Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Deal or No Deal" To East Coast  (Read 11678 times)

cmjb13

"Deal or No Deal" To East Coast
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 08:30:07 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'214476\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 12:27 PM\']
I worked the first tape day of DoND at CBS TVCity before it moved to Culver Studios.[/quote]
Oddly enough, I was there too. I recall speaking to you after I saw some of it thinking there's no way this would work in the U.S. Shows you what I know.

I also went to a taping at, IIRC Sunset-Gower after their move from CBS but before the move to Culver. What a dump!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:35:10 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvrandywest

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 09:49:41 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'214562\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 05:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'214476\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 12:27 PM\']
I worked the first tape day of DoND at CBS TVCity before it moved to Culver Studios.[/quote]
Oddly enough, I was there too. I recall speaking to you after I saw some of it thinking there's no way this would work in the U.S. Shows you what I know.

I also went to a taping at, IIRC Sunset-Gower after their move from CBS but before the move to Culver. What a dump!
[/quote]
And I reached a similar conclusion even before tape rolled. Count me among the clueless. But Capitol Records turned down the Beatles, so we're not alone!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

CarShark

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 11:41:39 PM »
Is this a major trend, this exodus of movie and TV production from California to other states? I know that there's been a big deal made about Semi-Pro taping in Flint and the plans for Allen Park in Michigan. And how is the Governator going to fight back? Is his state in good enough shape to offer those kind of tax breaks?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 11:42:55 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'214582\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 08:41 PM\']
Is his state in good enough shape to offer those kind of tax breaks?[/quote]
Heh. His state isn't staying afloat with the revenue they're getting. He doesn't have any money to give up. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'214582\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 11:41 PM\']
Is this a major trend, this exodus of movie and TV production from California to other states?
[/quote]
Dunno about an exodus, but Virginia is definitely lobbying for tax breaks, with a little success.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:17:48 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2009, 06:33:14 PM »
With Jerry and Steve leaving, "Judge Mathis" and "Judge Jeanne Piro" will be the only national shows taping at the NBC Tower.

However, Bonnie Hunt wants to do her show in her hometown of Chicago.  Warners originally told her that they'd discuss that if she stays on at least two years.  I read somewhere that she's now pressuring Warners for a move to Chicago for January 2010.  I assume she knows that a studio at WMAQ, her station in Chicago, will be empty come fall.

Interestingly enough, Bonnie also currently tapes at the Culver Studios.

Gameshowcrackers

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 11:01:24 AM »
Have to say that I might be in a minority here but I'm against this trend.

Los Angeles / Hollywood is the spiritual home of the game show industry and should remain so.

Nevertheless, they did try to relocate the industry to Florida in the early 1990s (the last incarnation of Let's Make a Deal & Family Secrets were two such shows) because of the availablility of cheap labor and lower taxes but when all said and done it never really supplanted LA as the game show capital of the world and I cannot see this latest announcement leading to a mass exodus of game shows from the Hollywood area either.
This is Gameshowcrackers speaking for The Game Show Forum, a Mark Goodson Television Production

Offshored2007

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 11:03:05 AM »
Can this studio do HD?

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 12:15:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Offshored2007\' post=\'215036\' date=\'May 6 2009, 10:03 AM\']Can this studio do HD?[/quote]

By what I've read, the studios are just bare soundstages. They would bring in a remote truck for TV production.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 12:16:55 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 03:19:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowcrackers\' post=\'215035\' date=\'May 6 2009, 10:01 AM\']Have to say that I might be in a minority here but I'm against this trend.

Los Angeles / Hollywood is the spiritual home of the game show industry and should remain so.[/quote]

Well, if there's no money left to be made in Hollywood, are you then advocating for the downfall of the game show industry?

Sure seems like it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 05:13:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowcrackers\' post=\'215035\' date=\'May 6 2009, 11:01 AM\']Los Angeles / Hollywood is the spiritual home of the game show industry and should remain so.[/quote]
New York City would like to have a talk with you.

BrandonFG

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2009, 05:22:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowcrackers\' post=\'215035\' date=\'May 6 2009, 11:01 AM\']Have to say that I might be in a minority here but I'm against this trend.[/quote]
One game show relocating to another city does not a trend make. As healthy as the genre is right now (not including the possibility of daytime game shows returning), I don't think any city will challenge L.A. or N.Y. anytime soon.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

ChuckNet

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2009, 10:02:48 PM »
Wow...I work in Westchester, just a short hop from Stamford, and you can bet I'll be attending a taping or 2. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Thrilled "Chuckie Baby")

dscungio

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 08:59:45 PM »
BuzzerBlog reports that the page to get tickets to the Waterford, CT, studio is up and linked here.  Right now, the only available dates are Tuesday, 7/28 at 9 a.m., Wednesday, 7/29 at 3 p.m. and Thursday, 7/30 at 9 a.m.  Tickets are free.  If anyone in Southern New England is serious about setting up a road trip/group meet, then we had better start organizing.

Dean

Timsterino

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2009, 01:58:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowcrackers\' post=\'215035\' date=\'May 6 2009, 11:01 AM\']Have to say that I might be in a minority here but I'm against this trend.

Los Angeles / Hollywood is the spiritual home of the game show industry and should remain so.

Nevertheless, they did try to relocate the industry to Florida in the early 1990s (the last incarnation of Let's Make a Deal & Family Secrets were two such shows) because of the availablility of cheap labor and lower taxes but when all said and done it never really supplanted LA as the game show capital of the world and I cannot see this latest announcement leading to a mass exodus of game shows from the Hollywood area either.[/quote]

Let me guess, just a hunch here, you were born after 1980?