Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Paul Alter  (Read 51766 times)

whewfan

Paul Alter
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2009, 11:30:19 PM »
The lesser known part of the story is that Barker, after seeing the early runthroughs, called Bud Grant for a lunch meeting to tell Grant that he didn't want to do "Price"! Unsure about the format he asked to be assigned to "Joker's Wild" or Gambit" instead. Wait for the summer/fall and read all about it   ;-)

I think I read a bit in Entertainment Weekly about that. Neither TJW or Gambit were audience participation shows, and frankly I can't picture Bob Barker hosting a straightforward Q&A show. Also, Bob didn't have "nothing to do", he was still doing Truth or Consequences.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:30:15 AM by Matt Ottinger »

Steve Gavazzi

Paul Alter
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2009, 11:33:51 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'215457\' date=\'May 11 2009, 11:23 PM\'][quote name=\'SamJ93\' post=\'215456\' date=\'May 11 2009, 08:01 PM\']...was Bob really that conservative?[/quote]I always thought he was.  Like old school ultra Right Wing.  According to witness testimony he restricted the number of African American contestants allowed per show, and they had to fit a negative stereotype, I mean...in this day and age?  He might as well in my book have gone out on stage wearing a sheet and carrying a burning cross.  What a "hateful old man" (to quote former employees).

PS I absolutely love that in the end it was an African American WOMAN who did him in![/quote]
Okay, I know we all know Barker isn't a saint...but seriously, is anyone else starting to wonder about some of this?

calliaume

Paul Alter
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2009, 11:58:04 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'215460\' date=\'May 11 2009, 10:30 PM\']I think I read a bit in Entertainment Weekly about that. Neither TJW or Gambit were audience participation shows, and frankly I can't picture Bob Barker hosting a straightforward Q&A show. Also, Bob didn't have "nothing to do", he was still doing Truth or Consequences.[/quote]
Hey, he hosted games other than audience participation.

jimlangefan

Paul Alter
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2009, 11:58:47 PM »
Also, Bob didn't have "nothing to do", he was still doing Truth or Consequences.

In terms of his CBS contract at the time, he pretty much had nothing to do.  The only things he was doing at the time were yearly events.

Okay, I know we all know Barker isn't a saint...but seriously, is anyone else starting to wonder about some of this?

And to the above post, I was under the impression it was more than one witness testimony who also stated that African American contestants were only allowed to two per show.  I am also hoping that at the VERY least, this is false.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:02:05 AM by jimlangefan »
TV's Big Dealer

pentellit

Paul Alter
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2009, 12:13:08 AM »
[quote name=\'jimlangefan\' post=\'215464\' date=\'May 11 2009, 08:58 PM\']I was under the impression it was more than one witness testimony who also stated that African American contestants were only allowed to two per show.  I am also hoping that at the VERY least, this is false.[/quote]
Sorry, "witnesses's".  (Obviously I don't know the correct conjugation of the posessive plural of witness!).  Witnesses's testimony-plural.
And as for it being false, TPTB gave it enough veracity that Deborah Curling announced her intention of suing, based on Barker's alleged racial discrimination, at 9:30 in the morning and that afternoon Bob Barker announced his retirement.  

Curling's lawsuit is being taken very seriously.  Just ask Dobkowitz and Eskander who were the others named in the suit.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 02:27:39 AM by pentellit »

jimlangefan

Paul Alter
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2009, 04:20:21 AM »
Curling's lawsuit is being taken very seriously. Just ask Dobkowitz and Eskander who were the others named in the suit.

As well as CBS, which is one of the basis for Chris Mann's book.  According, so far to Chris Mann, CBS forced Barker into retirement because of this lawsuit because CBS was also named in the lawsuit.  CBS had never been prior named in any of Barker's lawsuits.

Wow.  As being an African-American myself, this is very disheartening to me.  I thought it was just Phillip Wayne Rossi.  I have grown disenchanted with Bob barker the more I found out about him, but this takes the cake.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  If he was willing to treat other people the way he did(mainly women), race shouldn't be far behind right?

But now that I think about on the episode on which I was chosen, I was the second and last black person chosen that day.  And I was called before Pricing game #3.  This was in the Carey era, but Roger was still producing & Eskander still directing.  From a contestant point of view, there may be something to that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:54:26 AM by jimlangefan »
TV's Big Dealer

Steve Gavazzi

Paul Alter
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2009, 08:40:42 AM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'215465\' date=\'May 12 2009, 12:13 AM\']And as for it being false, TPTB gave it enough veracity that Deborah Curling announced her intention of suing, based on Barker's alleged racial discrimination, at 9:30 in the morning and that afternoon Bob Barker announced his retirement.[/quote]
Either that, or Barker had already decided to retire after the episode he'd taped the previous week during which he forgot how to play Dice Game in the middle of Dice Game.

There's multiple theories to this, and the more I hear from you about yours, the less convinced I am that you're actually feeding us hard facts.  

[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'215465\' date=\'May 12 2009, 12:13 AM\']Curling's lawsuit is being taken very seriously.  Just ask Dobkowitz and Eskander who were the others named in the suit.[/quote]
Were you one of them?

