Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Make A Deal Pilot in the Works for CBS  (Read 25528 times)

BrandonFG

Let's Make A Deal Pilot in the Works for CBS
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2009, 11:01:22 PM »
Average LMaD episode (from any era) offered what?...the figures in parentheses are current estimates

-living room/dinette or kitchen set (about $2,500-4,000)
-various smaller appliances like a washer-dryer ($1,000)
-computer (could get a decent laptop for about $750)
-cash (maybe $10,000 at the most per episode)
-a car ($15,000-20,000)

Then maybe the Big Deal, which was often the very same car and other stuff, so let's say the Big Deal is along the lines of the average second Showcase ($30,000?)

So, about $40,000+ per ep. minimum, which is about $200K a week...let's make it $250K (sit down, Lesko!). Again, add crew and what not (including folks to move the backdrops/curtains around), and by my math, still about a $500K budget (so right on par with a new Pyramid, and still significantly lower than even a half-hour soap.

Oh, and the large art card "billboards" for Dairy Queen or Big Boy? How difficult is it to do the same thing on a video wall?

Now, you look at two games that would cost a minimum half-mil per week, then yes, Dating Game would look like a more viable companion show, all things considered (the reduced, if not, free trips provided).
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

calliaume

« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2009, 11:07:43 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'215124\' date=\'May 6 2009, 10:01 PM\']Now, you look at two games that would cost a minimum half-mil per week, then yes, Dating Game would look like a more viable companion show, all things considered (the reduced, if not, free trips provided).[/quote]
Viable in all ways except the show has not done well at all in its recent revivals, and somebody at CBS is bound to figure out this year's attempt to bring it back with Newlywed Game failed, even if they stumble in here to do it.

Still, give CBS credit for doing something that makes sense both economically and historically.  (It feels like September 1972 all over again kids.  Or at least September 1982.)

BrandonFG

« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2009, 11:16:18 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'215125\' date=\'May 6 2009, 11:07 PM\']Viable in all ways except the show has not done well at all in its recent revivals, and somebody at CBS is bound to figure out this year's attempt to bring it back with Newlywed Game failed, even if they stumble in here to do it.[/quote]
Ah yes...I forgot we already went through that part. ;-)

I agree on giving CBS credit...something's to be said when you can potentially do two games for less than the price of a soap opera (no matter how many corners you cut)...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

SteveR

« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2009, 11:25:01 AM »
Have they already decided that lighter-weight fare such as LMaD and Dating is where they want to go? Is Pyramid already off the table? What, too much thought involved?

I hope that's not the right read on this.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2009, 12:04:23 PM »
So, about $40,000+ per ep. minimum, which is about $200K a week...let's make it $250K
Way too high. Cut it in half. Not all of the prizes will be won, and unlike the old days, the show will not necessarily get the manufacturers' promotional discounts of days gone by (c.f. TPIR). More like $100,000 for prizes, $200,000 for above the line and licensing and $100,000 for below the line = apx. $400,000 per week by my back-of-the-envelope estimate.

wheelloon

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2009, 02:43:08 PM »
Just surfing the web randomly, I found a link to this article via AOL about LMAD's potential revival.

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/05/08/i...e-a-deal-again/

The author points out a number of factors, most of which I agree with, some of which have been brought up here, in why LMAD would be an appealing show to revive in today's time, and makes some comparisons (again...) to DoND. It seems, from what I've read so far, there are a decent number of people online, outside of the disgruntled GL fans, really gunning for this to happen. I especially got a chuckle out of his line "the show's prevailing sense of doom." Amen, sir.

With the recent casting call posted on Craigslist, which many signs seem to point towards it being for Pyramid, and the hype an LMaD revival is getting, I'll place my idealistic bets on those two getting the nod. Again though, it just could be my idealistic, overly biased game show mentality again, but hell, it would be the first hour of appointment afternoon TV I've had personally since... uh... *thinks*... 1995?... wow.
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

BrandonFG

« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2009, 02:55:36 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'216329\' date=\'May 22 2009, 02:43 PM\']http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/05/08/i...e-a-deal-again/[/quote]
The comments make my head hurt.

calliaume

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2009, 04:24:33 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'216333\' date=\'May 22 2009, 01:55 PM\']The comments make my head hurt.[/quote]
Agreed.  I realize I'm sort of sitting in the lions' den when I say this, but on the information superhighway, everybody has an opinion that gets aired -- opinions that, 50 years ago, wouldn't have gotten printed in "Letters to the Editor" (the only place where you could talk back; talk radio not quite having been invented).  Or, as John Lennon once said (he probably wasn't the first), "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2009, 04:35:21 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'216348\' date=\'May 22 2009, 01:24 PM\']"Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one."[/quote]
...and they usually stink. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
yes they need 2 bring back JERICHO and not some dumb game show we need education programs 4 kids and other people so bring back jericho
This one wins it for me.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2009, 04:50:03 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'216354\' date=\'May 22 2009, 04:45 PM\']
yes they need 2 bring back JERICHO and not some dumb game show we need education programs 4 kids and other people so bring back jericho
This one wins it for me.
[/quote]
Apparently said poster could use some "education programs 4 kids and other people".

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2009, 05:06:55 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'216355\' date=\'May 22 2009, 01:50 PM\']Apparently said poster could use some "education programs 4 kids and other people".[/quote]
Approves
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JayDLewis

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'216355\' date=\'May 22 2009, 03:50 PM\'][quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'216354\' date=\'May 22 2009, 04:45 PM\']
This one wins it for me.
[/quote]
Apparently said poster could use some "education programs 4 kids and other people".
[/quote]

And maps and such as.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2009, 05:17:32 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'216354\' date=\'May 22 2009, 03:45 PM\']
This one wins it for me.
[/quote]

I hate Jericho fans, I really do.

/waiting for someone to just say "The show's cancelled, get over it"
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Hastin

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'216360\' date=\'May 22 2009, 02:17 PM\']"The show's cancelled, get over it"[/quote]

QFT. Shows come and go, and it's sad when you lose a show you like. However, in today's 'GIVE IT TO MEEEEEE!' society, small groups expect expensive programs to be created only for them or their interests - and not the viewing public as a whole.
-Hastin :)