Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Remembering Johnny O  (Read 5340 times)

pentellit

Remembering Johnny O
« on: April 30, 2009, 02:56:52 AM »
You're right - it will never be a mass- appeal best-seller and it won't make me rich. But that isn't the motivation ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
Randy, Count me in for a copy too!  Here is something on Johnny that Holly wrote to a fan.  I hope you like it.

I consider myself so fortunate to have worked with Johnny.  He was such a fine man and human being.  Did you know that he almost single-handedly funded a summer camp in the south for underprivileged boys?  He never talked about it, never bragged.  He was as humble as he was generous.  And he never said an unkind word about anyone.  He was such a sweet, kind, big hearted man who definitely was The Greatest Announcer in the business.

I remember one day watching Johnny have the flu during taping, vomiting into the wastebasket next to his podium, and the director was telling Johnny to “push it” because we were running behind.  Johnny, sick as he was with the flu, throwing up into the wastebasket, was spitting out copy like a machine gun, and it was flawless!  He truly was The Best in The Biz.  And he loved his work.

It always bothered me that Barker introduced Johnny to the audience as “One of the world’s truly great announcers, Johnny Olson”, while Johnny introduced Barker as “The world’s greatest game show host”.   I hated that.  I always thought Barker should have said “THE world’s greatest announcer, Johnny Olson”, because that’s what he was.

Johnny said something to me that has stayed with me to this day.  He and I were hurrying into the studio at the same time, we were both late (Johnny flew in every taping week and his plane had been delayed landing).  He said “Whenever I’m running late I always say to myself ‘Uh, oh, I’m late, I’d better slow down.’”  It was a funny, “opposites” kind of thing to say, and for some reason it stayed with me.  I can’t tell you how many times I have said it to myself over the years, whenever I’m running late. I say to myself “Uh, oh, I’m late, I’d better slow down.” And I slow down, and I think of Johnny, and I miss him.  Funny how a simple thing like that can stick with you.

I really admired Johnny, he was a twinkle-in-the-eye kind of person, special, a generous and gracious humanitarian who epitomized professionalism.  I feel so blessed to have worked with him.

Thanks for letting me ramble, it’s been really nice remembering Johnny. Warm Wishes, Holly Hallstrom  

GrandGame1440

Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 03:36:41 AM »
Wow, thanks so much for sharing that pentellit.  Did your friend Linda work with Mr. Olson?  If so, does she have any memories of him?  Seems like there are some people an unkind word was never said about, Johnny definitely seems to be one of them.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 05:07:19 AM »
Randy, do you know if Larry King knew Johnny from their Miami days? That's the hook that would get you a guest appearance on Larry King Live, as well as to mention your work on TPIR Live.

Larry was pals with Jackie Gleason and has talked about Gleason many times on his CNN show.

tvrandywest

Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 11:30:28 AM »
Thanks Pentellit. There are a couple of great quotes there from Holly. They echo everyone's recollections of having worked with Johnny and offers a little more on the story of that day he was "tossing his cookies". If you can help substantiate Holly's quotes (date, etc.) I can add a bit of it when I'm reviewing the galley proofs. You can contact me directly if you prefer - randy@tvrandywest.com

[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'214440\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 02:07 AM\']
Randy, do you know if Larry King knew Johnny from their Miami days? That's the hook that would get you a guest appearance on Larry King Live, as well as to mention your work on TPIR Live. Larry was pals with Jackie Gleason and has talked about Gleason many times on his CNN show. [/quote]
Great idea, Chris - one of many from you over the years! Larry was doing his radio show live from Pumpernick's deli restaurant in those days and interviewed anyone and everyone who made themselves available. When I'm done with the book's editing and indexing and move into "post production" I'll look further into that possible connection.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:31:28 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

TroubadourNando

Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 07:16:31 PM »
pentellit - has that story from Holly (which is great, btw) ever been published before? I know I've heard the story about the day Johnny fought the flu during a taping before.

Definitely looking forward to the book, Randy.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:45:35 PM »
There was a radio station in West Virginia IIRC that John used to drop in on from time to time and go on the air. Is that on your radar screen?

tvrandywest

Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'214554\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 04:45 PM\']
There was a radio station in West Virginia IIRC that John used to drop in on from time to time and go on the air. Is that on your radar screen?
[/quote]
I'm all over that like  ____ on _____ !

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

calliaume

Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:33:06 PM »
Randy, who's the publisher?  And do you have a publication month yet?

Please make sure the book gets a good proofread after it's been typeset.  (Of course, if you want me to look at it...)

Looking forward to buying it at my local B&N...

Matt Ottinger

Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 11:34:30 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'214575\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 10:33 PM\']Please make sure the book gets a good proofread after it's been typeset.  (Of course, if you want me to look at it...)[/quote]
You know what would suck?  An over-enthusiastic spell-checker changing every reference to Olsen
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

calliaume

Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 11:57:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'214580\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 10:34 PM\']
You know what would suck?  An over-enthusiastic spell-checker changing every reference to Olsen
[/quote]
That's something the copyeditor should have noted on a style sheet, after checking against a couple of references.  Of course, Chuck Wollery might have a few comments on how accurate that is.

Mr. Game Show

Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 12:00:12 AM »
Hi Randy !

As a huge fan of Mr. Olson, I'd like to wish you all the very best of luck. I will be sure to purchase the book, the moment it's on the shelves. Please keep us posted.

TimK2003

Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'214571\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 09:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'214554\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 04:45 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]

<BUZZ>

Randy, I'd like to guess the first blank...Is it Bob Barker??? ;)

tpirfan28

Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 09:29:12 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'214571\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 09:52 PM\']
[/quote]
like Come on Down?

<buzz>
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

tvrandywest

Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 11:13:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'214585\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 09:00 PM\']
Hi Randy !
As a huge fan of Mr. Olson, I'd like to wish you all the very best of luck. I will be sure to purchase the book, the moment it's on the shelves. Please keep us posted.
[/quote]
Thanks for all the support! So many people have enthusiastically shared their stories of their experiences with Johnny, from "Price" and "Match Game" producers, staffers, and crew, to former CBS execs, to DuMont network surviviors, to John's relatives, to former contestants from shows he hosted in the 1950s! My only sadness is that we're still months away from release which is presently scheduled for late summer. I'll look into planning some sort of signing event to celebrate Johnny's career, but for now it's all about editing, proofing and indexing.

I'll keep everyone informed. Thanks again, Invision family!!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:15:55 AM by tvrandywest »

LetsGoMets2003

Remembering Johnny O
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 02:08:50 PM »
Being the resident Jerry Lewis fan here, just curious, Randy, now that you're in the editing phase, does the book mention how Johnny was the original announcer on the Jerry Lewis Telethon when it was in New York at the Americana?

Can't wait for the book,
James

PS: I guess they stuck with Ed McMahon because he was Jerry's "Good luck charm" from 1968 onwards - why Johnny couldn't make the move to Vegas with them puzzles me, but maybe he was busy with work or it was Lewis' decision.