Millionaire81

Paul Alter
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2009, 11:15:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'215477\' date=\'May 12 2009, 07:40 AM\']There's multiple theories to this, and the more I hear from you about yours, the less convinced I am that you're actually feeding us hard facts.[/quote]
So basically you think he's a liar.  I think that's hilarious considering you expect others to trust you on blind faith.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Paul Alter
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2009, 12:04:55 PM »
I like that there are two camps on this issue, because both provide facts amidst their passionate arguing. It's nice to sit on the sidelines and be able to assess what they both have to say, and reach your own conclusion that way. Randy West's contribution many pages back was pointed, and helped me get a clearer focus on the TPIR drama.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

pentellit

Paul Alter
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2009, 01:12:53 PM »
[quote name=\'jimlangefan\' post=\'215473\' date=\'May 12 2009, 01:20 AM\']I have grown disenchanted with Bob barker the more I found out about him, but this takes the cake.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  If he was willing to treat other people the way he did(mainly women), race shouldn't be far behind right?[/quote]
From Court TV News:
"Moreover, Clement-Henry claims she was instructed to mark a "B" next to African American contestants, "'to make sure that no more than two African Americans are selected and to make sure they perpetuated racial stereotypes.'"” CourtTvNews 9-24-04

"Bob Barker is the boss from Hell."” Claudia Jordan

Sylvia Clement-Henry and Claudia Jordan, both African American, both sued Bob Barker, and the production company, and both recieved settlements.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:35:18 PM by pentellit »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Paul Alter
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2009, 03:04:56 PM »
Anyone who believes a low-level CBS employee who became disgruntled and voluntarily quit her job brought down Barker, has been bidding "420" a few times too many, despite any on-line conspiracy theories you may have read.

As Steve correctly points out, Barker had some serious senior moments during the show and had wondered on the air whether he should see a psychiatrist. He apparently thought it over that weekend and announced his retirement the week after those shows were taped.

After all the millions spent defending Barker in myriad lawsuits and settling with former employees, do you really think a lawsuit from a CBS minion whose main complaint is that she was moved from a dressing room to an area backstage would make them drop Barker? Answer me this: Why didn't they drop Barker when Claudia and Sylvia brought their suits?

"420, Bob."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:10:52 PM by chris319 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Paul Alter
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2009, 03:10:52 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215506\' date=\'May 12 2009, 02:04 PM\']As Steve correctly points out, Barker had some serious senior moments during the show and had wondered on the air whether he should see a psychiatrist. He apparently thought it over that weekend and announced his retirement the week after those shows were taped.[/quote]

I'm sorry, Chris, but when a guy refuses to provide hard evidence when confronted to provide it on potentially inflammatory statements, it's very hard to believe that anything he says is right.

Quite frankly, I give pentellit a lot more cred than I do Steve and it has absolutely nothing to do with my personal feelings towards the latter or lack thereof, no matter how many time he tries to convince himself otherwise.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Paul Alter
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »
The info Steve gets, from best I can gather, somehow comes down the pike from people who are still employed or perhaps have something to lose by being outed. As far as I can tell, that's part of your beef with him.

On the flip side, has pentellit been able to provide "hard evidence?" I truly believe the backstage stuff pentellit is posting, but it seems just as good as Steve's anecdotal evidence. You would have to convince me better that you're not simply siding with pentellit because it's anti-Steve and/or supports views you otherwise agree with.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

chad1m

Paul Alter
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2009, 03:50:31 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'215516\' date=\'May 12 2009, 03:35 PM\']On the flip side, has pentellit been able to provide "hard evidence?"[/quote]Her story is...[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'214333\' date=\'Apr 28 2009, 10:20 PM\']My dear friend Linda Riegert worked on Price for years. Over the years I spent a lot of time on the set and at TV City.  I didn’t go to the Goodson offices often.  I spent most of my time at Price hanging with Linda, and flirting with the crew and with the cute actors over on Y&R and B&B.  I made a lot of friends on Price and at TV City.
Sadly Linda was one of the women Barker fired after she testified in his lawsuit against Holly.  It was excruciatingly painful to watch my dear friend lose her job, her friends, her career, and her whole life as she knew it, all because she wouldn’t lie for Barker.[/quote]So in my estimation and gathering, most of the stories and insight she provides is from:
a) her first-hand witnessing of them
b) her friend Linda's witnessing/hearing of them
c) being retold them by contacts and friends she kept from the program.

It works just fine for me and, hey, she even gives us direct information of her source!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Paul Alter
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2009, 03:50:50 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'215516\' date=\'May 12 2009, 02:35 PM\']The info Steve gets, from best I can gather, somehow comes down the pike from people who are still employed or perhaps have something to lose by being outed. As far as I can tell, that's part of your beef with him[/quote]

You're right. My theory is this. If he comes out with something potentially damaging, then he shouldn't have any problem saying who he gets the information from. If he has any sort of reason not to say anything about who gave him said information, then he shouldn't bother posting it in the first place.

On the flip side, has pentellit been able to provide "hard evidence?" I truly believe the backstage stuff pentellit is posting, but it seems just as good as Steve's anecdotal evidence. You would have to convince me better that you're not simply siding with pentellit because it's anti-Steve and/or supports views you otherwise agree with.

-Jason

Okay, here we go.

Pentellit's actually citing where she got the information from. Steve is, for all intents and purposes, bowlingbuddying, and without at least some inkling as to where the info he has is coming from I really don't have any reason to believe him.

I'll repeat my point. I believe information should be freeflowing, no doubt about it. But if you're going to post something that's potentially damaging, you should have either the common sense or the guts to name your source. If you don't, then there really isn't any way I can take what you say seriously.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022