Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Paul Alter  (Read 51775 times)

TroubadourNando

Paul Alter
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2009, 11:43:39 PM »
I apologize for not realizing you were a 'she,' pentellit. I also give you a lot of credit for standing up to me and putting me in my place when I acted, well, like a real prick.

I realize now that you actually do have inside information, and my (stupid) remarks were based on the assumption that you were just shooting your mouth off. So, let's actually have the discussion we should have been having from the start, if it wasn't for my arrogance.

I guess I've always been the type to want to see both sides of the story. I always hear about all the bad things Bob and Roger apparently did, yet I've never seen the flipside of that. I just have a hard time believing that both of them were simply pure evil with absolutely not a trace of good in them. I always knew Bob did a lot of bad things, though I will admit the stuff about Roger is new to me; however, I don't think using terms like 'ruthless dictator' really work here either.

Now to your question:

“If the truth and facts of Barker and his boy Roger consistently show that Barker was an ass**** and Roger was his right hand man in all the bad stuff that happened on Price, are you okay with it?”

First off, I can't say I completely understand the line that followed this ("It's okay if you say no..."), since it looks to me like that should say "It's okay if you say yes," but I digress.

I'm not okay with things like what happened to Holly, where she became so destitute that she had to live out of her car after he fired her. But I just can't get myself worked up over two guys being, as you put it, assholes. (I think swearing is okay here...I hope) Being an asshole isn't a crime, otherwise our jails would be one hundred times more overcrowded with prisoners.

In the grand scheme of things for me (and only for me) I have many more worse things to worry about than whether or not a decrepit old man and his best friend are assholes. But, now I understand that it is different for you, and you know, I actually DO completely understand your motivation now. I really do.

pentellit

Paul Alter
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2009, 12:01:38 AM »
Thank you TNando, you're a stand up guy.

Now on the lighter side of posting things, have you guys seen this video?  (Let it be a warning to all of us!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBJB-nunxgE

cmjb13

Paul Alter
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2009, 09:12:41 AM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'214333\' date=\'Apr 28 2009, 10:20 PM\']
“If the truth and facts of Barker and his boy Roger consistently show that Barker was an ass**** and Roger was his right hand man in all the bad stuff that happened on Price, are you okay with it?”
It’s ok if you say “no”, because I have been beaten and/or banned from numerous websites.  Some websites don’t want to hear anything other than Price was one big happy family.  Others have these pseudo authorities who absolutely cannot tolerate someone with genuine inside information or someone who was actually there, that clearly know more than they do.
[/quote]
Pentellit, I really enjoy reading your posts. I have been fortunate enough to visit TPIR many times over the past few years. One incident always sticks out in my mind...

I was visiting TPIR in November 2002. I was in the control booth watching the show. After a contestant won playing 10 chances, she chased after Barker. He tried to hide behind the game until the contestant dragged him out on stage. She was so rough with him, he proceeded to fall to one knee. During the commercial break, Bart was thinking about what should be done. Bob Chic said Barker wants to come back to the control room after the show to see how it looks. After the show is over, I say thank you to Bart for allowing me to watch the show in the booth and proceed to leave. Roger is heading towards the control room and asks where I'm going. I say that I'm leaving as if Barker comes back here, I know my place and it's time to go. He proceeds to tell me to stay. I reluctantly agree. Barker comes in the room and is watching the tape. While the tape is running, he turns his head slightly to the right and gives me the most evil look anyone has ever given me. I'll never forget that as long as I live. Bart eventually decided to eliminate the footage of Barker falling to one knee.

Then there was the 30th Anniversary special from Las Vegas, where after the show Barker came backstage with Syd Vinnedge giving him a standing ovation like it was the best performance he'd ever seen. This after Barker walked off stage during the show.

Man, I really wish I kept a diary/log book of all the stuff I've seen.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:15:29 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

NickS

Paul Alter
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2009, 09:26:45 AM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'214350\' date=\'Apr 28 2009, 10:43 PM\']
Being an asshole isn't a crime, otherwise our jails would be one hundred times more overcrowded with prisoners.
[/quote]

TN:

You're not seeing the point that pentellit is trying to make - that both Bob/Roger would lie through their teeth in order to put other working people down.  Last time I checked, perjury is a crime.  My .02?  You're seeing the label only, not what's wrapped inside it.

What's she's saying, btw, is that it's OK to agree to disagree, which is obvious between you two.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
Paul Alter
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2009, 11:14:37 AM »
I question if all the behind-the-scenes through the years resulted in FremantleMedia canning "Bob's Boy" after Season 36, in the way of getting back at him and using the terms "new direction" in that light.
-Sanford

tvrandywest

Paul Alter
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2009, 01:54:56 PM »
This thread is fascinating reading. Y&R and B&B viewers are missing CBS' most compelling, longest running soap - it's been playing out in 33.

I won't be adding my recollection of any specific incidents or sharing my direct observations or analysis of any of the people being discussed. Instead, I'd like to make a more global comment based on my months working on Price, with many of the people mentioned here, as filtered through my general thoughts on life and people. Just my opinions, no more.

