Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Paul Alter  (Read 51763 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Paul Alter
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2009, 04:30:54 PM »
You guys have been smoking so much 420 that it's now 840.

All you have to do is watch the episode on YouTube, taped the week before Barker announced his retirement. He screws up on Dice Game, he forgets Rich's name, and has a memory lapse on the One Bid prize. Then he asks whether he should see a psychiatrist. It clearly bothered him and may very well have led to the decision he made the following week. No point in excoriating Steve Gavazzi over it.

Now answer my question: Why didn't TPTB give Baker the heave-ho when Claudia and Sylvia brought their suits?

Have another fanb0i 420.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Paul Alter
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2009, 04:38:50 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215520\' date=\'May 12 2009, 03:30 PM\']All you have to do is watch the episode on YouTube, taped the week before Barker announced his retirement. He screws up on Dice Game, he forgets Rich's name, and has a memory lapse on the One Bid prize. Then he asks whether he should see a psychiatrist. It clearly bothered him and may very well have led to the decision he made the following week. No point in excoriating Steve Gavazzi over it.[/quote]

I'm not excoriating Steve Gavazzi over that.

I'm excoriating Steve Gavazzi for his repeated shortsightedness in his posting of potentially dangerous material and his, in turn, repeated stubbornness in refusing to name his sources.

And I hate to raise this point, but how come most other people get reamed for posting unsourced material and Steve doesn't? I'm almost certain that if I posted something like what Steve does my posting privileges would be suspended for a period of time, perhaps revoked.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:41:15 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chad1m

Paul Alter
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2009, 04:42:29 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215520\' date=\'May 12 2009, 04:30 PM\']You guys have been smoking so much 420 that it's now 840.[/quote]I certainly hope you're not referring to me as an insinuation would not be appreciated. I simply pointed out to Jason how our new friend gets her information.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Paul Alter
« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'215521\' date=\'May 12 2009, 01:38 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215520\' date=\'May 12 2009, 03:30 PM\']All you have to do is watch the episode on YouTube, taped the week before Barker announced his retirement. He screws up on Dice Game, he forgets Rich's name, and has a memory lapse on the One Bid prize. Then he asks whether he should see a psychiatrist. It clearly bothered him and may very well have led to the decision he made the following week. No point in excoriating Steve Gavazzi over it.[/quote]

I'm excoriating Steve Gavazzi for his repeated shortsightedness in his posting of potentially dangerous material and his, in turn, repeated stubbornness in refusing to name his sources.
[/quote]
So you're OK with his recounting the "senior moments" episode on YouTube and dredging up past perceived infractions of his? And why are we bringing that up in this thread?

J.R.

Paul Alter
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2009, 05:09:13 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'215521\' date=\'May 12 2009, 03:38 PM\']I'm excoriating Steve Gavazzi for his repeated shortsightedness in his posting of potentially dangerous material and his, in turn, repeated stubbornness in refusing to name his sources.[/quote]
I think of it like this: He gets some very juicy information, but it includes a disclaimer like this: "Please don't tell anyone it was me, because I have three kids in college and if I lose my job...", but then adds "But I feel people should know about this and feel it's worth the risk. But, I trust you to keep my anonymity to minimize it."

That's why I tend to not get too upset if Steve doesn't "out" his sources.
-Joe Raygor

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Paul Alter
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2009, 05:14:23 PM »
When you "out" sources they stop being sources. Ask any reporter.

PYLdude

Paul Alter
« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215524\' date=\'May 12 2009, 03:49 PM\'][quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'215521\' date=\'May 12 2009, 01:38 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215520\' date=\'May 12 2009, 03:30 PM\']All you have to do is watch the episode on YouTube, taped the week before Barker announced his retirement. He screws up on Dice Game, he forgets Rich's name, and has a memory lapse on the One Bid prize. Then he asks whether he should see a psychiatrist. It clearly bothered him and may very well have led to the decision he made the following week. No point in excoriating Steve Gavazzi over it.[/quote]

[/quote]
So you're OK with his recounting the "senior moments" episode on YouTube and dredging up past perceived infractions of his? And why are we bringing that up in this thread?
[/quote]

Because I believe that pentellit's character is being attacked unfairly and that Steve doesn't get the same...well, consideration...when he posts what he does.

