Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Make A Deal Pilot in the Works for CBS  (Read 25523 times)

aaron sica

Let's Make A Deal Pilot in the Works for CBS
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2009, 02:43:33 PM »
For the sake of nostalgia, I wouldn't mind seeing a pairing of a CBS sitcom and game show. The CBS sitcom would definitely be a cheap filler (no production costs)...How about an hour comprised of Pyramid, followed by "The Big Bang Theory"? Not that I've gotten absolutely hooked on that show or anything...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2009, 03:12:07 PM »
TJW won't work in daytime for the reasons Allen Koss gave a couple of Congreffs ago: Q&A games don't work as well in daytime as they do in prime access.

If DOOL costs $1.6 million per week for five one-hour shows, half of that (a half hour) would be $800,000 per week. You could easily bring in a cheap half-hour game (Pyramid) for half of that: $400,000 per week. So tell me again, why did the networks ditch game shows in the '90s?

Allstar87

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2009, 04:23:33 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'215042\' date=\'May 6 2009, 11:57 AM\']On an unrelated note, did the combination lock pilot ever leak?[/quote]

The choice for host eventually leaked, if IMDb is to be believed.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2009, 04:24:53 PM »
It's to be believed.  He was just as bad there.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2009, 05:04:57 PM »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

calliaume

« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215075\' date=\'May 6 2009, 02:12 PM\']TJW won't work in daytime for the reasons Allen Koss gave a couple of Congreffs ago: Q&A games don't work as well in daytime as they do in prime access.[/quote]
So much for my thought of pairing up Let's Make a Deal with Split Second -- possible additional cost savings by having just one production company involved.

Neumms

« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2009, 06:27:38 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'215094\' date=\'May 6 2009, 05:03 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215075\' date=\'May 6 2009, 02:12 PM\']TJW won't work in daytime for the reasons Allen Koss gave a couple of Congreffs ago: Q&A games don't work as well in daytime as they do in prime access.[/quote]
So much for my thought of pairing up Let's Make a Deal with Split Second -- possible additional cost savings by having just one production company involved.
[/quote]

Maybe if they used "pop culture" questions and expanded the car segment? Perhaps by introducing the contestant's family and offering to buy back the key?

alfonzos

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2009, 06:33:25 PM »
While I am glad to see the network bringing game shows back, I am a little disapointed to read that it is revivaing old titles rather than trying something new. Or at least revive Whew!
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

BrandonFG

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2009, 06:36:30 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'215101\' date=\'May 6 2009, 06:33 PM\']While I am glad to see the network bringing game shows back, I am a little disapointed to read that it is revivaing old titles rather than trying something new. Or at least revive Whew![/quote]
IMO, since it's been so long since someone tried a new network daytime game, it's easier to go with an established, proven format. That way, if it takes off, then other networks could possibly follow suit with new concept.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2009, 07:17:05 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'215103\' date=\'May 6 2009, 06:36 PM\'][quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'215101\' date=\'May 6 2009, 06:33 PM\']While I am glad to see the network bringing game shows back, I am a little disapointed to read that it is revivaing old titles rather than trying something new. Or at least revive Whew![/quote]
IMO, since it's been so long since someone tried a new network daytime game, it's easier to go with an established, proven format. That way, if it takes off, then other networks could possibly follow suit with new concept.
[/quote]

You know, I can't help wondering....If CBS does indeed program the former GL slot with game shows, and they *do* take off, I wonder if daytime television could start to see some more game shows. I can't imagine ABC would program any.....Their four hours of daytime, I would imagine, are pretty solid. NBC could be interested if DooL leaves....

tpirfan28

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2009, 08:01:02 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'215106\' date=\'May 6 2009, 06:17 PM\']You know, I can't help wondering....If CBS does indeed program the former GL slot with game shows, and they *do* take off, I wonder if daytime television could start to see some more game shows. I can't imagine ABC would program any.....Their four hours of daytime, I would imagine, are pretty solid. NBC could be interested if DooL leaves....[/quote]
An extreme longshot, but I was thinking the same thing.  NBC would be the logical option...I wonder if the games are give the 10AM slot and take off, if NBC would counter with games (Concentration dammit), then split DooL's slot - give the affiliates 1/2 hr and keep 1/2 hr for a midday news (to program after the noon news).

/I think I did that right.
//Bye bye Hoda and Kathie!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 08:01:46 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

jimlangefan

« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2009, 08:53:09 PM »

In this case it would have still been two production companies.  Fremantle owns ONLY Let's Make A Deal.  Hatos-Hall still exists and owns the rest of their shows.
TV's Big Dealer

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'215094\' date=\'May 6 2009, 03:03 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215075\' date=\'May 6 2009, 02:12 PM\']TJW won't work in daytime for the reasons Allen Koss gave a couple of Congreffs ago: Q&A games don't work as well in daytime as they do in prime access.[/quote]
So much for my thought of pairing up Let's Make a Deal with Split Second -- possible additional cost savings by having just one production company involved.[/quote]
No cost savings having one production company involved.

To be attractive to CBS you don't want a Q&A show because a) they tend not to do well in daytime compared to nighttime (e.g. 1978 Jeopardy! and Tic Tac Dough, Whew!, Double Dare, etc.) and b) it costs money to run a question mill. Writers and researchers cost money. TJW doesn't burn through material as rapidly as J!, Whew! or Split Second, but Dating Game, LMAD and even Pyramid use a much more modest volume of material.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 08:58:58 PM by chris319 »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215117\' date=\'May 6 2009, 08:57 PM\']TJW doesn't burn through material as rapidly as J!, Whew! or Split Second, but Dating Game, LMAD and even Pyramid use a much more modest volume of material.[/quote]
Dating Game seems like the best choice in that regard, considering you can use the same questions over and over simply by swapping out the more colorful adjectives and nouns.  Pyramid requires a bit more thought when trying to reuse stuff and LMAD requires actual set pieces, which will probably cost more.
This signature is currently under construction.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2009, 10:34:45 PM »
LMAD requires a large stage crew to move prizes and set pieces around, much like TPIR. That's an expense.