Opinion #1: It's the usual office politics or schoolyard dynamics you'd find anywhere, except on steroids. The same people have worked together for years - some for as long as half a lifetime, Because it's TV it's all with supersized salaries, supersized egos and high stakes. And because it's show biz it remains mostly hidden and sometimes festering behind a benign facade, unlike the office or fast food workers who act outwardly hostile. The result: it's a hothouse environment where things grow bigger, faster, and hotter, with deeper roots and more grandiose blossomings.

Opinion #2: Few people in life are purely evil or purely benevolent. Everyone's primary motivation is survival - creative, financial, and/or emotional nurturing. When people sense their survival is threatened, they respond. Those who respond most are the most insecure. When I see someone behaving with hostility or deceit, I find it as offensive as anyone else does. But I also can see that the person is acting out of their own sense of having their survival threatened. Those who are threatened most easily and react most profoundly are usually the people who have more pain, fear and insecurity in their lives a.k.a. "baggage". When my anger subsides I feel sadness and compassion for those people.

Summary: The basic drama on that set is no different than the drama on other sets I've worked. But it is far bigger, brighter, more colorful, louder, more energized, more pronounced and sometimes more hostile. And because some of it has been playing out for decades, some of it is far more complex and convoluted. It was certainly a learning experience for me, and I now understand that I was already in the drama and politics long before I realized it, by virtue of whose "side" I appeared to be on. It's sad that something that has brought so much joy to the viewing public has been the source of so much hurt and sadness for others.

With respect and with appreciation for the experience,

Randy
tvrandywest.com

OT: I found Paul Alter to be a friendly guy with great stories, who seemed to care about his work and wanted to include some creative shots.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:56:23 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Paul Alter
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2009, 02:49:30 PM »
Standing ovation for Randy.

And Pentellit, here's to a long and healthy stay with us.  (Raising an Aquafina.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:50:53 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

pentellit

Paul Alter
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'214364\' date=\'Apr 29 2009, 06:12 AM\']
Barker comes in the room and is watching the tape. While the tape is running, he turns his head slightly to the right and gives me the most evil look anyone has ever given me. I'll never forget that as long as I live.
[/quote]
Ahhhh cmjb13, you met The Man Behind The Mask.  Its scary isn't it...…

One time I was on the set and I was in the area offstage back behind the production table, and the show was taping, and of course it was really loud with lots of buzzers and clapping and the audience is shouting numbers etc, and then suddenly everything stops.  Barker is yelling, he is furious.  I peeked around the curtain but I couldn't see who Barker was yelling at, so I looked out over the audience and saw 300 people absolutely frozen in their seats.  Their mouths were open, eyes wide, frozen like statues, watching Barker rage.  It was surreal because the whole stage was suddenly totally hear-a-pin-drop silent, except for Barker's fury.  And I realized that I was looking at 300 people who were not breathing.  
I really quickly hurried back to the Green Room and thought, “Boy, everyone in that audience is going to have some story to tell the folks back home about their visit to The Price is Right.”  Scary.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:56:02 AM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Paul Alter
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2009, 02:08:02 AM »
Pentellit! You can't leave us hanging like that! Did you ever learn the reason for this outburst?

pentellit

Paul Alter
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2009, 04:00:29 AM »
^Oh Chris319, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you hanging!  I really don't know what it was about but I vaguely and I mean vaguely recall something about something not working, or something not being where it was supposed to be.  I didn't stick around to find out!  Sorry :(
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:44:12 AM by pentellit »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Paul Alter
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2009, 04:49:41 PM »
Pentellit -

You may call me Chris. Just don't call me late for dinner :-)

I've been in the studio when things have broken down and he didn't fly into a rage, but I don't doubt your account. One time they were playing Bargain Game and the numbers failed to turn. Barker didn't have a tantrum but a certain cranky A.D. did, and this delayed finding an edit point to make an edit and continue. While this was going on, Bob Chic's voice came over the intercom saying "Bob will see you after the show" in a most ominous tone.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:50:38 PM by chris319 »

TheLastResort

Paul Alter
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2009, 05:15:24 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'214621\' date=\'May 1 2009, 03:49 PM\']...Bob Chic's voice came over the intercom saying "Bob will see you after the show" in a most ominous tone. [/quote]

Ouch.  I'm guessing he wasn't talking about one of the models...

Ian Wallis

Paul Alter
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2009, 05:46:02 PM »
^Oh Chris319, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you hanging! I really don't know what it was about but I vaguely and I mean vaguely recall something about something not working, or something not being where it was supposed to be. I didn't stick around to find out! Sorry :(

pentellit, interesting story.  Just out of curiousity, do you recall approximately what year this occurred?

I'm under the impression Barker was a nice guy in the beginning, but got harder and harder to work with as time went on.  Am I on track?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

Paul Alter
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2009, 05:49:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'214631\' date=\'May 1 2009, 05:46 PM\']
I'm under the impression Barker was a nice guy in the beginning, but got harder and harder to work with as time went on.  Am I on track?
[/quote]
I read somewhere (prolly here) that a lot of it stemmed (understandably) from his wife Dorothy Jo's death in 1981. Someone mentioned that she held him in line in many cases, esp. his attitude.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

davemackey

Paul Alter
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2009, 06:05:23 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'214621\' date=\'May 1 2009, 04:49 PM\']
certain cranky A.D.
[/quote]
Who was the AD? Bob Gray?