PM »
Only thing is, it would likely come with a stipulation that it can't play during hours when Price could possibly be seen on a CBS affiliate.  I remember the Perf saying that was one of the new things CBS/Fremantle wanted enforced.  If you remember to back when GSN had Price, it frequently aired at the same time as a new episode on CBS in some markets.  I'm not so sure GSN would be willing to put it in primetime, and it would be a waste to acquire it and just show it in overnights.

Greg
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:26:20 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

bwood

Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 09:35:08 PM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'211785\' date=\'Apr 1 2009, 09:25 PM\']
Only thing is, it would likely come with a stipulation that it can't play during hours when Price could possibly be seen on a CBS affiliate.  I remember the Perf saying that was one of the new things CBS/Fremantle wanted enforced.  If you remember to back when GSN had Price, it frequently aired at the same time as a new episode on CBS in some markets.  I'm not so sure GSN would be willing to put it in primetime, and it would be a waste to acquire it and just show it in overnights.

Greg
[/quote]

Yeah, I remember it airing in my area a few times against a first run episode.

However, if they did get the rights, I COULD see them putting it in primetime (do we need that much Feud anyway?)....or to avoid "overexposure" maybe some sort of weekend run.

davemackey

Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 09:49:58 PM »
Has CBS ever considered a day-and-date or next-day cable window, similar to what CNBC did with Conan O'Brien?

BrandonFG

Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:15:33 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'211793\' date=\'Apr 1 2009, 09:49 PM\']
Has CBS ever considered a day-and-date or next-day cable window, similar to what CNBC did with Conan O'Brien?
[/quote]
Young and Restless on SoapNet.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 12:30:56 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'211798\' date=\'Apr 1 2009, 10:15 PM\']
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'211793\' date=\'Apr 1 2009, 09:49 PM\']
[/quote]
Young and Restless on SoapNet.
[/quote]

I seem to recall that CBS put up a big fight to keep that from becoming a reality.

BillCullen1

Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 12:40:27 PM »
I'm guessing that GSN would love to have a show with Drew Carey on it, are there aren't enough shows of Power of 10 to put into reruns. The odds for Carey's TPIR showing up on GSN is better than Barker's.

Matt Ottinger

Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'211863\' date=\'Apr 2 2009, 11:40 AM\']The odds for Carey's TPIR showing up on GSN is better than Barker's.[/quote]
True that -- for many reasons -- and why not?  If Barker was the holdup, as everyone seems to think, then he's not an issue as far as the Carey shows go.  CBS might have been blocking it before, but as the TV landscape is changing by the hour, I would think their negatives and positives for letting GSN air reruns may have shifted somewhat in the last two years.

(Opening the Cullen shows up for discussion would be even cooler for me, but GSN has finally cast off all their black and white shows, possibly for good.)
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 01:08:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'211865\' date=\'Apr 2 2009, 12:49 PM\']
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'211863\' date=\'Apr 2 2009, 11:40 AM\']The odds for Carey's TPIR showing up on GSN is better than Barker's.[/quote]
(Opening the Cullen shows up for discussion would be even cooler for me, but GSN has finally cast off all their black and white shows, possibly for good.) [/quote]

That makes two of us who agree with that, but that's a topic for another thread. BTW, posters on GSN's forum boards are being very vocal with letting GSN know what they think of GSN's decision to jettison B&W shows.

chad1m

Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 01:17:04 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'211867\' date=\'Apr 2 2009, 01:08 PM\']BTW, posters on GSN's forum boards are being very vocal with letting GSN know what they think of GSN's decision to jettison B&W shows.[/quote]Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with how many people are signing up at their forums just to complain. You can give us twenty Feuds but damn it if you take away our black and white shows.

aaron sica

Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 01:49:27 PM »
Perhaps the B&W shows will come back again at some point in the future. While I never really watched any of the B&W shows (with the exception of Cullen PiR when GSN aired it), there *are* people who really enjoy them - and why not? They're an important part of television history. While I will frequently admonish some of the mentality of the posters on the GSN board, perhaps it's what GSN needs to hear - well, sanely anyway. Sorry, "I'm going to stop watching GSN" won't make anyone shake in their shoes.

calliaume

Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 03:32:50 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'211876\' date=\'Apr 2 2009, 12:49 PM\']
Perhaps the B&W shows will come back again at some point in the future. While I never really watched any of the B&W shows (with the exception of Cullen PiR when GSN aired it), there *are* people who really enjoy them - and why not? They're an important part of television history. While I will frequently admonish some of the mentality of the posters on the GSN board, perhaps it's what GSN needs to hear - well, sanely anyway. Sorry, "I'm going to stop watching GSN" won't make anyone shake in their shoes.
[/quote]
Steve Beverly and Mark Evanier have frequently mentioned the B&W shows on their sites; this may have gotten them some unlikely fans.  I had a reader on Live Journal who loved the B&W shows, even though she was totally not the typical demographic -- female, 18-24 age group.

Don Howard

Carey "Price" On GSN
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 05:47:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'211865\' date=\'Apr 2 2009, 12:49 PM\']
True that -- for many reasons -- and why not?  If Barker was the holdup, as everyone seems to think, then he's not an issue as far as the Carey shows go.  CBS might have been blocking it before, but as the TV landscape is changing by the hour, I would think their negatives and positives for letting GSN air reruns may have shifted somewhat in the last two years.
[/quote]
You don't suppose this is the totally awesome groundbreaking borderline-orgasmic announcement that GSN: The Network For Games & Infomercials has for us, do you?