Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire "Conspiracy Theory"?  (Read 5887 times)

NickS

Millionaire "Conspiracy Theory"?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 02:25:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Stevini18\' post=\'215413\' date=\'May 11 2009, 03:39 PM\']Is this "conspiracy theory" based on nothing more than our jealousy that we're not on the show?[/quote]

Yes.

A point to make, and then a question:

I'll wrap this differently than Chris, but I agree with him:  Unless you know what you actually scored, how can you say that you passed?

Millionaire will flat out not tell you what's passing or not, but when they were at Rosemont a couple of years ago, the same assembly line applied:  Scantron the tests, names were called, *then* the interviews happened.  So the M.O. is that a person has to hit a certain point to be accepted - what it is, the producers wouldn't say - that's their criteria, like it or not, unfortunately.  I wanted to know how I did, I didn't, life went on.

Now - can you say that you got *every* question right in your mind?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 02:26:43 PM by TeppanYaki »

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 03:19:49 PM »
Er, not disclosing what is or isn't a passing grade is not limited to game show tryouts.  

I had to "audition" for the day job that I am in now, and that included going to a secure room across town to take an online aptitude test, neither the results of which or the "passing grade" were never disclosed to me.  (Obviously, I did well enough to get the job, though.)  

Based on my experience-- yes, a sample size of one, plus what I have been told by others-- the days when you are told what is or isn't a passing grade, or how you did versus others, pretty much end after academia.  

In terms of trying out for Millionaire or Jeopardy, I've done neither (or any other game show for that matter), despite others telling me that I should, for exactly the reason that some folks have already mentioned.  It's one thing to do well on a test (assuming, in my case, there are no Shakespeare questions) or even knock socks off in a screening interview.    It's another thing to actually get on the show complete with the burden of the high expectations of those around you, and end up like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_JIg9NB47M

Yes, I fear my experience would be much more like Alfred Yankovic than Ken Jennings.

/I still think it was so cool to get Art Fleming and Don Pardo for Al's video...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:22:26 PM by irwinsjournal.com »
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

Clay Zambo

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 03:22:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tomobrien\' post=\'215418\' date=\'May 11 2009, 05:30 PM\']Once the lights go up, the music starts, and the people start applauding, you're frankly lucky if you can remember your own name.[/quote]

Amen, brother.
czambo@mac.com

goongas

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 12:17:22 AM »
Based on anecdotal evidence from other test takers through the years, people on the Millionaire message board think passing is 25 right out of 30.  And yes, the personality part of the audition is much more important than the knowledge test.

Stevini18

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 02:08:44 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'215713\' date=\'May 14 2009, 12:17 AM\']Based on anecdotal evidence from other test takers through the years, people on the Millionaire message board think passing is 25 right out of 30.  And yes, the personality part of the audition is much more important than the knowledge test.[/quote]
Thanks for the good info...

tvmitch

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 11:09:55 AM »
Not that this particular thread is generally about the audition process, but cripes, auditions are only Monday-Thursday 5-7pm? I am within 3 hours driving distance of NYC but I would probably have to take two days off work just to audition. If only they had Friday or Saturday auditions...
You should follow me on Twitter

goongas

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'215744\' date=\'May 14 2009, 11:09 AM\']Not that this particular thread is generally about the audition process, but cripes, auditions are only Monday-Thursday 5-7pm? I am within 3 hours driving distance of NYC but I would probably have to take two days off work just to audition. If only they had Friday or Saturday auditions...[/quote]

The last couple of years they have had a Saturday audition day.  Keep your eye out for it.