(I know pentellit doesn't need anyone to stick up for her, but I'm just calling as I see. And I also don't believe the "senior moments" thing is the sole reason why Barker decided to leave. In fact, I'm willing to bet that it doesn't have a lot. At all.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:20:21 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Paul Alter
« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2009, 05:52:38 PM »
So why did Barker leave the show when he did? And for the third time, why didn't they toss him overboard when Claudia and Sylvia brought their suits? Or why didn't he retire when they did?

Have you ever even seen the "senior moments" episode?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:55:54 PM by chris319 »

pentellit

Paul Alter
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2009, 05:55:45 PM »
Well, I was warned that this place can get lively!  So here I go with regards to the Curling lawsuit...

Like Claudia Jordan before her, Debbie Curling registered a complaint about Racial Discrimination on The Price Is Right.  And like Jordan before her, Curling’s complaint was largely ignored.  Both women took the issue to the next level up the ladder.  Jordan went to Freemantle and Curling went to CBS.  Jordan was fired off Price Is Right by Barker.  Curling was given a complex legal document to sign containing numerous agreements, and on the advice of lawyers she refused to sign it.  She was then informed that if she was to continue to work at CBS she would automatically be bound by the agreement even if she did not sign it.

Needless to say these were/are serious legal issues CBS was facing.  If Curling sued and it goes to court and is proven that African Americans were denied the opportunity to be a contestant and potentially win cash and prizes based on their race, the words “class action suit” will be ringing in everyone ears.

Curling was given a deadline to sign the document/or continue working which in effect would mean agreeing to the terms and conditions of the agreement.  Everyone waited to see what Curling was going to do.  It was a very tense time at CBS, Freemantle and especially on 33.  That whole week before Curling’s decision people were worried and preoccupied and there were numerous screw-ups, mishaps, stop tapes, including Barker flat out forgetting how to play a game.

The deadline day arrived, Curling refused to sign and had to quit her job in order to preserve her legal rights.  Barker was immediately made aware of Curling’s decision.  The impasse was over, the lawsuit against the network was in the works, and that afternoon Bob Barker announced his retirement.

Curling’s lawsuit named Roger Dobkowitz as having perpetrated the same essence of retaliation that Claudia Jordan had described experiencing after she also complained of Racial Discrimination on Price.

The key issue is twofold: when did CBS become aware of the conditions on Price that the lawsuit arises from, and what action did they take in response.  Barker was out as of that day, Dobkowitz would be out at the end of the new host's first season.  I believe that Eskander would have been kept on just thru the second season (IMO you cannot suddenly produce a show that size with a new host, new producer and a new director = disaster). But Curling’s most recent deposition was crucial regarding Eskander and he was gone within days after she testified.

I see that it’s common practice on game show boards to dismiss these people as merely “disgruntled employees”, if you don’t know the facts, or if the source of your information is primarily the Spin Doctors whose job it is to whitewash such situations.  But I don’t consider these people “low level” minions who were merely unhappy over a triviality.  These were hard working long time employees who lost their jobs, their retirement, their health care, their friends, their lives as they knew them all because they wouldn’t lie, wouldn’t allow themselves or others to be discriminated against, wouldn’t break the law.  They are people who spoke out, spoke up, spoke truthfully, refused to have sex, or refused to sign compromising legal documents.  They’re not dismissable sore losers, they’re people who had to make very hard choices.  In the end they did what they felt was right, and they paid dearly for it.

With regards to the Jordan&Clement-Henry suits, the Curling lawsuit is the first lawsuit that has ever involved the network.  It is also the most far reaching and potentially damaging of all.  The Jordan&Clement-Henry suits were handled in-house by Freemantle and Barker.  Curling did not work for either, she worked for CBS.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:22:40 PM by pentellit »

chad1m

Paul Alter
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2009, 06:01:34 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215533\' date=\'May 12 2009, 05:52 PM\']Have you ever even seen the "senior moments" episode?[/quote]I hadn't even heard about it until now and would like to see it.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Paul Alter
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2009, 06:21:43 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'215536\' date=\'May 12 2009, 05:01 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215533\' date=\'May 12 2009, 05:52 PM\']Have you ever even seen the "senior moments" episode?[/quote]I hadn't even heard about it until now and would like to see it.[/quote]Nor had I.
 As someone who has done reporting; you obviously don't know the dangers of a)giving information that the general public really shouldn't know about and b)If you do do it, not naming the person you got that information from.

