Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: game show making software  (Read 3099 times)

gamenut

game show making software
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:40:48 PM »
hey everyone

does anybody know any type of easy to use software (i am computer illterate i've tried basic and was completely stumped) that doesn't cost any money (I'm broke) that can make game show sets and keeps score (basically a game control)

help is greatly appreicated

thanks

JayDLewis

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 09:03:32 PM »
Since you said you're "computer illiterate," the quick answer is "there is none."

Adobe Flash is fairly easy to use but it's expensive and the learning curve can be steep.

Some folks on this board have made controls with Microsoft Powerpoint. It is also expensive but a freeware option might be included in OpenOffice (openoffice.org). I don't use OO, so I don't know if that option is even available.

/In before the snark.

*Edited to fix spelling. Abode = house. Adobe = $199 car.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:20:37 PM by JayDLewis »
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 09:30:09 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'214658\' date=\'May 1 2009, 09:03 PM\']Abode Flash[/quote]That's the software where you show people your sundry appendages in your own home. ;)
But, yeah, I made my Million Dollar Password game control in PowerPoint. It was a painstaking process, but it's a lot easier for those illiterates, like me. But, a lot of games you want to make won't translate well in PowerPoint. MDP is just one that happened to work nicely.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 09:33:13 PM by chad1m »

dazztardly

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 01:02:11 AM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'214658\' date=\'May 1 2009, 08:03 PM\']
Since you said you're "computer illiterate," the quick answer is "there is none."

Adobe Flash is fairly easy to use but it's expensive and the learning curve can be steep.

Some folks on this board have made controls with Microsoft Powerpoint. It is also expensive but a freeware option might be included in OpenOffice (openoffice.org). I don't use OO, so I don't know if that option is even available.

/In before the snark.

*Edited to fix spelling. Abode = house. Adobe = $199 car.
[/quote]

Hahaha! In terms of ease and graphic presentation, Flash is tight software to work with. All the projects I did for online and tv, were done in Flash.

Powerpoint is an accquired taste, either you'll like it or not.

-Dan

pacdude

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 02:58:30 AM »
[quote name=\'gamenut\' post=\'214644\' date=\'May 1 2009, 06:40 PM\']
hey everyone

does anybody know any type of easy to use software (i am computer illterate i've tried basic and was completely stumped) that doesn't cost any money (I'm broke) that can make game show sets and keeps score (basically a game control)

thanks
[/quote]

If you really don't want to learn any new software and don't want to pay any money to make game show sets and keep score, might I suggest index cards and sharpies then?

rjaguar3

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 03:30:25 AM »
I have used Blender to create 3-D sets; however, I manually change all the displays and such; I haven't figured out how to do any programming yet.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 06:00:35 AM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'214658\' date=\'May 1 2009, 06:03 PM\']
Some folks on this board have made controls with Microsoft Powerpoint. It is also expensive but a freeware option might be included in OpenOffice (openoffice.org). I don't use OO, so I don't know if that option is even available.[/quote]
Yes. Impress is OOo's PowerPoint equivalent. I don't know if it can be used to make interactive presentations like we've seen done in PowerPoint, but it's capable of opening PowerPoint files, so I would guess it can.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 06:01:08 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 07:19:34 AM »
[quote name=\'gamenut\' post=\'214644\' date=\'May 1 2009, 06:40 PM\']
hey everyone

thanks
[/quote]
If you were able to use a computer to make this post, you are not computer illiterate.  You may be programming illiterate, which is a different beast entirely.  And if Basic stumped you, Flash will send you to suicide.  As mentioned below, better off with Powerpoint or its non-union equivalent.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 02:14:27 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'214702\' date=\'May 2 2009, 04:19 AM\']
And if Basic stumped you, Flash will send you to suicide.[/quote]
That's for sure. Flash is the greatest example of software-not-being-used-for-its-intended-purpose that I have ever seen. To try to learn it having never programmed *at all* is sheer lunacy.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 03:28:54 PM »
If you're looking to make one for a specific game show, and you haven't had any real luck with programming, you might just want to take the L on this one and download a game control from here:
http://www.qwizx.com/gameshows/gscontrols/index.html

or here:
http://www.folff.com/BASICGames/index.html

It's probably the option you don't want to take, but it just might save you hours of frustration and a broken computer screen.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 03:42:48 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'214724\' date=\'May 2 2009, 02:14 PM\']Flash is the greatest example of software-not-being-used-for-its-intended-purpose that I have ever seen.[/quote]
Oh?*

I have plans to do a game show in Flash, only because it would be fairly straightforward to code.

*-honest remark.  You probably have more computer expertise than me and my 3 classes of Java.
This signature is currently under construction.

dazztardly

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 04:08:29 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'214724\' date=\'May 2 2009, 01:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'214702\' date=\'May 2 2009, 04:19 AM\']
And if Basic stumped you, Flash will send you to suicide.[/quote]
That's for sure. Flash is the greatest example of software-not-being-used-for-its-intended-purpose that I have ever seen. To try to learn it having never programmed *at all* is sheer lunacy.
[/quote]

Well I'll concurr with that. Those who never learned Basic programming skills, can find the curve more difficult for writing games.

Just imagine the headache I endured of writing the game show Lingo in flash. =p

ITSBRY

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 03:19:55 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'214727\' date=\'May 2 2009, 03:28 PM\']
If you're looking to make one for a specific game show, and you haven't had any real luck with programming, you might just want to take the L on this one and download a game control from here:
http://www.qwizx.com/gameshows/gscontrols/index.html
[/quote]

Never seen these...thanks for posting this link!