But why bother, you just like to attack Steve without a good reason, so I suspect this will be moot.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:21:54 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Paul Alter
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2009, 06:27:30 PM »
Question: Was Bob Barker an employee of CBS? If not, how could CBS force the retirement of someone who was not their employee?

I don't doubt your account of events, but how was Deborah Curling harmed by racial discrimination against potential contestants? She was not the victim of this discrimination as she was never a potential contestant.

Curling refused to sign and had to quit her job in order to preserve her legal rights.
It's clear Curling had the option of continuing to work and being bound by the CBS agreement.

when did CBS become aware of the conditions on Price that the lawsuit arises from, and what action did they take in response.
CBS does not own any part of TPIR so why is it their problem? It's Fremantle's problem; they own the show lock, stock and barrel.

As a G-T vet I can tell you that any game show is totally within its rights to cast or not cast anyone they please as a contestant, and to discriminate or not discriminate against any potential contestant. A game show is considered an artistic work and the producers have complete latitude in this area under the First Amendment. If you go down the path of discrimination on the basis of this, that or the other, there are serious First Amendment implications. Just as Steven Spielberg has complete and total freedom and latitude to cast or not cast anyone he want to in his motion pictures, Stan has complete and total freedom and latitude with regard to contestant selection.

It was a very tense time at CBS, Freemantle and especially on 33. That whole week before Curling’s decision people were worried and preoccupied and there were numerous screw-ups, mishaps, stop tapes, including Barker flat out forgetting how to play a game.

I don't doubt this, and it would account for Barker's fluff while playing Dice Game. Still, there are many, many pieces missing from this puzzle. Fremantle had a long history of defending Barker and settling with aggrieved parties and was named as a co-defendant in the suit. So why should they buckle when Deborah Curling sued?

I'm sorry but I have to say it: Deborah Curling was not a major player on the show. She was not in the cast, she was not a producer or director.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:31:05 PM by chris319 »

PYLdude

Paul Alter
« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2009, 06:30:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'215538\' date=\'May 12 2009, 05:21 PM\']
 As someone who has done reporting; you obviously don't know the dangers of a)giving information that the general public really shouldn't know about and b)If you do do it, not naming the person you got that information from.

But why bother, you just like to attack Steve without a good reason, so I suspect this will be moot.
[/quote]

It will be because you, as always and unsurprisingly, MISSED MY POINT.

My theory is this...unless you have information that either a) could potentially compromise national security (in any way) or b) can cause immediate physical harm to someone, there is no reason not to name sources if called upon to do so. Since Steve's information does not fall into either category, then I believe that he has an obligation to at least give us some sort of hint as to who the information could've come from. And if he can't do that then the information probably shouldn't be relayed.

And if after all that he chooses to relay said information anyway, he shouldn't be surprised if someone chooses to call him on it. Granted, I'm the biggest offender in this case, but I have seen other cases on this forum where Steve's information has been called into question because of his reluctance to at least show some idea where this all comes from. I can understand that he doesn't want to name names but if he doesn't want to give a clue otherwise, then I really have no reason to take anything he says seriously. Ever.

(Finally completed that. I really need to stop hitting the post topic button when I've got more to say.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:41:20 PM by PYLdude »

J.R.

Paul Alter
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2009, 06:31:34 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'215535\' date=\'May 12 2009, 04:55 PM\']Well, I was warned that this place can get lively![/quote]
I assure you, it doesn't always get this dramatic.
-Joe Raygor

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Paul Alter
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2009, 06:39:15 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'215542\' date=\'May 12 2009, 03:31 PM\'][quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'215535\' date=\'May 12 2009, 04:55 PM\']Well, I was warned that this place can get lively![/quote]
I assure you, it doesn't always get this dramatic.
[/quote]
We have some members who argue merely for the sake of arguing, and they are on our radar screen.